Avalon Osiris , my next project!

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi shakti

Congratulations, I hope the Osiris’s are everything you hoped for and then some.

How do the Osiris’s compare to the Isis? I’m a big fan of Avalon speakers and have been for many years. My first Avalon purchase was a pair of the Opus Ceramique because I have a smaller listening room. It turns out they were a perfect fit for the room. I realized that they were not a great fit with many amps I tried. I wound up with a Burmeister 956 MK2, that amp worked very well with those speakers.

I’ll never forget my experience with a pair of Isis speakers in my friends hifi store. We set them up one day in his big listening room (30 x 24) and at the time he had a pair of the four chassis Rowland mono blocks, the model 925 hc’s that worked really well with the Isis. We spent a couple hours dialing them in and finally found the sweet spot. Not exactly an easy speaker to set up, but well worth the effort. All I can say is, what a spectacular speaker! To this day, I have never heard better bass, it was mind blowing. The midrange and high’s were also amazing and the soundstage was incredible.

Happy listening. Take care.

Best regards
Scot

Reactions: shakti

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Avalon speakers do like Jeff Rowland Amps :)
I had two JRDG 825 Stereo Amps driving in BiAmping config the Osiris, very nice and powerful.

But finally I changed to Audionet Heisenberg monoAmps, which do have similar power with a little higher resolution and a more neutral voicing.

The Osiris is an older Avalon Design, Neil Patel did that time a little more laid back voicing, the modern Designs, as Isis have a more contemporary voicing. Difficult to explain , what this change means, if listening to music.

May be the OSIRIS tells you better "why" the musicians are playing, the ISIS shows you in detail "what" the musicians are playing.

In terms of soundstage, they are both real Avalons and can impress in this regard.

south

Nov 4, 2011
Avalon speakers do like Jeff Rowland Amps :)
I had two JRDG 825 Stereo Amps driving in BiAmping config the Osiris, very nice and powerful.

But finally I changed to Audionet Heisenberg monoAmps, which do have similar power with a little higher resolution and a more neutral voicing.

The Osiris is an older Avalon Design, Neil Patel did that time a little more laid back voicing, the modern Designs, as Isis have a more contemporary voicing. Difficult to explain , what this change means, if listening to music.

May be the OSIRIS tells you better "why" the musicians are playing, the ISIS shows you in detail "what" the musicians are playing.

In terms of soundstage, they are both real Avalons and can impress in this regard.
Shakti,
Have you heard the Avalon Saga? It sounds a bit different from the Isis. I never heard the Osiris, which was discontinued a few years ago, but I agree with your view that some of the older designs (for Avalon and others) remain very interesting and can sound fantastic with current amplification and sources.

Reactions: Johan K

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Shakti,
Have you heard the Avalon Saga? It sounds a bit different from the Isis. I never heard the Osiris, which was discontinued a few years ago, but I agree with your view that some of the older designs (for Avalon and others) remain very interesting and can sound fantastic with current amplification and sources.
Unfortuntely I had no chance to listen to the Saga, but hopefully I will find an opportunity :)

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Shakti,
Have you heard the Avalon Saga? It sounds a bit different from the Isis.
Hi south. Obviously you have heard both. Can you describe the difference please.

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
I have a pair of Avalon Saga's and before that I had the Isis.
The Saga are on a much higher plane than the Isis.A bettr comparision is the
Saga and the tesseract.
Totally incredible speakers in every way,even pretty efficient.
Regards Robert

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Reactions: Adimon

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
After more than 2 years with the Avalon Acoustics Osiris System I am still happy, to listen to music with this system.

The walk of changing components to manage the gain needed to drive the Avalon Osiris has find an end (for this time).
( so I can focus on source quality)

Even with Audionet Heisenberg power the last dynamic punch was missing, but as from the theory the Heisenberg power should be enough to drive the Osiris in my room, I started to listen to different preamplifiers.

And it became clear, that the Audionet Stern was limiting the perceived punch and energy of the whole system.

Not as component as such, but in conjunction with 10m signal cables between the PreAmp and the Heisenberg.

Using only 2m long cables made a big difference and gave me a flavor, what to expect....

I changed than from NBS Black Label I / Black Label III to a MIT cables, which are more easy to drive over the long distance.

But finally I moved over to a Soulution 720 Preamp. The Soulution output stage is capable to drive long cables without a constraint, so no longer such a big difference in performance between a 2m and my 10m connection cable.

Listening to Digital still showed, that impedance matching between signal source and preamp is also an important factor for the complete gain management. My DACs over the time (Brinkmann, Odeon, Lampizator) played with more perceived energy than my analog set up.

The biggest step to equal this was the implementation of the Phasemation EA-2000 Phonostage, which is now my preferred source. The EA-2000 added bass control and energy to the complete system like no other phono stage before.

I had to update my DAC accordingly to Lampizator Baltic 4 plus Antipodes Oladra to compete again, now both sources chains work fine in this set up.

The level of transported emotions while listening to digital music (please listen to "sound of silence" acoustic version from "the ghost of Johnny Cash") arrived to the next other level, I would say.

2 year ago I would not have believed, that this performance is possible with the Avalon Osiris system.

No I am still fine tuning my analog set up, looking for the next preferred tonearm.

The TechDAS Tonearmbase for the Durand Tosca just arrived, the base for the Kuzma Safir 9 tonearm is in production.

The Safir 9 already shows on my Basis Debit turntable his capability, but has to move over to the AF3P turntable.

Again, some interesting month to come to explore the potential next level of the Osiris system.

Neil Patel definitely developed a speaker master peace 2 decades ago.

some more pics of the Avalon Osiris System in my 60sqm listening room.

IMG_0767.jpg IMG_0768.jpg IMG_0769.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
After more than 2 years with the Avalon Acoustics Osiris System I am still happy, to listen to music with this system.

The walk of changing components to manage the gain needed to drive the Avalon Osiris has find an end (for this time).

Even with Audionet Heisenberg power the last dynamic punch was missing, but as from the theory the Heisenberg power should be enough to drive the Osiris in my room, I started to listen to different preamplifiers.

And it became clear, that the Audionet Stern was limiting the perceived punch and energy of the whole system.

Not as component as such, but in conjunction with 10m signal cables between the PreAmp and the Heisenberg.

Using only 2m long cables made a big difference and gave me a flavor, what to expect....

I changed than from NBS Black Label I / Black Label III to a MIT cables, which are more easy to drive over the long distance.

But finally I moved over to a Soulution 720 Preamp. The Soulution output stage is capable to drive long cables without a constraint, so no longer such a big difference in performance between a 2m and my 10m connection cable.

Listening to Digital still showed, that impedance matching between signal source and preamp is also an important factor for the complete gain management. My DACs over the time (Brinkmann, Odeon, Lampizator) played with more perceived energy than my analog set up.

The biggest step to equal this was the implementation of the Phasemation EA-2000 Phonostage, which is now my preferred source. The EA-2000 added bass control and energy to the complete system like no other phono stage before.

I had to update my DAC accordingly to Lampizator Baltic 4 plus Antipodes Oladra to compete again, now both sources chains work fine in this set up.

The level of transported emotions while listening to digital music (please listen to "sound of silence" acoustic version from "the ghost of Johnny Cash") arrived to the next other level, I would say.

2 year ago I would not have believed, that this performance is possible with the Avalon Osiris system.

No I am still fine tuning my analog set up, looking for the next preferred tonearm.

The TechDAS Tonearmbase for the Durand Tosca just arrived, the base for the Kuzma Safir 9 tonearm is in production.

The Safir 9 already shows on my Basis Debit turntable his capability, but has to move over to the AF3P turntable.

Again, some interesting month to come to explore the potential next level of the Osiris system.

View attachment 102706 View attachment 102707 View attachment 102708

This is for the same reason I like the Soulution 720, and the discovery was the same with the Avalon compass diamonds in London

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Has anyone heard the Avalon Tesseract?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What a journey you have made for yourself, Juergen!

I am glad you’re happy with your speaker decision from two years ago! It is amazing the discrete steps one takes over a long period of time gradually to improve one’s system! I’m glad you have found yourself traveling in a productive direction all along the way!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What a journey you have made for yourself, Juergen!

I am glad you’re happy with your speaker decision from two years ago! It is amazing the discrete steps one takes over a long period of time gradually to improve one’s system! I’m glad you have found yourself traveling in a productive direction all along the way!
Agree! After reading journals like this one, and Marty's own journey, I have to say I respect both of these gents for taking the time and being very methodical and disciplined about their choices...Marty is truly a scientist about it. And I have enjoyed reading Juergen's log with not only great adventures in his existing system, but lots of experience from his previous systems.

I reflect on our own last 2.5 years since the XLFs first arrived. In large part due to Covid/equipment/installation delays...but also due to the time it takes to get to know the system and continuously dial in and dial in...it has only been in the last 3 weeks that I felt like the system is finally at the next level I was originally going for back in 2020.

In our case, we also did speakers, then upgraded preamp and amp. (We also added Entreq to the existing Tripoint grounding and then had a fresh look at adding Waversa to the existing Zanden digital.)

The key is that these changes were never so much about upgrades as it was the instinctive pursuit of a sound that intuitively I felt that the main speaker, the main 'bones of the system' could and should be able to produce.

To read other people's journeys is inspiring and fun...and also thought provoking and informative!

Reactions: shakti

south

Nov 4, 2011

View attachment 102706 View attachment 102707 View attachment 102708
Hi Shakti,
Did you try to pair the Soulution 725 with the stereo power amp, 710 or 711?
Amazing system and I find extraordinary that speakers launched more than 20 years ago are still competitive. I suspect that may be true for many other models. Congratulations!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Shakti,
Amazing system and I find extraordinary that speakers launched more than 20 years ago are still competitive. I suspect that may be true for many other models. Congratulations!

my Avalon friend had both 720 and 725 for long in his system he gave back the 725 and stayed with the 720 which I too thought was the right thing to do. Never liked the Soulution power amp. The preamps are really excellent

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hi Shakti,
I heard the 725 once in a friends system. He had 720 before, so he did the update.
More resolution, yes, indeed. But I missed some flow of music, which I like on 720.
So he loves now 725 and I will stay with 720. We both are happy :)

The Osiris needs a lot of power and 2 sets of speaker cable connections. The Soulution amps do not have enough power to drive Osiris. the Mono amps would need to be driven in BiAmping, which reduces the power. The Osiris in BimAmping has than different impedance load by amp, which was difficult with my JRDG 825 BiAmping exercises.

Even the Audionet Heisenberg switches of with red light blinking, when I listen very load to some music. SPL still in an area, which was fine with my MAXX3 speakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard the 725 once in a friends system. He had 720 before, so he did the update.
More resolution, yes, indeed. But I missed some flow of music, which I like on 720.
+1. 725 is a bit more cleaner but not much benefit there and I think it loses some flow

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
So he loves now 725 and I will stay with 720. We both are happy :)

The Osiris needs a lot of power and 2 sets of speaker cable connections. The Soulution amps do not have enough power to drive Osiris. the Mono amps would need to be driven in BiAmping, which reduces the power. The Osiris in BimAmping has than different impedance load by amp, which was difficult with my JRDG 825 BiAmping exercises.

Even the Audionet Heisenberg switches of with red light blinking, when I listen very load to some music. SPL still in an area, which was fine with my MAXX3 speakers.
Dear shakti,

I just read your thread of your amazing speaker investment and your search for optimizing your sound step by step over the last 2 to 2 - 1/2 years. I’m very impressed of your hifi journey, and very happy for you, that you now finally enjoying your speaker-system, without having to tweek them every single week or so. Your room looks fantastic ;) !

Have you ever concider Dan D’Agostino’s big amps for your Osiris? I’m quite confident they would give the Osiris a ride of it’s life. At least they would have plenty of power-reserv in the bass area, don’t you think?!
As you know, I have Martin Logans, and they work very very well with big Krells or the D’Agostino sound. Perhaps the Avalon’s does not interact to that amplification as the Martin Logans do… I can not tell because I have not heard any Avalon’s.. (sorry). However.. it was just a thought I had.

The problem to build a nice stereo system, is not buying / getting the gear… but to match the right gear with one and other together… to make it work like a rocket-ship to take us to another universe for a while when we enter our hifi-chambers… right?.…;).

Well shakti, I really enjoyed your speaker story. Thank you!

All the best

/ Johan

pnp

Nov 28, 2012
shakti,

I'm glad that you're are finally happy with your Osiris.

They are beautiful speakers, that I had the pleasure to live with for several weeks in the late 90's.
Unfortunately, they turn out to be a total nightmare to get playing properly.
At the time my system was comprised by Mark Levinson's 31.5, 30.5, Cello Palette and 33 power amps, but even the 33's were unable to get the Osiris singing.
I changed the Transparent Reference XL cables for Kimber Black Pearl, I replaced the 33's for a pair of Conrad Johnson Premier 8, but nothing worked, so i gave up and ended not buying them. I was really sad about it because I loved the looks of the Osiris.

Enjoy them and keep us informed about your journey with them. A truly legend speaker.

Reactions: shakti and Johan K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing