Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Wow, learn something new everyday- Gwyneth Paltrow has a 15K gold dildo :D

Looks like it may may a great remote control as well

View attachment 87234

I have heard it said all conversations degenerate to sex or farts. Here we go…

caesar

May 30, 2010

View attachment 87234

She's also selling a whip for $535 or $550. A pretty good whip can be had for $30 or so.... :)

According to Stereophonic, this DAC has been selling well. It must be going to ultra-rich guys looking for the highest price, and thus personal luxury is of priority, as we haven't seen too many comments about it from the owners on the web forums...the guys really passionate about good sound would have surely chimed in by now and told us how much better it is than what they ..

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying personal luxuries!

Reactions: Hifi man

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have heard it said all conversations degenerate to sex or farts. Here we go…
Degenerate?!?!!? :) :) :) What are your priorities, sir? :) :) :)

I think you are missing the point , with all due respect. This is a luxury site for audio. Personal luxury is personal luxury.

Many guys who own expensive audio gear aren't online, bragging about their stuff, yet just enjoy by themselves, in their homes.

I think many people have a misconception about luxury. Obviously, many people see luxuries as a desire to spend more. It's a rat race to keep up with the Joneses. And status competition is part of human life - bigger house or nicer car to show off to friends and neighbors, saying "I am better than you." But only superficial people , filled with status anxiety and insecure about their worth would care about those signals to others. I will take my Zu speaker system with a SET integrated , for the emotion of music it can bring out of the recordings over the wilson wamm with dcs any day. But I will take the MBL Xtreme system when the time is right.

And I am not suggesting that spending and pleasure are illegitimate in any way! The more freedom, the better our life is, so we can have all of these luxuries.

Fortunately, we live in a society that long, long ago got out of the necessities frame of mind. We live in a rich society, and people buy many things they don't need. Like audio. :) Actually, people don't really need air conditioning or indoor plumbing to survive.

Remarkably, the market for most things has moved beyond the basic functionality and rock bottom prices toward aesthetic, comfort, and pleasure issues, for pretty much everything. This trend started in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, depending on the product class.

And if one looks at human history, going back to the earliest recorded moments, like carvings in caves, humans have always desired luxury! No one sees a $750 toilet brush in the corner of the bathroom or the $15K dildo, or many of the audio components members here have. But these are all luxuries for our personal pleasure. God Bless the free economic systems that allow us all to enjoy the things we enjoy!

Happy New Year!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ceasar,

It is curious that you systematically come to an high-end forum where most members are knowledgeable audiophiles trying to nip the hobby and the people involved in it.

IMHO WBF is not a site for luxury audio. This is mainly a site where we debate stereo sound reproduction, the gear used in the hobby, systems, rooms and preferences.

Wadax and dCS are not essentially luxury audio. They represent the SOTA of digital playback, at several prices. People essentially buy them for performance, not status.

Surely using dictionary definitions we can class anything superfluous as luxury. And a few people buy high-end for status and bling, no point hiding it. But fortunately they are not significant in this forum.

Happy New Year!

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Reactions: Hifi man

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
That I would like to see :D

They would be perfect a perfect match for the new Nordost Odin Gold speaker cables.

Reactions: Lagonda

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
May I ask in a small voice - any replacement for the Vivaldi in the horizon ? Need to start saving up. Business not so good nowadays.

TLi

May 27, 2016
May I ask in a small voice - any replacement for the Vivaldi in the horizon ? Need to start saving up. Business not so good nowadays.
The Vivaldi replacement is called Dvorak. It has monoblock DAC's which comes with a controller and a clock. No CD transport to begin with. Everything is ready. dCS is waiting for the right moment to launch.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
TLi,

Thanks for the insight. No transport ? That's a blow for me.

Any idea what file as source or streamer is the recommended match ? Or is it going to be via Mosaic ?

TLi

May 27, 2016
TLi,

Any idea what file as source or streamer is the recommended match ? Or is it going to be via Mosaic ?
The Dvorak controller is like Vivaldi upsampler. It is a network bridge. Vivaldi transport can be used with Dvorak. There is a problem in sourcing a high quality SACD/CD transport mechanism, so they have to wait and see.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
The Dvorak controller is like Vivaldi upsampler. It is a network bridge. Vivaldi transport can be used with Dvorak. There is a problem in sourcing a high quality SACD/CD transport mechanism, so they have to wait and see.
TLi,

Again, thanks for the insight.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
TLi,

Any idea on performance difference from the Vivaldi? Knowing dCS, it's possibly substantial. I assume they'll offer higher rates to on DSD and DXD??

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
TLi,

Joeling, when I bought my Vivaldi Transport years ago, my opinion was pretty set that this is likely the last transport from dCS - due to mechanism availability and most people moving on from physical media. Assuming TLi statements are correct, I'd keep my Vivaldi Transport going forward with the newer DAC/Controller/Clock. I hope the looks match. And hoping this isn't 5 boxes !! now (2xDAC, 1xController, 1xClock, 1xUpsampler)

Last edited:

TLi

May 27, 2016
TLi,

Any idea on performance difference from the Vivaldi? Knowing dCS, it's possibly substantial. I assume they'll offer higher rates to on DSD and DXD??
No one outside dCS has listened to Dvorak yet. I can also assume it is significantly better than Vivaldi which was developed nearly 10 year ago.

There is very little information about the spec so far. The framework is ready. Details will be finalised and is subjected to changes.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The Vivaldi replacement is called Dvorak. It has monoblock DAC's which comes with a controller and a clock. No CD transport to begin with. Everything is ready. dCS is waiting for the right moment to launch.
If the four box sans transport rumors prove to be true I might be moving on from dCS. That is too much space and too many cables.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

View attachment 87234

This thread seems to have faded out, so I’ll re-derail it with this interesting well written article that offers a particular insight into a thin layer of capitalism that is part of our culture. The third paragraph is rich:

https://unherd.com/2022/01/the-curse-of-the-girlboss/

How much do we allow the grifters to exist in our own hobby?

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
This thread seems to have faded out, so I’ll re-derail it with this interesting well written article that offers a particular insight into a thin layer of capitalism that is part of our culture. The third paragraph is rich:

https://unherd.com/2022/01/the-curse-of-the-girlboss/

How much do we allow the grifters to exist in our own hobby?

Caveat Emptor...Making the comparison to the Elizabeth Holmes case is a bit of stretch. If there are grifters in the hobby it's our job to as buyers to weed them out with some preliminary questions, and do our due diligence and listen to the gear before we make a final buying decision. It's also incumbent on the dealer to spend the time to help the client understand what they are purchasing.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Caveat Emptor...Making the comparison to the Elizabeth Holmes case is a bit of stretch. If there are grifters in the hobby it's our job to do our DD and listen to the gear before we make a final buying decision. It's also incumbent on the dealer to spend the time to help the client understand what they are purchasing.

Just to be sure (and not saying you are connecting), my post is not a comment in any way on dCS.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing