Very happy w/ the Shunyata Typhon addition for the Triton......

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Tripped and damaged the surge protector while blasting out , did you ;)

Stuff happens. The possibility always exists with anything mechanical/electrical that any random part will be defective. However, the customer service from Shunyata was the absolute best experience I have ever had. That service, along with the stellar performance of their products, has made me a customer for life.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Stuff happens. The possibility always exists with anything mechanical/electrical that any random part will be defective. However, the customer service from Shunyata was the absolute best experience I have ever had. That service, along with the stellar performance of their products, has made me a customer for life.

Mechanical/electrical failure is understandable , and not a problem with efficient back up as in your case . The point I am trying to establish , is that if the current breaker popped then at some point it is restricting current , not right then to classify the T/T as non current limiting in that case .

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Mechanical/electrical failure is understandable , and not a problem with efficient back up as in your case . The point I am trying to establish , is that if the current breaker popped then at some point it is restricting current , not right then to classify the T/T as non current limiting in that case .

The only point you are making is you are trolling. If you want to discuss the Triton's functionality then start a thread and state your case.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The only point you are making is you are trolling. If you want to discuss the Triton's functionality then start a thread and state your case.

Trolling ! far from it , is this not a T/T thread ? only to extol it's virtues is it, and not discuss otherwise . Sorry if I am missing the point !

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have a 20 amp circuit for my two monoblocks and a 15 amp circuit for my sources.

If I were to buy just one Typhon, is it more effective plugged into the amp or source outlets?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have a 20 amp circuit for my two monoblocks and a 15 amp circuit for my sources.

If I were to buy just one Typhon, is it more effective plugged into the amp or source outlets?

I have the same configuration (2 monos on one circuit, rest on other circuit). I installed a quadplex on the circuit for monos and plugged in the pai + typon + venom defender. Other circuit has one Triton. Did not have have to patience to do all sorts of A/B comparisons though.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Your Doshi are monoblocks?
How many outlets insert into your dedicated 20A circuit?

Yes they are, but I'm using Pass XA160.8 monoblocks at the moment.

My dedicated 20A circuit has two duplex outlets - one near each amp (speaker location). I thought I could just plug a Typhon into the spare outlet in either of the two duplex's.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have the same configuration (2 monos on one circuit, rest on other circuit). I installed a quadplex on the circuit for monos and plugged in the pai + typon + venom defender. Other circuit has one Triton. Did not have have to patience to do all sorts of A/B comparisons though.

What's a pai?

Also, isn't a Venom Defender redundant with a Typhon?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Okay - then yes, I believe you could have the Typhon on your front-end or the amps. Which is optimal? I'm afraid it will come down to the standard answer of "try it both ways" and see which your prefer. I really like what it does for amps but it will be effective for either set of gear so I'd say its a matter of personal preference. A different idea would be to start with a Triton if you don't have one, and put your front-end on that. The Triton does contain NICs like the Typhon (though with a smaller quantity of their ferroelectric material), but the Triton also includes current protection and the MPDA filter array which is effective at targeting specific noise bands at different points across the frequency spectrum. Of course you can always add a Typhon to the Triton or vice versa. Just a thought...

Thank you.

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
FYI I did numerous listening test using the TT umbilical as supplied w/ the units. In the end it was not sonically better (in fact less so) than using matching a pair of Audience au 24 SE 20 amp power cords w/ top line $$$ modified Furutech ends.
(Each PC being 1 meter long.)
To my ears the umbilical was less spatial, slightly lower HF extension & not a good synergy w/ the rest of my system. It also was NOT broken in so this may be a factor.
I realize there are many variables at play & results will vary greatly BUT it's not a bad idea to try any matching pair very good of 20 amp power cords you may have on hand w/ the TT combo as opposed to simply using the umbilical w/o comparing. I mean this in 100% respect & awareness that Shunyata does not believe anything is a prefect as the new umbilical w/ the TT combo.
As of today the TT combo keeps getting better & better: I hear greater LF control, more front-to-rear spatial definition & cleaner, richer vocals. Also as the copper bits in the Trtiton settle in the unit seems to provide greater dynamic range & nuance.
Bravo Shunyata.
Near perfect application & inductance seems to be the umbilicals bench-mark traits & may be the reason Shunyata takes such a strong position of using other/longer cables in the TT combo?

sidebar: I have used the Triton & Typhon units in two ways: Sitting on as intended on the feet & on sitting the faceplate on one layer of felt (on the low built in bookcase framed in solid maple.) It was interesting that the Triton sound exactly the same either way BUT the Typhon does not sound as good on its face? Go figure?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
FYI I did numerous listening test using the TT umbilical as supplied w/ the units. In the end it was not sonically better (in fact less so) than using matching a pair of Audience au 24 SE 20 amp power cords w/ top line $$$ modified Furutech ends.
(Each PC being 1 meter long.)
To my ears the umbilical was less spatial, slightly lower HF extension & not a good synergy w/ the rest of my system. It also was NOT broken in so this may be a factor.
I realize there are many variables at play & results will vary greatly BUT it's not a bad idea to try any matching pair very good of 20 amp power cords you may have on hand w/ the TT combo as opposed to simply using the umbilical w/o comparing. I mean this in 100% respect & awareness that Shunyata does not believe anything is a prefect as the new umbilical w/ the TT combo.
As of today the TT combo keeps getting better & better: I hear greater LF control, more front-to-rear spatial definition & cleaner, richer vocals. Also as the copper bits in the Trtiton settle in the unit seems to provide greater dynamic range & nuance.
Bravo Shunyata.
Near perfect application & inductance seems to be the umbilicals bench-mark traits & may be the reason Shunyata takes such a strong position of using other/longer cables in the TT combo?

sidebar: I have used the Triton & Typhon units in two ways: Sitting on as intended on the feet & on sitting the faceplate on one layer of felt (on the low built in bookcase framed in solid maple.) It was interesting that the Triton sound exactly the same either way BUT the Typhon does not sound as good on its face? Go figure?

out of fairness, that umbilical needs at least 100 hours of burn in

ipadasher

Mar 16, 2014
I want to change my power conditioner(which are pretty good) and was thinking os the triton/typhon (sound improvement), but I have some doubts and maybe you guys can help me:

1 - Is it a good surge protector? Does it protect the equipments against blackouts? (I am in Brasil ant the electricity is pretty bad on my city, a lot of electricity peaks and blackouts whenever there is a strong rain)
2 - Has anyone compared it against purepower + equipment or PS audio P10?
3 - Should I connect my amplifiers on it (bryston 28bsst2)? (Today each one has a QX4 from Nordost and then to the AC outlet)

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I want to change my power conditioner(which are pretty good) and was thinking os the triton/typhon (sound improvement), but I have some doubts and maybe you guys can help me:

1 - Is it a good surge protector? Does it protect the equipments against blackouts? (I am in Brasil ant the electricity is pretty bad on my city, a lot of electricity peaks and blackouts whenever there is a strong rain)
2 - Has anyone compared it against purepower + equipment or PS audio P10?
3 - Should I connect my amplifiers on it (bryston 28bsst2)? (Today each one has a QX4 from Nordost and then to the AC outlet)

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english

This heresy will probably earn me a lynching here, but I found the differences between Typhon / Triton and PS audio P5 marginal. I could happily live with either one.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
edorr run for cover !!!!:D

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
I'd like to address a few points and comments. I'm late to the thread because of travel, so excuse the delayed replies.

If anyone has questions that need timely answers its best to address them to our cservice.com address and they will be promptly answered. I travel quite a bit and Caelin designs and runs the show, so participation here and elsewhere can be spotty.

As far as the umbilical is concerned, we now package an optimized Typhon Umbilical with the units. We do this with the purpose of optimizing performance and controlling variables that could affect the outcome of a trial. There is minimal current flow shared between the Typhon and whatever it connects to, obviously, because it sits in parallel on the line and not in series with the Hydra or components. This places a premium on patience for the first five-six days of use during a trial because the Typhon umbilical is an aggregate 7 gauge cord that will take time to stabilize (performance wise). If you run comparisons with broken in models from other brands, that puts any new umbilical at a disadvantage. Having said that, there's no law that says good performance can't be had using a low-impedance short length run of another power cord. However, the outcome will be very unpredictable from our POV. The Typhon is a very unique product that Caelin spent years developing to obtain a specific result. He's done this by controlling every conceivable design variable, including designing an extremely low-resistance, high quality umbilical that has proven many times over to yield a consistent and positive result.

Regarding protection:

Yes, the Triton has three stages of protection--the MPDA filter set, surge and spike protection and a carling electromagnetic breaker for over-current protection. There is no such thing as "perfect" protection short of unplugging components during a storm, but with fewer than 10 total Hydra returns for service world-wide in 14 years, we come pretty close. Soon, we will be announcing a life-time Limited Warranty on all Hydra and Power Cord products. That should speak to the products failure rate. Even with that, the best home/system protection is Whole-House Surge protection installed at the panel.

Current limiting:

Someone made a comment in this thread, or perhaps another, about "current limiting" with Hydras. Typically, that term applies to averaged current, whether a product is rated at a full 15A, 20A etc. There are zero artificial limits to averaged _or_ peak-current delivery built into any Hydra model --with the exception of the new Hydra DPC 6 (for digital front ends), but even then, it has a 20A rating. More importantly, here are no chokes, coils, transformers or other peak-current limiting parts or materials used in any of the other Hydras and that is by design. The only reason Hydras are limited to 20A is the 20A Carling breaker on the back of all the units-- excepting the 2 outlet Cyclops which has none. All multi-outlet power distributors greater than 2 outlets are required by code to have a fuse or breaker of some kind. Caelin chose the best (and most expensive) in terms of minimized resistance and maximum contact area for current.

Caelin developed the DTCD analyzer to allow him to measure the peak current efficiency of every part and material that goes into the Hydras. All Hydra parts within the path of current have been designed with the absolute minimum measurable resistance to peak current. Hydras will support as much current as the breaker at the panel is rated for, up to the 20A breaker limit. Hydras will, and have supported amplifiers of all types and designs, no matter how high-current they are. Thousands of customers, many of whom use a normal house line rated to 15 or 20A, use Hydras for their entire system with exceptional results.

All that said, two truths remain a constant: ANY and all added connections in front of electronics will add some form of measurable contact resistance and two; if you have more than one dedicated line for the system-- meaning each with its own breaker; plugging the amps into their own dedicated line will ALWAYS be preferable to summing an entire systems worth of current through a single line/breaker, Hydra or not. It's common sense; who wouldn't want up to 40A-60A of total current available to a system of dynamic-draw components, split over two-three lines, versus a single line of 15 to 20A? The short answer is there are no current limiting devices built into the Hydra models, but that's too simple an answer from our design POV. Caelin's design priority has always favored maximum current, minimum current paths and custom-designed parts aimed at eliminating resistance to DTCD.

Performance:

We don't make any wild claims of perfect performance in every system or that every trial will be like every other. Given the host of variables within individual systems; including how people listen, how they evaluate and what their system goals are-- music, recording, AV, combined HT etc. its impossible for these products, or any product, to be all things to all people. That is why we work so hard through dealers to provide evaluation access to products. Of the hundreds to thousands of performance reports, both on line and off-- professional, review and consumer, I like our track record compared to anything in our category. The rest comes down to the individual's experience and preference, which many have shared here and elsewhere.

If there are individual follow ups or system questions, feel free to contact me or our factory directly.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Last edited:

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Russ- I think you might just love it. I got it home, set it up as if I were going to keep it forever. I had to do some cabinet drilling & mods to put it side by side w/ the Triton. Plugged it in and went out for a 4 hour gallery opening, Got home and...........it just was magical! We listened until 2 am. Beyond a doubt it is remarkable.
Having said this I realize I am one who listens to a very diverse range of music & love the TT combo in particular because it actually sounds like real instruments w/ decay, ambient information and spatial information. The soundstage is simply huge & only limited by the recording itself and the space of one's listening room. My space is a perfect venue to show off the TT combo so I love love it!
A word about bass/LF abilities: The TT combo can reproduce very low level info that is almost scary in it's presence. Our audiophile cat, a japanese bobtail who has huge ears was perplexed as she tracked spatial clues in a constant 360 degree motion.
You must have a birthday coming up!!!

Mark,

I have now had a Typhon in my system for 6 days. Ironically it came as part of my latest Shunyata order that also included 5 Alpha HC PC's to replace a bunch of Anaconda's that I sold to generate enough money to buy the Typhon and still be able to pay for my daughter's wedding.

Due to my circumstances and the prolonged break-in with a bunch of Alpha Digital PC's I inserted the Typhon into an available socket of a dedicated SRZ1 outlet in parallel to my Spectral 260, which was running on a temporary PC (a HT AC-10) while its new PC broke in. My Triton was also offline because its new PC a 20A Alpha HC was also part of the 5 cord break-in daisy chain powering fan. Granted the Typhon had a brand new Typhon A-HC umbilical connecting it to the wall so the odds were against a good showing for the Typhon out of the box.

Well, let's say that out of the box (less than 10 minutes with a new umbilical) I was already blown away. I had been without a Triton, Anaconda's and a Python for 3 weeks while my new cords were built and shipped. During that time, I simply lost my interest in listening to music because my system sounded like a lifeless system, made up of various components again, and not like the live music it sounded like before I sold all of my previous Anaconda's, including the one powering the Triton.

The insertion of the Typhon in parallel to my amp, powered by an inferior cord brought back at least half of what I lost, and I still did not have the Trition in the system. During the next 4 days the sound improved dramatically as the Typhon and its umbilical settled in. At times, when thinking about paying for a wedding, I wondered if I needed the other power cords and the Triton.

Then yesterday I started inserting the Alpha HC's one by one with at least 8 hours between additional insertions. The first one went into the Spectral, on the same duplex as the Typhon. The sound improvement was instant, although bass deficient as judged by the Fairfield Four basso, but the articulation and imaging were now better than what I had before I began this most recent shift, and still no Triton. Last night I added another Alpha HC to my tube preamp that I plugged into another duplex on the same circuit as the Typhon and Spectral. Initially this was a step backwards, but then started to come to life after about an hour or two of annealing. Now I was definitely ahead of where I was pre change, but still no Triton in the system

Today, I put another Alpha HC into the Triton into another dedicated circuit and then shifted my other 5 Shunyata Alpha Digitals, plus the Alpha HC plugged into my preamp into the Triton, but still left the Typhon in the same circuit in parallel with the Spectral. At first, due to all of the unplugging and then replugging into the Triton in combination with the Triton being off for 4 weeks, plus a new Alpha HC connecting it to the wall, the sound was darn unimpressive, probably due largely to the need for annealing.

Now 4 hours later, the sound is already in the range of definitely superior to what I had pre change, although the bass is not fully there because I have not inserted the two remaining Alpha HC's into my JL F 113's, which is supposed where they are supposed to shine according to Caelin.

I am going to insert the remaining two Alpha HC's in the JL's after I take Myrtle for a walk, but leave the Typhon in place for 2-3 days before trying it directly into the Triton as Caelin suggests. The problem is that I will surely miss it in the amp/sub circuit, probably meaning that I will now have to ask my daughter to drop some guests from her wedding so that I can afford another Typhon. However, there is another wild card that will not comment on now because it is truly baffling me in a very positive manner, namely the insertion of a Defender into the front end in parallel and now plugged into the Triton.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Mark,

I have now had a Typhon in my system for 6 days. Ironically it came as part of my latest Shunyata order that also included 5 Alpha HC PC's to replace a bunch of Anaconda's that I sold to generate enough money to buy the Typhon and still be able to pay for my daughter's wedding.

Due to my circumstances and the prolonged break-in with a bunch of Alpha Digital PC's I inserted the Typhon into an available socket of a dedicated SRZ1 outlet in parallel to my Spectral 260, which was running on a temporary PC (a HT AC-10) while its new PC broke in. My Triton was also offline because its new PC a 20A Alpha HC was also part of the 5 cord break-in daisy chain powering fan. Granted the Typhon had a brand new Typhon A-HC umbilical connecting it to the wall so the odds were against a good showing for the Typhon out of the box.

Well, let's say that out of the box (less than 10 minutes with a new umbilical) I was already blown away. I had been without a Triton, Anaconda's and a Python for 3 weeks while my new cords were built and shipped. During that time, I simply lost my interest in listening to music because my system sounded like a lifeless system, made up of various components again, and not like the live music it sounded like before I sold all of my previous Anaconda's, including the one powering the Triton.

The insertion of the Typhon in parallel to my amp, powered by an inferior cord brought back at least half of what I lost, and I still did not have the Trition in the system. During the next 4 days the sound improved dramatically as the Typhon and its umbilical settled in. At times, when thinking about paying for a wedding, I wondered if I needed the other power cords and the Triton.

Then yesterday I started inserting the Alpha HC's one by one with at least 8 hours between additional insertions. The first one went into the Spectral, on the same duplex as the Typhon. The sound improvement was instant, although bass deficient as judged by the Fairfield Four basso, but the articulation and imaging were now better than what I had before I began this most recent shift, and still no Triton. Last night I added another Alpha HC to my tube preamp that I plugged into another duplex on the same circuit as the Typhon and Spectral. Initially this was a step backwards, but then started to come to life after about an hour or two of annealing. Now I was definitely ahead of where I was pre change, but still no Triton in the system

Today, I put another Alpha HC into the Triton into another dedicated circuit and then shifted my other 5 Shunyata Alpha Digitals, plus the Alpha HC plugged into my preamp into the Triton, but still left the Typhon in the same circuit in parallel with the Spectral. At first, due to all of the unplugging and then replugging into the Triton in combination with the Triton being off for 4 weeks, plus a new Alpha HC connecting it to the wall, the sound was darn unimpressive, probably due largely to the need for annealing.

Now 4 hours later, the sound is already in the range of definitely superior to what I had pre change, although the bass is not fully there because I have not inserted the two remaining Alpha HC's into my JL F 113's, which is supposed where they are supposed to shine according to Caelin.

I am going to insert the remaining two Alpha HC's in the JL's after I take Myrtle for a walk, but leave the Typhon in place for 2-3 days before trying it directly into the Triton as Caelin suggests. The problem is that I will surely miss it in the amp/sub circuit, probably meaning that I will now have to ask my daughter to drop some guests from her wedding so that I can afford another Typhon. However, there is another wild card that will not comment on now because it is truly baffling me in a very positive manner, namely the insertion of a Defender into the front end in parallel and now plugged into the Triton.

welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

How does one nicely say , "I told you so"

you won't rest until you get that extra Typhon. Count your blessings that you have a stereo amp and not monoblocks as you will only need one rather than two more Typhons

Hands down for me, in over 50 years in this hobby the Triton/Typhon(s) in my system were true game changers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing