Avalon Osiris , my next project!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I am interested into Avalon Acoustics speaker since decades,

so I tried to research the history of Avalon Acoustics on the web, should someone has better or more detailed knowledge, I am of course happy about additions and corrections.

Avalon Acoustics speakers have been around since the 1980s and have a varied history. The Avalon Acoustics company was founded by Charles Hansen, who already relied on the work of the development engineer Neil Patel since foundation of the company.

The first speakers presented already had the typical housing design that is still valid today.

This design should not only optimize the sound radiation of the speakers, but also help to disperse the reflections of the bounding room walls.

The first models were given the names "Avatar", "Eclipse" and "Monitor", especially the Eclipse became a commercial success. As the last model of the first portfolio, the top model "Ascent" was presented, which should have been the technology carrier of the Avalon company for many years. The "Ascent" uncompromisingly implemented what Neil Patel had imagined at the time. It didn't make the "Ascent" easier to sell, but it was important to Neil Patel that the crossover in his top model had to be housed in a separate housing.

images-2.jpeg

(The crossover in the separate black housing behind the speakers)

The Avalon Ascent is (in my view) one of the rare offers in the used market,
where you get a very high sonic equivalent to the current market price.

The speakers from Neil Patel and Charles Hansen required a certain level of performance from the connected amplifiers right from the start. The elaborate crossovers simply consumed power, so that the efficiency of the entire portfolio remained below 90db. The impedance curves, on the other hand, were amplifier-friendly, so that Avalon speakers can also be seen with powerful tubes from Audio Research, for example. (in my personal opinion, the bass drivers ever needed some damping factor, so I am not a friend of tubes or Pass / Krell amps on Avalon speakers)

Shortly after the Avalon Ascent appeared, Charles Hansen founded a company for high-end electronics (the Ayre company) and sold the company Avalon Acoustics to Jeff Rowland, who also hired Neil Patel as head of development.

Thanks to Jeff Rowland's contacts, the young company Avalon Acoustics found many new distributors, especially in Asia. Even today, many companies offer Avalon Acoustics speakers and Jeff Rowland amplifiers together.

Unfortunately, the market reacted very negatively to the acquisition of Jeff Rowlands. Previously, many loudspeaker manufacturers had advertised Jeff Rowland's amplifiers as the ideal partner for their own products, but now Jeff Rowland was taken as a competitor and his devices were not longer supported / shown on fairs.

So Jeff Rowland decided to sell Avalon Acoustics to Neil Patel in 1989, who has run the company since then.

Neil Patel carefully renewed the Avalon portfolio and created the probably successful Avalon Acoustics loudspeaker, the Avalon "Eidolon" in the early / mid-nineties.

The program was rounded off by the Avalon "Artus".

The last model offered in 1996 was the one offered until 2005

Avalon Acoustics "Osiris"

presented.

All three models were then marketed by Neil Patel / the Distributors as "The New Avalon"
I found as an example a Japanese brochure :

IMG_3501-2.jpg IMG_3503-2.jpg IMG_3504-2.jpg IMG_3502-2.jpg

The Avalon Osiris was offered in Germany in 1996 with a MSRP of 160,000 DM, in 2005 the speaker had risen to about 125,000 EUR. The successor Avalon Sentinel was offered from 2005 at 180,000 euros, currently the Avalon Tesseract presented in 2015 is currently the top model with 350,000 to 400,000 euros in the respective price lists.

Avalon Acoustics was also obviously unable to escape the global price trend in the high-end market

I suspect this will not be the last step
The top models from Wilson Audio (Chronosonic) and Magico (M9) already reach the 750,000 euro threshold, so some headroom for the next Avalon Acoustics Top Model.

If you take a closer look at the Avalon Osiris, you can see the consistent implementation of Neil Patel's claims.

IMG_3505-2.jpg IMG_3506-2.jpg

The external crossover already known from the Avalon Ascent was even more complex and is now even split into two separate boxes per speaker

The Crossover has 5 inputs, so it can theoretically be operated with 5 stereo power amplifiers or 10 mono power amplifiers.

The 4 separate elements of the crossover each weigh just over 100kg, which means that this loudspeaker of the reference class at that time gives you around 450kg crossover.

The speakers themselves is optically divided into 3 cabinets and physically divided into 2 cabinets. Neil Patel believes that increasing the band in the ultra high frequency range must result in expanding the band in the subbass range. Unlike his competitor David Wilson, Neil Patel used a very high upper cut-off frequency of 40khz right from the start, whereas Wilson Audio liked to let the speaker run out just above 23khz.

At that time David Wilson and Neil Patel used partially "customized" chassis from the same manufacturer, namely from JM Lab (now well known as Focal), but where David Wilson relied on the capabilities of the inverse JM Lab tweeter dome, Neil Patel constructed an optically separated tweeter cabinet, which is narrow-band relies on three tweeters made of different materials (and manufacturers).

Bass range: Corn type x2 made from a 33cm nomex Kevlar
Midrange: The corn type made from a 23cm nomex Kevlar
Lower treble range: The corn type made from 5cm aluminum magnesium
High range: The dome shape made from 2.5cm titanium
Super tweeters: The reverse dome shape made from 2.5cm ceramics

Anyone who has looked at the "breaking open" of a membrane at different frequencies with a Kippel measuring device, as well as the resonance spectra of the respective materials, understands the theoretical approach of Neil Patel's reference system.

I was allowed to listen to these impressive speakers at the turn of the millennium. I was really impressed by the performance. At that time, I already had listened to several very good systems at home, so I believed that nothing would make me so easily impressed, but the Avalon Osiris managed to do this, even under demo conditions.

But the sheer mass of something between 800 and 1000kg plus the imposing dimensions

Speaker part: Width 430x height 1890x depth of 510mm
Network part: Width 430x height 1150x depth of 600mm

made this speaker disappear in a memory drawer together with my Infinity IRS and Martin Logan Statement etc. experiences,
because it is difficult to set up such a speaker system in a "normal" room.

But if you compare the absolute flagship speakers of the past 20 to 25 years, it is noticeable that products such as Wilson Audio Wamm or Grand Slam as well as Avalon Osiris and Sentinel are rather compact and easy to set up (e.g. no huge dipole or even a 4 tower system). The flagship loudspeakers of the last 5 to 10 years unfortunately have increased their price to market preposition in a way, that the walk of the high-end segment from the performance-oriented to the overpriced luxury product segment in the loudspeaker sector has to take place without me.

However, since the price segment around 100,000 euros was a very exclusive 20 years ago, the correspondingly small quantities produced that time lead to a very limited supply of such loudspeakers "giants". You will see a Wilson Audio Grand Slam from time to time on offer, but speakers like Avalon Osiris, Avalon Sentinel, Wilson Audio Wamm, Martin Logan Statement, Infinity IRS etc. are almost never placed in the used market.

You can imagine, that I am all the more pleased that I have the opportunity to buy an Avalon Acoustics Osiris.

I hope that this time I can get the logistics organized.

(I still remember with pain that I almost bought a Gryphon Poseidon, but it was set up in an attic so that an (affordable) transport could hardly be represented.
As far as I know, the Gryphon Poseidon is still staying (unused) in this attic today)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The offer to buy an Osiris System finds me owning one of my other favorite speakers, a Wilson Audio Maxx 3.

I've never been able to finally choose between Avalon and Wilson before,

I enjoyed the Avalon Eidolon for a few years, the Watt Puppy in other years.

The Avalon Eidolon played best with my then Jeff Rowland M9 Ti / HC, whereas even my Pass X600 starved to the Eidolon.

I cannot judge at the moment whether the Avalon Osiris will be "better" than the Wilson Audio Maxx3, since the likely "different" will certainly be more dominant than the "potential" better.

frankly speaking, I do not have a clue about the potential sound quality of an Osiris System in my room. The Maxx 3 performance is mind blowing, the size of my room just perfectly fit to this speaker design.

So I just dare to jump into the next higher (or just bigger?) speaker segment, I've been looking for the Osiris since I moved to my new premises about 5 years ago. But they are very rare.
If I miss the Wilson Audio Maxx 3, it will certainly be easier to find a big Wilson again.

Coincidentally, the Avalon Osiris range currently fits my current electronics, the Jeff Rowland M825 will have enough power. Looking into the web, other Osiris owner recommend a separate power amplifier for the bass department, which consists of 4x 13 'JM Lab chassis and a large, heavy external crossovers. In this case I have a pair of Jeff Rowland 501 amplifiers on hand, so that I can try BiAmping. A second M825 would certainly than be ideal. My Jeff Rowland Criterion pre-stage is optimized for such BiAmping use. If the main loudspeakers are on the subbass units and these are designed as a single speaker, you normally do not have to adjust the crossover frequency and phase position when the setting is active, as this is specified by design. Depending on the room positioning, it is helpful if you can adjust the level of the bass units. This is exactly what the Jeff Rowland Criterion offers. The level of the second preamplifier output can be adjusted in steps of 0.5db compared to the masterlevel at output 1, which in the case of BiAmping will certainly make it easier to integrate the Avalon Osiris into my room.

What I found out is, that it seems, that Neil Patel also developed the Avalon Osiris cabling with the help of MIT - or the other way around :)
From this collaboration the

- MIT-850 Evo Shotgun speaker cable

come to market.

In the audio 1.1998 review 2 complete stereo sets of these cables were used accordingly.
The price of DM 33,000 / stereo set (in Germany) was already so extreme for the time of offering, that these cables are rarely offered in the European used market as the Avalon Osiris itself.

These cables weigh per channel single line in the usual 8ft assembly already 17kg, at least in terms of weight, the cables fit well with the Osiris.

If it works out for me with the Avalon Osiris, I have secured access to 2 sets of these cables in biwiring, which would be a good start to connect the Osiris.
Ideally, a third set in single wiring is missing :)

If my personal story with the Avalon Acoustics Osiris will continue, I will report in this thread, otherwise I hope that one or the other had fun reading something about the Avalon brand again.
as It has become a little quieter around the brand at the moment, I would hope that a new distributor in Europe / Germany with new energy would take on this enthusiastic brand.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Depending on your room, the Osiris may just leave you breathless, at least it has for me in the past, on a number of occasions. I think it is telling that, to this day, the local dealer still has a picture of that fantastic Spectral/Osiris/MIT system that I heard so many times, on his web site http://goodwinshighend.com/ - I don't know how it compares with today's super speakers, but what I heard over 20 years ago was just positively stunning, with the caveat the images were just too big. Beyond the Osiris, the Radian HC remains my second-favorite Avalon; haven't heard the Sentinel. Regarding the cables, you'll probably be better off with current MIT.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Depending on your room, the Osiris may just leave you breathless, at least it has for me in the past, on a number of occasions. I think it is telling that, to this day, the local dealer still has a picture of that fantastic Spectral/Osiris/MIT system that I heard so many times, on his web site http://goodwinshighend.com/ - I don't know how it compares with today's super speakers, but what I heard over 20 years ago was just positively stunning, with the caveat the images were just too big. Regarding the cables, you'll probably be better off with current MIT.

Avalons have been among my favorite cones, but they need a lot of space behind and at the sides. Extremely sensitive to even a slight variation in positioning or toe in.

I have heard only as far as the compass diamonds, unfortunately, and would like to hear the bigger SOTA models

Last edited:

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Good luck with your search for Osiris, should be spectacular

One of the most memorable systems I've heard was put together by Audiofreaks the then Avalon distributor in the UK. Zanden trans/dac, Kuzma XL, CJ pre (most likely an ACT) and Karan KSA 1200 (poss 2000) driving Isis

Wow, just sounded like music one could lose oneself in, in medium sized room. Those guys really knew how to get the best from Avalon's. Not something the dealers seemed very good at, small sample but the dealer demo's I've heard were disappointing.

I nearly bought Ascendent, I'd heard them twice driven beautifully by Zanden amplification, again set up by Audiofreaks. The pair available at the time had a significant dent to the top rear edge so I passed and ended up going in a different direction. I'm sure I'd have been happy with them.

Look forward to hearing how you get on

Reactions: 108CY and bonzo75

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Avalon's are great speakers. As far as I remember, I only owned the small Eclipse - a great speaker with ARC tubes, and briefly a the Radian, that did not impress me.

The Osiris was an impressive speaker - I listened to it being powered by four conrad johnson Premier 8 - great sound. Much later I was offered this pair for a nice price but was afraid of the amplification needs. Anyway it also needs a big space and strong muscles!

The Osiris was quickly replaced by the much better Sentinel. As far as I remember, at that time , the Wilson Audio competition was the Grand Slamm III.

Reactions: ack

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You are a master at finding interesting audio gear Jürgen, hope you finalize the deal so we can hear about it :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good luck with your search for Osiris, should be spectacular

One of the most memorable systems I've heard was put together by Audiofreaks the then Avalon distributor in the UK. Zanden trans/dac, Kuzma XL, CJ pre (most likely an ACT) and Karan KSA 1200 (poss 2000) driving Isis

Wow, just sounded like music one could lose oneself in, in medium sized room. Those guys really knew how to get the best from Avalon's. Not something the dealers seemed very good at, small sample but the dealer demo's I've heard were disappointing.

I nearly bought Ascendent, I'd heard them twice driven beautifully by Zanden amplification, again set up by Audiofreaks. The pair available at the time had a significant dent to the top rear edge so I passed and ended up going in a different direction. I'm sure I'd have been happy with them.

Look forward to hearing how you get on

You can listen to a brilliant Avalon system a bit further up from King's cross, when you start traveling again. Friend of mine, I can introduce you.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
You can listen to a brilliant Avalon system a bit further up from King's cross, when you start traveling again. Friend of mine, I can introduce you.

That's a kind offer, please do get in touch as things settle down. Will see what Boris has to say tomorrow...

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The Osiris was quickly replaced by the much better Sentinel. As far as I remember, at that time , the Wilson Audio competition was the Grand Slamm III.

My Dealer has sold 2 pair of Osiris and a pair of Sentinel, replacing one of the former sold Osiris. The Sentinel customer was finally not that happy about the exchange, as the active bass of the Sentinel was not as fast and precise, than he was used from the passive Osiris, if powered with enough watts and damping (customer used ML 33 amps) The good thing on Sentinel is, that you can use tube amps with all the sweet tube flavor, which you cannot do on Osiris, if you like to hear their possible bass performance.
To my knowledge the bass amplifiers of the Sentinel were created and built from Classe Audio and carry their house sound.

Most likely I will never have the chance to compare Osiris and Sentinel in one room,so I have go with "second hand" knowledge :)

But another comparison can happen.

My best Hifi Buddy is going to get the Wilson Audio Grand Small series III in the same week, if everything works out as planned.

Than we have the two biggest competitors of that time in our houses and we will battle about having the best set up of this two huge speakers. My friend prefers a monitor like placing with a max distance of 3m, which is possible with the Grand Slamm, my listening position will be more like 6m away from the speakers. Will be fun :)

Avalon speakers (to my experience) do need a lot of space between speakers and rear and side walls. I will try to place them around 2 to 3m away from any wall. This should work to get a pin point image with correct dimensions of voices and instruments. I hope , I will find out soon :)

south

Nov 4, 2011
My Dealer has sold 2 pair of Osiris and a pair of Sentinel, replacing one of the former sold Osiris. The Sentinel customer was finally not that happy about the exchange, as the active bass of the Sentinel was not as fast and precise, than he was used from the passive Osiris, if powered with enough watts and damping (customer used ML 33 amps) The good thing on Sentinel is, that you can use tube amps with all the sweet tube flavor, which you cannot do on Osiris, if you like to hear their possible bass performance.
To my knowledge the bass amplifiers of the Sentinel were created and built from Classe Audio and carry their house sound.

Most likely I will never have the chance to compare Osiris and Sentinel in one room,so I have go with "second hand" knowledge :)

But another comparison can happen.

My best Hifi Buddy is going to get the Wilson Audio Grand Small series III in the same week, if everything works out as planned.

Than we have the two biggest competitors of that time in our houses and we will battle about having the best set up of this two huge speakers. My friend prefers a monitor like placing with a max distance of 3m, which is possible with the Grand Slamm, my listening position will be more like 6m away from the speakers. Will be fun :)

Avalon speakers (to my experience) do need a lot of space between speakers and rear and side walls. I will try to place them around 2 to 3m away from any wall. This should work to get a pin point image with correct dimensions of voices and instruments. I hope , I will find out soon :)
Hi Shakti
Although I have used Avalon speakers for several years, i have neer listened to the Osiris. I had some experience with the Sentinel, ,which I found a very good speaker but really difficult to use even in a big room.
The newer generation of Avalons, in particular the Saga, are easier to use and conceptually simpler (passive, standard three way). They are extraordinary speakers, to my hears up there with the very best.
The strategy of Avalon at times is difficult to understand. It seems that the Sentinel remains available but a newer genertion of that model will be issued, using the technology of the Tesseract/Saga. I suppose you can find the Osiris at a good price since they have been discontinued and do not belong to the last generation of the brand. If you have the right room I m sure they will be amazing.

Reactions: bonzo75 and shakti

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Shakti, Interesting thread one I can sorta relate re your dilemma :p--I've been big Avalon fan since the early 90s at that time I bought
Nextel Ascent II's and Eclipse's. My Wilson soirée included X-1's and 2 sets Watt Pup combos later also -so I have feel for the genes in both camps.

As both Speaker experiences were some years ago( Moving houses/Countries /etc!) however I have heard the Osiris once in Asia only a few years back,I feel it is a more fuller "rounded"(?) presentation than the Big Wilsons --that Avalon "Mid bass Thwack" still stays with me even now -Ha!-yes even after the XLFs I've since heard with Peter McG's demos.

If I had the choice today the Osiris would be the one to go for --for Moi anyhow!

Good Luck IMHO YVMV;)

BruceD

Reactions: shakti

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
There were another speaker Brand very much like Avalon , called Hales ..

Anyone familiar ..?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
This morning at 8:00 am I took over the rental van with my brother and a long, heavy duty day began.

At 11:00 am we arrived at our destination and found a new Avalon Osiris system waiting for us, soon nearly 1000kg loudspeakers in 8 parts without original packaging wanted to be stowed away so that we would arrive safely in the Rhineland.

With close to 2x 20kg per channel, the MIT evo 850 speaker cables are also so heavy that they have to be packed separately, especially since the aluminum boxes are really bulky.

In advance, I got 8 furniture rollers, a few wooden pallets and about 30 lashing straps, plus lots of styrofoam.

Around 14:00 we had everything in the truck and were able to start the return journey, luckily we had not only chosen the hottest day of this year, but also the day of the school vacation start ..., the return journey took a correspondingly long time.
Around 5:30 p.m. our home had us again after the expected traffic jam :)

I then borrowed a pallet truck on site so that the loudspeakers could be moved on their different pallets.

Luckily, two friends were waiting for us, who actively took part, because before setting up the Avalon Osiris we had to dismantle the Wilson Audio Maxx3, which is not exactly a lightweight at 200kg / piece. We first lifted the Maxx3 onto furniture rollers so that it can now be safely moved around the house quite easily.

In my "home theater" the Maxx3 are now waiting to be put into operation together with a Boulder 1060 power amplifier, but this will take a few more days, first of all it's the Osiris' turn.

We decided to temporarily build up the Osiris so that you can find the optimal position in peace, since it can be assumed that the Osiris want to be in a different location than the Maxx3 before. even if this position will be the starting point.

If the Osiris is only on spikes, it will be difficult to move them on a wooden floor.

And so the external crossovers are now without spikes directly on the floor on felt coasters, so that they can be moved slightly.

The speakers themselves are on furniture rollers so that they can be easily pushed in all directions.

Even if the Osiris is now higher than if it is on spikes, it should be possible to find the approximately optimal position.

If this is found, the LS will come on felt coasters to precisely adjust the position to the last mm, then the speaker and the crossover will be placed on the final apex spikes.

One problem will be the heavy MIT speaker cable boxes. The loudspeaker connections of the Osiris are at a medium speaker height, so that these boxes might hang in the air, which the LS terminals or the clamp connection should hardly be able to withstand. Let's see what can be built there tomorrow to support the cables.
But maybe I'm lucky and the cable connection ends are long enough.

At the moment, I am very happy that the Maxx 3 has moved safely to a new room and that the Osiris are now in my music room and at least make a very good impression. All of this lasted until 9:00 p.m. and we are all exhausted from hauling .... Luckily my wife (after active help) started the barbecue and after a few beers and a few sausages we all feel much better: - )

... And tomorrow the Osiris will be connected, I'm really looking forward to it!

IMG_3531.jpg IMG_3534.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow awesome

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What an incredibly exciting project, Juergen! I am very happy for you that you have finally realized your Osiris dream after all of these years! Congratulations!

Of course we all look forward to your listening impressions!

Reactions: Johan K and GMKF

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
This morning at 8:00 am I took over the rental van with my brother and a long, heavy duty day began.

At 11:00 am we arrived at our destination and found a new Avalon Osiris system waiting for us, soon nearly 1000kg loudspeakers in 8 parts without original packaging wanted to be stowed away so that we would arrive safely in the Rhineland.

With close to 2x 20kg per channel, the MIT evo 850 speaker cables are also so heavy that they have to be packed separately, especially since the aluminum boxes are really bulky.

In advance, I got 8 furniture rollers, a few wooden pallets and about 30 lashing straps, plus lots of styrofoam.

Around 14:00 we had everything in the truck and were able to start the return journey, luckily we had not only chosen the hottest day of this year, but also the day of the school vacation start ..., the return journey took a correspondingly long time.

I then borrowed a pallet truck on site so that the loudspeakers could be moved on their different pallets.

Luckily, two friends were waiting for us, who actively took part, because before setting up the Avalon Osiris we had to dismantle the Wilson Audio Maxx3, which is not exactly a lightweight at 200kg / piece. We first lifted the Maxx3 onto furniture rollers so that it can now be safely moved around the house quite easily.

In my "home theater" the Maxx3 are now waiting to be put into operation together with a Boulder 1060 power amplifier, but this will take a few more days, first of all it's the Osiris' turn.

We decided to temporarily build up the Osiris so that you can find the optimal position in peace, since it can be assumed that the Osiris want to be in a different location than the Maxx3 before. even if this position will be the starting point.

If the Osiris is only on spikes, it will be difficult to move them on a wooden floor.

And so the external crossovers are now without spikes directly on the floor on felt coasters, so that they can be moved slightly.

The speakers themselves are on furniture rollers so that they can be easily pushed in all directions.

Even if the Osiris is now higher than if it is on spikes, it should be possible to find the approximately optimal position.

If this is found, the LS will come on felt coasters to precisely adjust the position to the last mm, then the speaker and the crossover will be placed on the final apex spikes.

One problem will be the heavy MIT speaker cable boxes. The loudspeaker connections of the Osiris are at a medium speaker height, so that these boxes might hang in the air, which the LS terminals or the clamp connection should hardly be able to withstand. Let's see what can be built there tomorrow to support the cables.

At the moment, I am very happy that the Maxx 3 has moved safely to a new room and that the Osiris are now in my music room and at least make a very good impression. All of this lasted until 9:00 p.m. and we are all exhausted from hauling .... Luckily my wife (after active help) started the barbecue and after a few beers and a few sausages we all feel much better: - )

... And tomorrow the Osiris will be connected, I'm really looking forward to it!

View attachment 66650 View attachment 66649
You are going to sleep well tonight Jürgen, congratulations !

Reactions: Johan K and GMKF

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

View attachment 66650 View attachment 66649

Congratulations Juergen - I can't stop thinking they would play great with my LP275m's! :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Cool - many congratulations. Looking forward to your listening impressions.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well done...a [literally] Herculean effort. And the reward is now waiting in your room patiently til tomorrow and for the great days to come. Look forward to reading all about it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing