Thoughts on hearing a Wilson XVX Chronosonic System at Evolution Hifi

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hong Kong. An interesting story. I was invited to hear the new Wilson Alexx V in the home of a friend of a friend earlier this year. The owner lives alone in an old apartment, and he has dedicated his living/dining room to his audio hobby. It immediately struck me when I entered because the room was very small and almost cube like in dimensions. The large speakers were tucked into the corners with super expensive high powered SS amps in the middle. The owner spent most of the time telling everyone how much money he spent on his system, and how he got his equipment upgraded with special caps, wiring etc. When he started playing music (if you can call it that), it was very apparent that there is a huge peak somewhere in the bass region, probably around 80Hz. Talking about boomy one note bass. In fact, the whole room was shaking due to the resonance. He kept playing tracks that had a lot of energy in this spectrum, and telling everyone how amazing the bass of his system was. He then proceeded to play tracks of a shrieking woman (apparently a sound track from a Japanese horror movie) and other sound effects. It got a bit too much for me, and I wanted to leave.
He then said "So and so (a veteran audio dealer in Hong Kong) came by last week to listen, and he said it is the most rubbish sound he has ever heard. What does the guy know about audio ? He is just envious because I did not buy from him." I just happen to know this dealer well, and his business has thrived after more than 25 years because he is brutally honest and always generous with his time and considerable expertise towards fellow audiophiles, customer or not. At that point, I asked to be excused.
And you are correct. This is not the sound I prefer.

Thanks again, but I am sad that you choose to refer this almost morbid case of Hong Kong extreme audiophilia involving Wilson Audio and ignore the surely great systems that your competent audio dealer has surely installed in this thread about a great XVX demo. The fact that the system was assembled in absence of the dealer confirms that this system is not representative of typical Wilson Audio systems.

Considering the big success, longevity of the brand and relatively large sales of Wilson Audio speakers it is very probable that many people know about poor systems using them - it is the price of being successful.

I prefer to address mostly the positive experiences I had, independently of the brand being addressed, ignoring those I disliked. It is my way of living this hobby. I would never be a member of WWF. (What is the Worst Forum) ...

Reactions: Pokey77 and ScottK

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
On paper this is the worst configuration, to combine those two designs. Only way is to downplay the cone bass to let it integrate with the horn, kind of like Martin Logan hybrids, but the hybrids used are 5k and are good at downplaying the bass (by downplaying I mean not let it stick out, and allow the listener to accept the whole thing as a compromise. No one buys a Logan hybrid for the bass)
I did ! Twice ! :)

Reactions: bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I did ! Twice ! :)
To be fair, you bought their flagship tower subs twice...which like other major reference speakers is a hybrid between main panels or main horns and massive cone towers. IRS V/Genesis 1, Pendragons, Acapella Sphaeron, MBL 101-X Extreme, and your ML E2 Statement.

Most of the criticisms about hybrids I read tend to be about the mid-sized speakers which combine both technologies into one design.

I wonder if the flagships handover to the bass towers at a different /lower point...and also if the main speakers have far more power/upper bass on their own, while the towers also have superior performance capability...all to create a more seamless balance between the two.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
To be fair, you bought their flagship tower subs twice...which like other major reference speakers is a hybrid between main panels or main horns and massive cone towers. IRS V/Genesis 1, Pendragons, Acapella Sphaeron, MBL 101-X Extreme, and your ML E2 Statement.

Most of the criticisms about hybrids I read tend to be about the mid-sized speakers which combine both technologies into one design.

I wonder if the flagships handover to the bass towers at a different /lower point...and also if the main speakers have far more power/upper bass on their own, while the towers also have superior performance capability...all to create a more seamless balance between the two.
Crossover can be set for your room and speaker position, both passive handover from panel to mid-bass open baffle drivers and sub bass crossover point with phase adjustment and analog room node/dip adjustments (25 HZ and 50HZ) trough the active crossover. :)

• Love
Reactions: Johan K

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Crossover can be set for your room and speaker position, both passive handover from panel to mid-bass open baffle drivers and sub bass crossover point with phase adjustment and analog room node/dip adjustments (25 HZ and 50HZ) trough the active crossover. :)
Nice! I will remember that as we start to think later this year or early next about custom sub.

Reactions: Lagonda

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Thanks again, but I am sad that you choose to refer this almost morbid case of Hong Kong extreme audiophilia involving Wilson Audio and ignore the surely great systems that your competent audio dealer has surely installed in this thread about a great XVX demo. The fact that the system was assembled in absence of the dealer confirms that this system is not representative of typical Wilson Audio systems.

Considering the big success, longevity of the brand and relatively large sales of Wilson Audio speakers it is very probable that many people know about poor systems using them - it is the price of being successful.

I prefer to address mostly the positive experiences I had, independently of the brand being addressed, ignoring those I disliked. It is my way of living this hobby. I would never be a member of WWF. (What is the Worst Forum) ...
I was just relating my experience, that's all. I have the greatest respect for Wilson, and have had excellent experiences listening to the speakers. However, Wilson also attracts the type of buyers who are more interested in the prestige than the sound, and you can't blame the importer for selling to whoever wants to buy. The dealer in the story does not represent Wilson. To be honest, I would have advised the guy, if I were his dealer, to buy something smaller and with less low frequency extension, given the size of room. Unfortunately, his room was not conducive to good sound, but maybe that was not his focus.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) However, Wilson also attracts the type of buyers who are more interested in the prestige than the sound, and you can't blame the importer for selling to whoever wants to buy. (...)

In this hobby prestige is won by the intrinsic quality of the product. And what we see in forums and magazines is just the tip of the iceberg - the majority of fortunate owners of Wilson or other top speakers with proper systems are reserved people who do not want to share their privacy to the world.

IMO general statements should be analyzed and commented considering statistics and the why's in an audio forum, not just as audiophile gossip, where exceptions sometimes become rules. And the truth, as pointed by many members, ir that many high-end systems are improperly assembled and tuned due to lack of expertise of dealers and owners. Wilson Audio is aware of this and have a solid and large network of trained dealers around the world since long that provide excellent work.

BTW, considering the referred 80 Hz boominess problem you refer, probably a good equalizer such as the Rives Audio PARK or similar would help this system, but unfortunately most audio fundamentalists reject such options. A good friend of mine and Wilson Audio owner uses it - yes, sometimes we forget that most Wilson Audio owners are open mind people.

I must say that I have owned several Wilson speakers around decades and also many non Wilson speakers. I am in the process of moving and I am not sure if my next speaker will be an Wilson speaker - fortunately the XVX is excluded by ceiling height ;). But I (and all my friends who listened to it, BTW) can say that, IMO the XLF's were by far the best speaker I have owned.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In this hobby prestige is won by the intrinsic quality of the product. And what we see in forums and magazines is just the tip of the iceberg - the majority of fortunate owners of Wilson or other top speakers with proper systems are reserved people who do not want to share their privacy to the world.

ok

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I was just relating my experience, that's all. I have the greatest respect for Wilson, and have had excellent experiences listening to the speakers. However, Wilson also attracts the type of buyers who are more interested in the prestige than the sound, and you can't blame the importer for selling to whoever wants to buy. The dealer in the story does not represent Wilson. To be honest, I would have advised the guy, if I were his dealer, to buy something smaller and with less low frequency extension, given the size of room. Unfortunately, his room was not conducive to good sound, but maybe that was not his focus.
Was the owner and Oligarch?

I have seen Wilson dealera walk a client right past the sweet spot to make a buck. Out local dealer did as such. Instead they should have directed the owner to better amps and source than the Linn he was using. After the fact they tell him he needs the CH pre/digital.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Was the owner and Oligarch?

I have seen Wilson dealera walk a client right past the sweet spot to make a buck. Out local dealer did as such. Instead they should have directed the owner to better amps and source than the Linn he was using. After the fact they tell him he needs the CH pre/digital.
I have the feeling the guy is a know-it-all, and the dealer probably was glad to let him do whatever he wants. I certainly knew to keep my mouth shut.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have the feeling the guy is a know-it-all, and the dealer probably was glad to let him do whatever he wants. I certainly knew to keep my mouth shut.
WHAT, I though all audiophile were humble and accepted others probably know more than them.
Funny, as I try and type that I realize that is how most audiophile get Fd.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Heard them sound both coherent and incoherent all about setup and listening distance . Bass boomy yes always on DAG amps boomy not so on spectral for eg...!

heard Alexandria X2S2 on spectral twice in different rooms. Set up can’t fundamentally change poor driver matching and complex crossovers

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
heard Alexandria X2S2 on spectral twice in different rooms. Set up can’t fundamentally change poor driver matching and complex crossovers

Agree ,

Never heard that model I’m talking the models which are physically adjustable ..!

Play with toe next time you venture ..!

BTW i have never heard ( well rarely maybe 1 or 2 over decades and many models ) a horn speaker sound coherent , always top and bass unit with shout ..!

Can i paint them all the same ..?

Regards

• Haha
Reactions: Argonaut

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Agree ,

Never heard that model I’m talking the models which are physically adjustable ..!

Play with toe next time you venture ..!

BTW i have never heard ( well rarely maybe 1 or 2 over decades and many models ) a horn speaker sound coherent , always top and bass unit with shout ..!

Can i paint them all the same ..?

Regards

sorry, you are talking about a generic category, I am talking about a particularly widely available brand. I personally dislike most horns and love a very select few. You need to take your strawman arguments elsewhere

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Pretty nasty response , didn't realize i was making a strawman argument, did you choke on it ..?

It was not a Generic model mentioned , i said the WA models which are adjustable, if done right can be coherent ..

It does seem you have something out for WA , your response are never about audio , never anything intelligent or suggestive to add always personal ..!

Maybe you have some kind of system envy going on ..

Sigh ....

Regards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing