Thoughts on hearing a Wilson XVX Chronosonic System at Evolution Hifi

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Last week I spent three days visiting Evolution Hifi, a new Wilson dealer in Buckhead that has been very successful with the line. Ahead of an event with Daryl Wilson, and partly I think due to tremendous success with the line, Evolution too possession of a pair of XVX Chronosonic speakers in Cranberry Pearl. They were paired with the dCS Vivaldi Apex stack (Acoustic Signature turntable coming later) and Gryphon electronics including the Antileon amp and Zena preamplifier (Apex and Commander are on order I believe). Cabling was Shunyata Omega and Sigma v2 and more Omega is on the way. Power conditioner was Shunyata Gemini but an Typhon and Denali are coming this week I believe with more grounding as well. Two of the three days there were Scott, David Ellington, and Tyler Hall setting these beasts up perfectly and on the third day they rested...I kid...on the third day they were breaking in rapidly.

So some big improvements arriving soon but I really must say this is a quite spectacular system!

I heard...

1. A huge sense of scale but it was not abnormally so. Just a wonderful recreation of a music event.
2. Loads of fine micro and macro detail. I am sure the Vivaldi Apex helps but these XVXs really seem to get dynamics right on.
3. Spot-on instrument timbres. I have a similar but far more humble Alexia V/Rossini Apex pairing and instruments just have an stunningly realistic portrayal.
4. Well defined and powerful bass. I believe there is both a 10.5" and 12.5" woofer and the bass is extraordinary.

This is a system well worth traveling for. If you happen to be in town or have a long layover at Hartsfield, get in an Uber and visit Scott. It's a truly remarkable system that I believe shows how much more realistic these reference level systems have become.

IMG_7049.jpeg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
IMG_7051.jpeg

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I was invited to an upcoming event to show this system off. I have been a customer of HiFi Buys (the old Wilson dealer not too far from Evolution in Buckhead), but not Evolution, so perhaps they got my contact info directly from Wilson. Darryl and Bill Peugh are expected as guests.

It sounds like it will be an excellent opportunity to hear the XVX in a well set up environment. I’ve heard the XVX at Paragon Sight and Sound with Burmester, Vivaldi Apex, Transparent, and also ARC. These are grand speakers, and if you’re not too far from Atlanta, and you’re skeptical about Wilson, this should be a great place to hear what the fuss is really about.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I was invited to an upcoming event to show this system off. I have been a customer of HiFi Buys (the old Wilson dealer not too far from Evolution in Buckhead), but not Evolution, so perhaps they got my contact info directly from Wilson. Darryl and Bill Peugh are expected as guests.

It sounds like it will be an excellent opportunity to hear the XVX in a well set up environment. I’ve heard the XVX at Paragon Sight and Sound with Burmester, Vivaldi Apex, Transparent, and also ARC. These are grand speakers, and if you’re not too far from Atlanta, and you’re skeptical about Wilson, this should be a great place to hear what the fuss is really about.

I was the person who talked Daryl into coming. ;)

audioguy3107

Jul 30, 2018
Atlanta, Ga
I was the person who talked Daryl into coming. ;)
I need to get over there, I haven’t been to Evolution in years. I still have my Paradigm inwalls in a bedroom system I bought from them when they were over near Gwinnett Place. They were one of the first high end dealers I visited back in the mid-90s. They were pretty cool folks if aI remember.

- Buck

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I need to get over there, I haven’t been to Evolution in years. I still have my Paradigm inwalls in a bedroom system I bought from them when they were over near Gwinnett Place. They were one of the first high end dealers I visited back in the mid-90s. They were pretty cool folks if aI remember.

- Buck

Defintely worth the trip. Scott is doing very well there. Beautiful facility too!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Went back to Evolution today over lunch and hoo boy have things improved still. The bass is even better and the soundstaging is spot on.

Part was break-in and part was room acoustics since Scott and team have put up giant acoustic panels with album artwork on them. They also hung a film screen on the front wall to show brand signage and music videos. Really cool store!

Reactions: Another Johnson

mariusc

Feb 23, 2014
Johannesburg
I've spent a couple of months with the Chronosonics, experiencing firsthand how they improved since newly installed. Two subsonic bass towers are also part of the system, driven by Boulder amplification. Absolutely phenominal scale, dynamics, detail and midrange. Best LF integration I've ever heard, using the Wilson Audio crossover. Sorry, cannot find my good photos, but the following provides an idea.

1693578448940.jpeg
1693578875624.jpeg

Frontend is Airforce Zero.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I've spent a couple of months with the Chronosonics, experiencing firsthand how they improved since newly installed. Two subsonic bass towers are also part of the system, driven by Boulder amplification. Absolutely phenominal scale, dynamics, detail and midrange. Best LF integration I've ever heard, using the Wilson Audio crossover. Sorry, cannot find my good photos, but the following provides an idea.

View attachment 115988
View attachment 115989

Frontend is Airforce Zero.
Would love to see a photo or two of the Airforce Zero!

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Yet some prefer Devore ..:)

Audio , where one man’s Euphoria is another's anathema ...!

The End

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Yet some prefer Devore ..:)

Audio , where one man’s Euphoria is another's anathema ...!

The End

I am friends with John and love his speakers. Both are great companies making great speakers in my humble opinion. That said, the XVX is spectacular.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
I will be attending the Event on Thursday. Can't wait to hear that system!

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Just back home from the Wilson event. Had a great time thanks to Scott Carpenter and crew. Was able to spend a bit of time with Daryl Wilson. I must say he is impressive... very approachable and genuine. As to the XVX's all I can say is they are truly amazing. Every superlative I could come up with would apply. Expertly setup and displayed!

Attachments

• IMG_7377.jpeg
    IMG_7377.jpeg
    799.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7365.jpeg
    IMG_7365.jpeg
    684.6 KB · Views: 88

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Two nice surprises were that Joshua Dellinger, formerly with McIntosh, and the guys from Western Electric (Trent Suggs, Charles Whitener, and Jim Johnston) showed up.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Just back home from the Wilson event. Had a great time thanks to Scott Carpenter and crew. Was able to spend a bit of time with Daryl Wilson. I must say he is impressive... very approachable and genuine. As to the XVX's all I can say is they are truly amazing. Every superlative I could come up with would apply. Expertly setup and displayed!
Scott, is that you in the second photo? If so then I think we met briefly.

Reactions: ScottK

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Scott, is that you in the second photo? If so then I think we met briefly.
yes, its funny I knew some WBF folks would be there but had no way to identify them!

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
  • Haha
Reactions: Pokey77 and ScottK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing