Very happy w/ the Shunyata Typhon addition for the Triton......

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Where can you order it? It now comes as part of the Typhon. You used to be able to order Cobra, Python, and Anaconda versions of the umbilical from the Cable Company, but they are gone now. What happened is the Typhon price was increased $1000 to cover the Alpha HC umbilical that is now stock. While it might be the shortest, it certainly shouldn't be the most expensive power cord in the system. Time to upgrade the cords on the components. :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am about to order the Typhon umbilical but I have a little problem... it's going to be shortest and most expensive power cord in my system... I have a problem with that.

don't order it. Problem solved :)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You can order it from any dealer, $1000 (1m) - or $1,000,000 per kilometer :(

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am about to order the Typhon umbilical but I have a little problem... it's going to be shortest and most expensive power cord in my system... I have a problem with that.

Just order a longer version...at least it wont the be the shortest and most expensive anymore! ;)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
The problem is the Typhon works best with the shortest length.

wstam

Feb 17, 2013
I found the Typhon to require far less burn-in than the Triton

I remember reading Caelin or Grant saying that Typhon and the umbilical cord need longer time for burning-in as the current passing through them is low.... Can't stand the long process... :p

I have the Triton and various Zitron/Alpha PC in my system. Now trying a Typhon..... Well, guess don't need highlight all the positive effect already mentioned many times in the thread.... everything that I enjoy with Shunyata just up another level.... like another major upgrade. :D

Have not make the plunge yet. Still feel a bit guilty about spending so much just on the power enhancement as I have a modest system for a small listening room. However the benefits are obvious.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

wstam

Feb 17, 2013
Finally decided to go ahead and bought the Typhon. Received today and just plugged it into my Triton. So the burning in process begin....

As I have learned from this forum, I have used the fan to burn-in my various Shunyata PC. I am wondering if the fan will also help the burning in of Typhon (via the Triton)? I have asked this question on another forum but didn't get any response.

Thanks.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Finally decided to go ahead and bought the Typhon. Received today and just plugged it into my Triton. So the burning in process begin....

As I have learned from this forum, I have used the fan to burn-in my various Shunyata PC. I am wondering if the fan will also help the burning in of Typhon (via the Triton)? I have asked this question on another forum but didn't get any response.

Thanks.

The Typhon does not carry the current load. Therefore the fan will have no effect on burn-in. Just plug it in.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Caelin,
just curious is the decision not to make UK specification products (mains-power) due to possibly low volume and therefore the cost involved?
I appreciate one simple solution would be for me to relocate to another country :)

Just a shame as IMO there are not many with Shunyata background-expertise who sell mains products specific to UK.
Thanks
Orb

wstam

Feb 17, 2013
The Typhon does not carry the current load. Therefore the fan will have no effect on burn-in. Just plug it in.

Thanks Caelin. I have a question, in the Typhon box there is a cable included. It just has the "Typhon" label on the grey plug. There is no separate cable white box housing it. The quality certification card shows the sign-off date is 7/17/13 (same as the Typhon's card). What cable is this? This date seems to be prior to the launching of AHC.

Cheers.

Steve Williams

Thanks Caelin. I have a question, in the Typhon box there is a cable included. It just has the "Typhon" label on the grey plug. There is no separate cable white box housing it. The quality certification card shows the sign-off date is 7/17/13 (same as the Typhon's card). What cable is this? This date seems to be prior to the launching of AHC.

Cheers.

I would assume it is the Typhon umbilical

wstam

Feb 17, 2013
I would assume it is the Typhon umbilical

So is this the one based on the AHC? I remember someone mentioned here that it is labelled as "Typhon AHC". Some mentioned that it come with a separate standard Shunyata PC white box. Mime is in the Typhon box. I guess I am confused by the date on the cert. It was manufactured back in July last year. All my Alpha PC (digital, ananlog and HC) are manufactured between Mar and Apr this year.

Thanks.

Steve Williams

So is this the one based on the AHC? I remember someone mentioned here that it is labelled as "Typhon AHC". Some mentioned that it come with a separate standard Shunyata PC white box. Mime is in the Typhon box. I guess I am confused by the date on the cert. It was manufactured back in July last year. All my Alpha PC (digital, ananlog and HC) are manufactured between Mar and Apr this year.

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about it. You got the correct umbilical

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Thanks.

Mine has arrived but I haven't opened it yet since I'm away until Saturday. I'll let you know what I find then.

wstam

Feb 17, 2013
Now I know what is the cable came with my Typhon. It's a Python. The light in my system room is not that bright and I couldn't read the grey word on darker grey background clearly. I thought it was "Typhon". I took a photo of it for sending it to my dealer. As I imported the photo to my computer, I can then read the word clearly on an enlarged size photo. What has also added to the confusion is because even the dealer is not aware that there is a cable in the Typhon box delivered to me. They are ordering the AHC umbilical for me separately. So I thought it was already in the box when I opened it. That explains the manufactured date. If it's not stated as July last year, I would have thought that I am having the correct cable.

Thanks Steve for responding. MadFloyd, do let us know when you open yours.

Cheers.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Caelin,
just curious is the decision not to make UK specification products (mains-power) due to possibly low volume and therefore the cost involved?
I appreciate one simple solution would be for me to relocate to another country :)

Just a shame as IMO there are not many with Shunyata background-expertise who sell mains products specific to UK.
Thanks
Orb

Hey Orb,

The reason we (and others) do not make UK power products is due primarily to the onerous BSI regulations. The other is that the UK power plug is a terrible design for high end cabling due to its inability to accept anything but the smallest of wire diameters. The only decent power plug is made by Furutech which is a bit pricey.

However, we have been working on these and other issues related to making power products for the UK market. We now have a very good UK distributor (John Carroll) who will be helping us with certifications in the UK. We have designed our own UK power plug that solves all of the problems with the connector and it has BSI certs. We are anticipating the production of this new connector in the next couple of months. The contacts are made from solid machined billet tellurium copper with the ability to accept wire diameters up to 1/4 inch. The connector has other features that allow us to attach the large diameter cabling and tubing that we use in our power cables.

We plan to introduce versions of our power cables into the UK market this year. Then, as we develop a market there, we MAY develop a line power distributors similar to those in the US and EU markets.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com

Cheers.

There was only one cable labeled Typhon Umbilical, so you have the correct cable.

It should have been in the white box. I wonder if the dealer pre-inspected the Typhon and perhaps took the cable out of the box??

Please private message me with the dealer name you bought it from. Also include a photo of the cable and the inspection card please.

Thank you,

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Now I know what is the cable came with my Typhon. It's a Python. The light in my system room is not that bright and I couldn't read the grey word on darker grey background clearly. I thought it was "Typhon". I took a photo of it for sending it to my dealer. As I imported the photo to my computer, I can then read the word clearly on an enlarged size photo. What has also added to the confusion is because even the dealer is not aware that there is a cable in the Typhon box delivered to me. They are ordering the AHC umbilical for me separately. So I thought it was already in the box when I opened it. That explains the manufactured date. If it's not stated as July last year, I would have thought that I am having the correct cable.

Cheers.

Like I said, private message me and I will get to the bottom of it.

Thanks,

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Hey Orb,

The reason we (and others) do not make UK power products is due primarily to the onerous BSI regulations. The other is that the UK power plug is a terrible design for high end cabling due to its inability to accept anything but the smallest of wire diameters. The only decent power plug is made by Furutech which is a bit pricey.

However, we have been working on these and other issues related to making power products for the UK market. We now have a very good UK distributor (John Carroll) who will be helping us with certifications in the UK. We have designed our own UK power plug that solves all of the problems with the connector and it has BSI certs. We are anticipating the production of this new connector in the next couple of months. The contacts are made from solid machined billet tellurium copper with the ability to accept wire diameters up to 1/4 inch. The connector has other features that allow us to attach the large diameter cabling and tubing that we use in our power cables.

We plan to introduce versions of our power cables into the UK market this year. Then, as we develop a market there, we MAY develop a line power distributors similar to those in the US and EU markets.
That is great news and thank you for the info.
Will definitely look forward to keeping an eye out for when the cables are released with this connector, and I can appreciate from a business perspective a reasonable UK customer base will be required for development of power distributors, so fingers crossed Shunyata does well over here and Mr Carroll gets some of the mains-audio cable products reviewd by HiFi News, Hifi+,etc for awareness.

Thanks again
Orb

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Cheers.

I opened my two Typhon boxes yesterday. They both had a separate box containing the Typhon umbilical and the cables themselves were clearly denoted as such.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing