Breaking news from DCS….

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Not a DCS fan as such but heard a side by side comparison today with one of the first new units in the UK. A personal choice if you believe the hyperbole

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not a DCS fan as such but heard a side by side comparison today with one of the first new units in the UK. A personal choice if you believe the hyperbole
That's interesting. Does that mean you were not particularly impressed by the new upgrade? I am sure many would appreciate any listening notes...including if you simply felt they sounded the same!

Last edited:

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Can you please explain? I have always thought most upgrades, changes, etc. are just different. Not necessarily good or bad, just different.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Hope my comments weren’t deliberately cryptic sounding.
I was played several tracks I am familiar with on both the current/existing and upgraded models but on an unfamiliar system, but it cost north of £250k.
It wasn’t a hyper critical listening test, I was there for something else entirely. There seemed to be a little more presence and detail and sure will be of interest as an upgrade to all DCS users.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hope my comments weren’t deliberately cryptic sounding.
I was played several tracks I am familiar with on both the current/existing and upgraded models but on an unfamiliar system, but it cost north of £250k.
It wasn’t a hyper critical listening test, I was there for something else entirely. There seemed to be a little more presence and detail and sure will be of interest as an upgrade to all DCS users.
Thanks and good to know. Will be interesting to read what others think.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) There seemed to be a little more presence and detail and sure will be of interest as an upgrade to all DCS users.

More presence and detail? Nice to know. What was the model being listened?

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I believe it was a Rossini, but as my earlier posts, they are not my taste digitally (I use K-01xd and G-01x from Esoteric) and had gone to the dealers to purchase something else entirely, and this just happened to be in use (same speaker brand as mine only a few models higher up) whilst we were there.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Reactions: jfrech

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I put my deposit down on Friday to get in the queue.

Reactions: ALF

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congrats to all! Look forward to reading all about it...what is the ETA for the upgrade?
Haha, I'm not exactly sure. Depends where I am in line. Guessing May...

Do you want me to send you $10K USD also? All you have to do is say something of mine is upgrading, put out a press release saying something interesting, maybe a video on Facebook for added authenticity, and then promise delivery in the future.

(I hope everyone gets I am joking-Lloyd is however going to hold me to the 10k :)

Reactions: Lee, ALF and Bobvin

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Haha, I'm not exactly sure. Depends where I am in line. Guessing May...

Do you want me to send you $10K USD also? All you have to do is say something of mine is upgrading, put out a press release saying something interesting, maybe a video on Facebook for added authenticity, and then promise delivery in the future.

(I hope everyone gets I am joking-Lloyd is however going to hold me to the 10k :)
You keep the $10K...just send me your DCS instead!

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
I would like to know for those who has heard the APEX vs non APEX iterations what your comments are :

1) more transparent, more detailed

OR

2) more organic, more natural

Thanks.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I would like to know for those who has heard the APEX vs non APEX iterations what your comments are :

1) more transparent, more detailed

OR

2) more organic, more natural

Thanks.

My dealer gets his early next week. I expect it'll take a few days of breakin then he is going to bring it by so we can both hear the Apex and Non Apex in the exact same system. Also after he brings it by, it'll take a day or so to warm back up. The dCS gear always seems to need (to me) at least 24 hours being power up before it sounds it's best.

I've already put in my order, so this isn't a decision for me, it's more I'm sincerely curious. Stay tuned, more to come

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Our distributor got his demo APEX Vivaldi yesterday. A good friend rushed to listen and reported that it sounds different from the original - he used enthusiastic words similar to those used by our members in the thread about a top competing DAC. As he is a vinyl listener and vinyl enthusiast he reported "more like top analog"! ;)

As I live far from the shop, I will wait for a few days of burn-in before listening to it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing