American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
From video. Sharper, yes. Especially when she pitched her voice up at the end of the song. Could be from various variables. You own the system what do you think attribute to this "sharp."
Mid-high: 3,500-6,000Hz( presence area- brilliance area)
In the middle / upper heights, for example, the sibilants (hissing sounds of the voice) come into play. As a rule, an overpronounced display is perceived as unpleasant. Overall, a glassy, hard and metallic sound impression can come from this area, or vice versa an opaque musical image.
a popular method is to build a level drop in the area with xover or selecting the tweeter. people like to call it "english tuning" you can listen to music for hours without getting tired. I must have built 10 loudspeakers with this tuning, your Eurodyn has it too could be heard very clearly in your video.
I just find it a bit boring after decades, sorry. i want to hear the human voice with full energy and clarity. I tuned my speakers to be more linear.
the musica nuda recording (petra magoni) plays extremely detailed with an emphasis on the sibelante (s"and f" tones). maybe not the best choice for neutrality and musicality my opinion

Reactions: christoph

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
From video. Sharper, yes. Especially when she pitched her voice up at the end of the song. Could be from various variables. You own the system what do you think attribute to this "sharp."
This is due to the special flavor SPU being used in that video, it uses OFC copper wires for coils.
I made another video with a different SPU. Please feel free to compare both and the different sound characteristic.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Sorry, don't want to publish technical information on this.

Last edited:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
This is due to the special flavor SPU being used in that video, it uses OFC copper wires for coils.
I made another video with a different SPU. Please feel free to compare both and the different sound characteristic.

Walter, this is a “can” recording that sounds good even on my iPhone. Play some real music like the Doors, the Cure, the Smiths, something fun to listen to, to hear if you have something special there. Not all of us are into antiquities. Would ike to hear how your speaker sounds with fun Music.

Last edited:

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Walter, this is a “can” recording that sounds good even on my iPhone. Play some real music like the Doors, the Cure, the Smiths, something fun to listen to, to hear if you have something special there. Not all of us are into antiquities. Would ike to hear how your speaker sounds with fun Music.
Please feel free to visit my youtube channel. Will upload there soon some more fun stuff pop/rock music.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
What is going on with all the vocal distortion? Assume that’s the phone?
Which one of the videos are you referring to?

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@bonzo75 . People. Pls take videos of other systems and related comments to another thread.

Reactions: ddk and PeterA

jdza

May 3, 2010
Dear Tang

Thank you for posting this video. I believe David sent you this video to show where in the ballpark he is with your project. To me, it showed that a horn speaker can be without the vices usually associated with that type. Most of the videos I have seen about horn speakers left me veering towards the McGowan camp. Have I been wrong all this time? Then David Karmelli and you ( I have never met either) ,made it right again: A horn can sound the way it must. It can be a damn good speaker first and then add the elements thay makes a horn special.

In a way ,I started this video mess by posting a video because most people never heard a gigantic horn and few shall. In the end they should be just speakers that happens to be horns ,not some diabolical creation that somehow create a sound. Dave Karmelli gets that and for that the giants that became before us should be thankful.

Last edited:

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Excellent Sound.
New attempt on this subject with better audio.:)

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: ddk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear Tang

Thank you for posting this video. I believe David sent you this video to show where in the ballpark he is with your project. To me, it showed that a horn speaker can be without the vices usually associated with that type. Most of the videos I have seen about horn speakers left me veering towards the McGowan camp. Have I been wrong all this time? Then David Karmelli and you ( I have never met either) ,made it right again: A horn can sound the way it must. It can be a damn good speaker first and then add the elements thay makes a horn special.

In a way ,I started this video mess by posting a video because most people never heard a gigantic horn and few shall. In the end they should be just speakers that happens to be horns ,not some diabolical creation that somehow create a sound. Dave Karmelli gets that and for that the giants that became before us should be thankful.

Dear jdza,
You’re correct, the baffle in that video was the last test before building the final version. I wanted Tang to be part of the progression and also have his feedback. I’m sure he‘ll post some videos of the final speaker which has a tuneable bass section going from a natural balanced bass to full Amazon!

Love the beautiful tones in your video!

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing