Very happy w/ the Shunyata Typhon addition for the Triton......

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Well Russ it sounds like you are in for a treat. I do notice now after weeks of listening that the TT combo seems to be even more spatial than before and oddly more revealing of individual recording details. For example, I can really hear studio engineering, recording venues and differences that make each recording unique and distinct. As soon as I can there will be a new member of the Shunyata family and minor wiring tweaks to move things along. Enjoy it and congrats on the wedding,

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
4 days ago, I did what many might consider unthinkable. I unplugged my Typhon from my Triton and put in the circuit that powers the back-end which includes my Spectral 260 and 2 JL F 113's. While there was a huge impact of both unplugging it from the front-end and plugging it into the back end, not having it in either was intolerable. The Typhon's presence in the back end is quite different compared to it's front end presence.

While I would prefer one in both the front and back end's, I must say that I think given only one Typhon, I prefer it in the back-end because I like what it does to the amp and the subs, which is substantial. Also the Triton has 3 smaller NIC's which are helping the front-end and thus making the absence less of an issue than its back-end influence. Regardless, it is an amazing product.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
4 days ago, I did what many might consider unthinkable. I unplugged my Typhon from my Triton and put in the circuit that powers the back-end which includes my Spectral 260 and 2 JL F 113's. While there was a huge impact of both unplugging it from the front-end and plugging it into the back end, not having it in either was intolerable. The Typhon's presence in the back end is quite different compared to it's front end presence.

While I would prefer one in both the front and back end's, I must say that I think given only one Typhon, I prefer it in the back-end because I like what it does to the amp and the subs, which is substantial. Also the Triton has 3 smaller NIC's which are helping the front-end and thus making the absence less of an issue than its back-end influence. Regardless, it is an amazing product.

You're just trying to rationalize the need for that second one. ;)

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Mobiusman, please describe the audible differences between applying Typhon to the Triton for your front end, versus plugging it directly into the AC circuit to serve your amp.

Much appreciated, Guido

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Good to know. I'm saving my pennies for my first Typhon and wondered myself where it would to the most good (front-end vs amps).

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
HI all- Seems like a trend we have going on. I removed the Typhon from the Triton and did not like the loss. I felt it robbed the system of a measure of clarity, transient detail, and realism. Also less spatial/flatter/musical charm. Dullish, distant & soft.
In the meantime I put the Typhon over by the amp and plugged it in the upper dedicated 20 amp outlet that serves the Rowland amp. Waited 3 hours to warm up & listened.
Very nice results to my ears yet NOT as effective in general as the Typhon in unison w/ the Triton. After a few days returned it to its partner.
Now the funny part: I was given a Cyclops to play with along w/ another ZTron Python . The unit has several hundred hours on it. Ran it from the same amp outlet between the speakers to the Rowland amp (nothing else on the dedicated 20 amp outlet.) The results were very good w/ an increase infrequency extension, dead quite black backgrounds, much more specific acoustic detail which at first made me think the it sounder "dryer" sounding but turns out to be not the case (more later.) The real tip off was the increase in articulation of vocals. We heard , time after time, words sung w/ such clarity we actually understood what had been slurred, distorted & otherwise difficult vocal recordings. The Cyclops seemed to produce perfect results w/ the Rowland amp & did so as well as the Typhon and maybe then some. So to be fair, we than removed the Typhon from the chain and still felt the Cyclops was very very good w/ the amp.
What I can say is the Cyclops does not diminish the dynamic range of the power amp in the least, sounds better than running the amp directly in a dedicated 20 amp outlet, and to my ears make a nicer contribution to the system synergy than I very expected. Yes I did not use a second Typhon for the amp & frankly never will due to the $3000 difference.
It may be that this is so complex one simply has to patiently play w/ all the variables. I have decided the little Cyclops is steal & well worth a listen for high current amps & a less expensive alternative than the Typhon. As for the Triton alone vs. Triton plus Typhon: This paring is bliss & I can not nor ever will separate the twins.

DRY acoustics: I am beginning to understand that the TT combo (and now the addition of the Cyclops) cleans things up so well that it removes a degree of signal obscuring distortion which in turn allows one to hear spatial & acoustic details that were simply lost. Greater differences between the sound of all All recordings. Studio engineering is revealed to a much greater degree, and vocal inflection is on another plane. Add to the mix that this really brings out the differences in the sound of power cables, some surprises here! I am finding that w/ the Triton/Typhon/Cyplops I can finally micro-tune my system by making small adjustments in footers, power cables and signal cables that dial the system into a place that approaches perfection relative to ones system. I feel like I have accomplished a long sought after goal of creating a real music lovers system.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I have to agree about the Cyclops. I have one on a dedicated 20 amp line, connected via a Zanaconda to the wall, with two Pass X600.5 amps plugged into it via Zpyhon cables. Caelin described the Cyclops as a Triton on steroids, and that seems reasonable. It has no negative effect on the amps, and does a fantastic job of removing noise from the AC line. You do not even realize the noise is there until it is gone. I added a pair of Magico S5s last Friday, and cannot believe how ultra clear and loud they can play. The amps are absolutely loafing while the S5s play, and I am sure the Cyclops helps.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
What is the guidance from Caelin/Grant on first step for application to my Rowland M925 class D power monos with 430W/8 doubling into 4 Ohms, 2500W DC SMPS prefixed by 1200W PFC rectifier?

* A Cyclop on each mono?
*A Typhon on each mono?
* A Triton on each mono?
* Other?

Note that the two monos do not share the same AC circuit.
circuit. Left mono is on a 15A circuit on its own... Right is on dedicated 20A circuit, shared with Rowland Aeris DAC and Esoteric X-01.

Guido

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Hydra A/V and Typhon + Alpha HC + Venom Defenders

Off with the Stillpoints hat...

I am committing to Shunyata Power components but have to add in a stepped approach. Currently I have 2 original Black Mamba PCs that will have to be used on the Berning amp and preamp (the ones with the "stuff" that moves in the cords). I will also have to continue to use the Vitus supplied PC for the CD player. I'll also be using generic cords for the VPI and SDS. :(

I ordered and should soon be receiving a Hydra A/V (Triton out of reach at this time), Typhon, Alpha HC for the Hydra to wall, and 2 Venom Defenders (one goes on the strip feeding the video system). What is the group's consensus on how to add the Hydra, Typhon, and one VD in to the main system? I thought I'd try one of the VDs first into the current Exemplar power distributor. Then replace the Exemplar with the Hydra. Then add the Typhon. All of this over the period of a few/several days so I can digest each change.

How is this approach and are there any additional suggestions?... aside from more cords, etc TIA...

John

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Hi Mobiusman, please describe the audible differences between applying Typhon to the Triton for your front end, versus plugging it directly into the AC circuit to serve your amp.

Much appreciated, Guido

Guido,

It is hard to describe accurately because with time one just gets lost in the music again, but her is my best shot. The nature of the change is very dependent on where the Typhon is inserted, front-end or back-end. While the magnitude of the change does not seem to change much, its qualitative component does drastically. The difference is so dramatic that sadly the only reasonable answer from a sound standpoint is to have a Typhon in both the front-end and back-end (please send my lunatic fringe card to my email!). This is the only scenario where I prefer the idea of a stereo amp compared to mono blocks so I do not have to buy a Typhon for each amp. However, one could probably just install a 40 amp circuit, and plug in one Typhon and both mono blocks.

The best way I can describe the difference in the Typhon’s contribution at the front and rear is as follows. With the Typhon plugged into the Triton, every benefit the Triton contributes, increases, substantially. The ability to better envision the sound stage, almost as if one is able to walk around the musicians, is profound. With it on the back end, the sound stage is bigger, deeper, but not quite as defined, albeit only slightly less because the Triton does have three NIC’s, essentially the only component of the Typhon. Granted, the Triton has three 12,000 cubic mm NIC’s on each of the hot, neutral and grounds conductors, while the Typhon has only two NIC’s on the hot and neutral, each with 30,800 cubic mm’s of pixie dust. So the unavoidable conclusion is more pixie dust is better, but even a moderate amount is good.

Here’s why one needs a Typhon on the back end—it makes your amp(s) and Sub’s sound better. For almost the same difference, I could have bought a Spectral 300 RS instead of my 260 amp, assuming that it will be released before I die and probably gotten at least the same kind of sound improvement, if not more, based on what I hear from Marty’s 400’s compared to my 260. The problem is that I would have to also sell my JL F113’s and buy JL Gothams because that is the type of magnitude of change that occurs on the back end through both the amp and the woofs. So using audio logic, it is a bargain to buy a second Typhon!!!

Steve Williams

Russ

I agree with your evaluation and I also agree that after a while it is difficult to describe very accurately what the changes were BUT you can unplug the Typhon and almost immediately everything collapses inward

It really is a remarkable piece of equipment that IMO everyone should find a way to demo it in their systems ideally with a Triton and proper umbilical (the nice thing is the Typhon now comes with the Typhon umbilical )

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
What power cord do they include now? It's called the "Typhon umbilical"? What does it look like?

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Typhon Umbilical

What power cord do they include now? It's called the "Typhon umbilical"? What does it look like?

My understanding is that the umbilical is a Typhon specific Alpha HC.

John

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
AS everyone on the thread has observed, it is hard to convey the real effects until the Triton, Typhon or even the Cyclops is taken out of the loop. I can say that every time I mess around (delete a unit for comparison ) either my wife or guest will same "what's wrong with your system" The Cyclops worked so well that my dear wife came running into the room screaming "I can finally hear whats she saying".

Really I think the Cyclops worked better on the amp than the Typhon did in my humble system but the gains are as follows: One can hear the space behind the players, which is odd that this perception is so specific. Think of moving in a dark room a night w/ a flashlight and looking behind a couch. There's a space there & now you can see it's volume clearly. Another Cyclops trick, breathing & mic proximity. One can hear breath pauses w/ much greater definition, the distance from the mike, movements towards and away & sometime micro compression of the mic diaphragm. The Typhon did NOT achieve this added nuance but the Cyclops id?. Go figure?

The now sacred trinity of T+T+C is a lovely but somewhat expensive path to more musical depth & emotion but well worth giving a listen.

And right on Steve, I hear the wrap-around thing too!

Steve Williams

The Typhon umbilical is labeled "Typhon AHC" on a grey-colored wrap. Thickness appears the same as the Anaconda. Approx 33" end-to-end, roughly 31" of useable length. I'm told it is specific to the Typhon and a short length is critical to the Typhon's performance.

The AHC has a smaller diameter than Anaconda so I presume there is a difference

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
My understanding is that the umbilical is a Typhon specific Alpha HC.

John

Correct. I just added a Typhon to my Triton about a month ago, and that is what is now shipped. Before you had a choice of umbilical types, but now it is just the Alpha HC.

Steve Williams

Not sure what the sociology is but I have 3 Anaconda umbilicals as well as 2 AHC and there is a difference in diameter. I stand corrected if the new Typhon umbilical has a similar diameter

From the Shunyata webpage

Anaconda diameter 1.32 inches

AHC diameter 1.05 inches

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Correct. I just added a Typhon to my Triton about a month ago, and that is what is now shipped. Before you had a choice of umbilical types, but now it is just the Alpha HC.

As I understand it, the problem was dealers selling the higher line umbilical cables (Anacondas & Pythons) to customers who were using them as power cords. The shorter length umbilical power cables were priced significantly lower than the standard length power cords, and the end users were inappropriately using them with ignorance as the power cords for their specific applications require the standard length of 1.8 meters to work properly. According to Caelin, the only proper applications for the shorter power cables than the standard 1.8 meter length would be from a power distributor to the wall, or to connect a Triton/Typhon combination. All I know is that I use the 33 inch Anaconda Zitron umbilical power cables from my three Tritons to my three Typhons to excellent effect.

Has anyone been able to compare the much less expensive Alpha HC umbilical to the Anaconda Zitron umbilical in this Triton/Typhon application? Please chime in if you have!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing