Very happy w/ the Shunyata Typhon addition for the Triton......

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
My unit came w/ a short 1/2 meter power cord supplied by Shunyata that will work if one stacks the units or if they are very close side by side. It was too short for my slightly more complicated side by side install, therefore I had to use what I had on hand: Two identical Audience AU24 E power cords (10 gauge, 20 amp), the Audience top of the line PC. IMO It's important to match the PC's so that the Triton & the Typhon have the identical cords. The arrangement works well sonically but I would like to hear what the Shunyata Python Tron PC's sound like w/ the TT combo. FYI At the same I did replace the power cord to my Rowland amp (Audience au24 E 20 amp) with a new Tron Python & it is better! App. 25-35% more there There.
After a few days w/ the TT combo it is sounding very good. It is not warm in the least which will be good for anyone stashing the units in cabinetry.
After trying several different footers (granite slabs, Still points Ultra, 4" butcher block, etc) my TT combo sound the best sitting directly on the bottom (framed & screwed to studs) of very sturdy built in bookshelves. If find the TT units are more or less dead neutral: Recordings sound more different from each other , thus revealing what's happening in the recording chain. Some real surprises in store for TT owners as they plum their music collections.

A note: The TT combo rocks out buy really shines w/ recording that have wide dynamic range, live venues & acoustic instruments.

RUN DON"t WALK & get Bill Frisell's "Gone, just like a train" , Nonesuch 79479-2 if you want to wallow in the pleasures of what the Shunyata TT combo can do to a good system! Crazy fun & a sonic festival.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My unit came w/ a short 1/2 meter power cord supplied by Shunyata that will work if one stacks the units or if they are very close side by side. It was too short for my slightly more complicated side by side install, therefore I had to use what I had on hand: Two identical Audience AU24 E power cords (10 gauge, 20 amp), the Audience top of the line PC. IMO It's important to match the PC's so that the Triton & the Typhon have the identical cords. The arrangement works well sonically but I would like to hear what the Shunyata Python Tron PC's sound like w/ the TT combo. FYI At the same I did replace the power cord to my Rowland amp (Audience au24 E 20 amp) with a new Tron Python & it is better! App. 25-35% more there There.
After a few days w/ the TT combo it is sounding very good. It is not warm in the least which will be good for anyone stashing the units in cabinetry.
After trying several different footers (granite slabs, Still points Ultra, 4" butcher block, etc) my TT combo sound the best sitting directly on the bottom (framed & screwed to studs) of very sturdy built in bookshelves. If find the TT units are more or less dead neutral: Recordings sound more different from each other , thus revealing what's happening in the recording chain. Some real surprises in store for TT owners as they plum their music collections.

A note: The TT combo rocks out buy really shines w/ recording that have wide dynamic range, live venues & acoustic instruments.

RUN DON"t WALK & get Bill Frisell's "Gone, just like a train" , Nonesuch 79479-2 if you want to wallow in the pleasures of what the Shunyata TT combo can do to a good system! Crazy fun & a sonic festival.

I use 3 Anaconda umbilicals for my Typhons and an Anaconda PC for my Triton. Are you saying that only an AHC umbilical is available now.

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Actually my dealer sent it home w/ me so I do not know if it's part of the package or not. I will call them tuesday when they open & ask. By the look of it is may be Tron HC 20 amp (not a python for sure.) I wonder if this will be then new model: Take the sting out of the admission price by offering a cord w/ the TT combo.

Steve Williams

Actually my dealer sent it home w/ me so I do not know if it's part of the package or not. I will call them tuesday when they open & ask. By the look of it is may be Tron HC 20 amp (not a python for sure.) I wonder if this will be then new model: Take the sting out of the admission price by offering a cord w/ the TT combo.

BTW, the AHC PC is excellent. I have two on my power amps. It takes many hours to break in but worth the wait

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Not so. The cord that comes with the combo is the AHC, which is a $1300 cord (in full length). So getting it for $1000 as part of the package in umbilical lenght is not exactly the deal of the century. I umbilical length Anaconda is listed for $2K, full length is $3K. I also don't understand why a HC cord is used in this application, since there is very low current running between the Typhon and the connected Triton, but that is for Caelin to explain (may be he already did and I missed it).

Steve Williams

Not so. The cord that comes with the combo is the AHC, which is a $1300 cord (in full length). So getting it for $1000 as part of the package in umbilical lenght is not exactly the deal of the century. I umbilical length Anaconda is listed for $2K, full length is $3K. I also don't understand why a HC cord is used in this application, since there is very low current running between the Typhon and the connected Triton, but that is for Caelin to explain (may be he already did and I missed it).

If it comes from the factory now with an AHC umbilical I think that speaks volumes.

Instructions say to use the best cable you can and to pair that with the same or something similar for the Triton or even where some of us have a Typhon and thats with amps. I am now using a pair of AHC PC's for my amps and a pair of Anaconda umbilicals. It would be an interesting experiment for me to compare those with AHC umbilicals

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
If it comes from the factory now with an AHC umbilical I think that speaks volumes.

Instructions say to use the best cable you can and to pair that with the same or something similar for the Triton or even where some of us have a Typhon and thats with amps. I am now using a pair of AHC PC's for my amps and a pair of Anaconda umbilicals. It would be an interesting experiment for me to compare those with AHC umbilicals

I just installed two AHC (burned in for a week) on my poweramps and have anaconda umbilicals as well. I already sold the anacondas I used on my poweramps before the AHCs, so never had the chance to A/B anaconda with AHC.

Steve Williams

I just installed two AHC (burned in for a week) on my poweramps and have anaconda umbilicals as well. I already sold the anacondas I used on my poweramps before the AHCs, so never had the chance to A/B anaconda with AHC.

I'm hoping to be able to. TBT the Anaconda is a magnificent cable. To me when I read that the price has gone up but now comes with an AHC PC I infer that Caelin is endorsing a cable that he feels can meet all of those expectations at an affordable cost.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm hoping to be able to. TBT the Anaconda is a magnificent cable. To me when I read that the price has gone up but now comes with an AHC PC I infer that Caelin is endorsing a cable that he feels can meet all of those expectations at an affordable cost.

Music direct still sells the Typhon stand alone for $5K. I presume if you want to buy a Typhon with anaconda umbilical from any other dealer you an still order that.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi All.

A number of comments and questions, so I'll fill in whatever blanks I can and when Caelin has the time he can chime in.

All Typhon's now ship/sell with our modified AHC umbilical so that the performance of the unit can be standardized for all applications. Caelin designed the new Typhon umbilical specifically to mate with the Typhon to maximize performance between the Typhon and wherever it is connected. There are no longer selection options.

For those who have Anaconda umbilicals, there is no point in switching as there are no calculable advantages to be gained. The Anaconda remains our reference, but the new Typhon umbilical offers the best value/performance outcome . Our goal was to have a Typhon package that represented what we consider to be consistent, reference-caliber performance, but at a reasonable price. We feel this new umbilical fits that criteria and also simplifies what was a more complex selection process.

The reasons for using a larger gauge, high-performance umbilical are as I described in an earlier post, to minimize any in-line resistance that would impede the rather weak, shared signal between the Typhon and its connection to the Triton, or to the wall -- and to closely match the performance of whatever is used between the Triton and the wall.

Regarding other power cord brands and longer length umbilicals: We will not manufacture or sell longer length umbilicals with the Typhon because it will significantly degrade performance. Our umbilicals are made to an exact length; one that will allow a comfortable connection between the units if they are stacked or set directly side-by-side. With every few inches that are added, critical performance is lost. That robs a very expensive product of its performance value, so we will not make longer umbilicals for the unit.

That doesn't mean the unit won't perform at all, or that some benefit won't be realized with a standard length power umbilical, just not the benefit that it was carefully designed to produce --and not a predictable one. The same is true for using different brand power cords with the Triton/Typhon. There may be a benefit, but not the one Caelin spent years developing DTCD measurement analysis, noise-reduction technologies, custom parts and materials to achieve.

The over-arcing goal with power should be to apply products as systems (whenever possible) when evaluating a manufacturers POV. Unlike signal cables, where mixing and matching to taste can achieve a desirable result, power should be looked at as more black and white; more from a technical POV. The Triton/Typhon combination is the most highly-calibrated example of our system approach, so the install/test protocols are rather important to the outcome.

Caelin designs with an extremely specific POV. All Shunyata products are designed to first, maximize peak-current (DTCD) and avoid any type of measurable reactance so the performance with all electronics systems is consistent. After that, he designs the products to provide localized "sinks" for system generated and radiated noise. Those are the two tenets-- DTCD- Improved peak-current efficiency-- and CCI Component to Component interference, that are paramount on his design agenda. Here is a description: http://www.shunyata.com/index.php/technical-feat/faqs/294-faq-electrical-system-concepts

You can of course, mix and match to your hearts content and many do. However, the more complex the mixture, the more varied and less predictable the result will be. I do all the traveling, pro-applications, review systems etc and I know from long experience what result to expect 100% of the time because I am working the products in as a 'system'.The benefit of consistent results are reflected in our reviews and professional feedback.

For the many that take home one or two of our power cords to mix with say, a regenerator or choke, you are combining two opposing approaches in one electrical chain and the result could be anything from ok to great, to bad, or anywhere in between. The same would be true of mixing our power cords with those that use network boxes, or putting a Triton behind a voltage regulator. To us, that makes little sense because of the opposing design perspectives.

I won't belabor everyone's time with any more anecdotes or explanation, but if there are lingering questions about your system or anything I mentioned, feel free to e-mail me using our cservice@shunyata.com link.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Grant/Caelin, the Cable Company shows the Typhon AHC umbilical as 15 amp and 20 amp. What does that mean? One end of the umbilical plugs into a 15 amp outlet on the Triton, and the other end plugs into the Typhon. Does that mean the Typhon will come with a 15 or 20 amp connector, depending on the cable ordered?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Grant/Caelin, the Cable Company shows the Typhon AHC umbilical as 15 amp and 20 amp. What does that mean? One end of the umbilical plugs into a 15 amp outlet on the Triton, and the other end plugs into the Typhon. Does that mean the Typhon will come with a 15 or 20 amp connector, depending on the cable ordered?

+1 , very confusing !!

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
The one that came w/ my spanking new Typhon is a 20 amp (c19 ) connector on the Typhon end of the jumper. My Triton is new as well.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013

There must be some copy error, there. I'll call to see about that. The Typhon has a 20A IEC only and is supplied in that configuration. There is no 15A IEC option.

Feel free to e-mail me these questions, comments. I'll likely see it more quickly and be able to address it.

Thank you,

Grant

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Mark, glad my recommendation to try the TT Combo inspired you... As I mentioned to you I had Triton in my system for a delightful spell a while ago, and the result was nothing short of amazing!
Meantime, I am using a single digital source and no analog rig... feeding Esoteric X-01 SPDIF out into Rowland Aeris DAC into the M925 monos with magnificent results... This means that my beloved Criterion is out of the chain, and I am seriously considering finding a new home for it... A music lover who will take advantage of its I/O flexibility. Once Criterion has found a caring adoptive parent, I might be able to fund a couple of Typhons for the amps.

Saluti, GC.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I just tried to order the Typhon from the Cable Company. Their web-site has a bug in it where it doubles the price of the Typhon from $5995 to $11990. It appears they are charging $5995 for the Typhon and $5995 for the included umbilical. LOL. I wonder how many they have sold. I sent them an email so hopefully they get it fixed before I change my mind. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 367

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
That was fast. This morning I had an email saying it was fixed, and I placed my order. This pretty much completes my stereo, as I now have all Anaconda ICs, Anaconda speaker cables, Anaconda, Python, Cobra, Alpha Digital power cords, Cyclops for the amps, and Triton/Typhon for the source gear.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
That was fast. This morning I had an email saying it was fixed, and I placed my order. This pretty much completes my stereo, as I now have all Anaconda ICs, Anaconda speaker cables, Anaconda, Python, Cobra, Alpha Digital power cords, Cyclops for the amps, and Triton/Typhon for the source gear.

Why are you not plugging your amps into the T/T combo , supposedly not current limiting .

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Why are you not plugging your amps into the T/T combo , supposedly not current limiting .

I did until I added a second 20 amp lines for the amps (Pass Labs X600.5). Along with the non-current limiting Cyclops (designed primarily for amps), this removed another layer of haze, and upped the sound quality.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I did until I added a second 20 amp lines for the amps (Pass Labs X600.5). Along with the non-current limiting Cyclops (designed primarily for amps), this removed another layer of haze, and upped the sound quality.

Tripped and damaged the surge protector while blasting out , did you ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing