Zu loudspeakers

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've been encouraged by new kid on the block SETDrugs to start a thread on Zu.

I have been reluctant, I'm known to bang on about Zu endlessly, and maybe I've said all there is to say.

But in the last 3 months I've so improved things w them, I've developed a whole new appreciation for what they do well (while being totally aware of their limitations), and this feels like the right time to properly extol their virtues on a dedicated thread.

I've asked fellow owners: long time favourite here Caesar, new guy and Thomas Mayer fanatic SETDrugs, and occasional poster 213Cobra, to chip in. You all know how I hate the sound of my voice LOL.

So, I'll post thoughts soon on why I bought Zu, why I've stuck w them over a decade, and why the last 3 months has totally vindicated my decision.

I'm just hoping I can get some interest in a true 100% American success story.

Reactions: SETDrugs

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I've been encouraged by new kid on the block SETDrugs to start a thread on Zu.

I have been reluctant, I'm known to bang on about Zu endlessly, and maybe I've said all there is to say.

But in the last 3 months I've so improved things w them, I've developed a whole new appreciation for what they do well (while being totally aware of their limitations), and this feels like the right time to properly extol their virtues on a dedicated thread.

I've asked fellow owners: long time favourite here Caesar, new guy and Thomas Mayer fanatic SETDrugs, and occasional poster 213Cobra, to chip in. You all know how I hate the sound of my voice LOL.

So, I'll post thoughts soon on why I bought Zu, why I've stuck w them over a decade, and why the last 3 months has totally vindicated my decision.

I'm just hoping I can get some interest in a true 100% American success story.
Dear Marc,

You can sum up all your comments about Zu and you would already get 10 pages of the new thread. I think they are very nice looking speakers. Especially like this one. My wife saw it and said I should get rid of the huge Gamma and buy this. Suit TM equipments esthetically too.

AD73C39E-BDA2-4139-8BC5-6C21A2CDD884.jpeg

Kind regards,
Tang

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Thanks for the target practice, Marc. Wouldn't want things to get boring around here.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, that's a unit that Sean of Zu has been thinking of bringing to the market.

The Zu Modern Console.

Its in effect the 50s radiogram imagined for the modern day. Comprises a cabinet installed with a pair of Cube full rangers, Undertone sub, and space inside to place you're favoured source and amps.

Unfortunately it looks like there's no real market for such a unit, and Sean only releases things when he's really happy.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Carl, yes there is a great degree of masochism involved in even mentioning Zu.

One thing I love about them is that they have not only survived, but indeed thrived, rubbing shoulders less than 100 miles from Wilson.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I know SETdrugs, but which ones did you take to start this thread

Reactions: Lee Henley

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I tried to take the one you're on. When I read your "stream of conciousness" witterings about Devore, and then Tannoy v Wilson, Magico, I sought out your dealer of choice. I'm afraid he told me he saved the special stuff just for you.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Certainly hoping other owners chip in here.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
My wife saw it and said I should get rid of the huge Gamma and buy this
Did you show your wife my Universums?
Wonder what she says to those... :oops:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have an idea for a quiz show for those of us who descend to Hades.

The one where our wives and GFs get to choose our spkrs for us from a long line.

Chronosonic, Arrakis, Trios, Apogee Grands etc all pass by, only for a nice pair of $99 non branded bookshelf spkrs lined in faux fur to be chosen.

And we have to show our appreciation.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
More like a counselling session;)

Hello, my name is Spiritofmusic and I’m a Zu owner.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Back on track, I thought I'd talk about the main ethos of chief designer Sean, and how he's tried to bring that thru in his varied models.

He started off, and still is, a massive fan of horns. He tried long and hard to try and work horns onto a more convenient form for typical smaller rooms, but he failed to solve certain compromises.

He then realised he liked a lot of older box spkr driver designs from 50s onwards that effectively veered towards full range drivers and simple crossovers.

And once he thought about it, he realised so many modern conventional designs lost a certain spark in musical communication.
Something in the simplest straightwire design of minimal/zero crossovers and full range drivers just got the message of music across more fully.

And so was born Zu, to follow thru on this ethos. Sean started w cables, and then the first Druid nearly 20 years ago. It was tough going for the first few years, w zero help from print media and those dealers selling mega$ tower spkrs. But Sean is nothing if not tenacious, and the Druid started to sell on a factory direct sale or return basis.

Fast forward two decades and Zu have expanded to a couple of dozen crew, are proudly 100% made in USA, run a dozen strong line up of models, cables, special Zu modded Denon 103 carts, and love/loathe the sound, run some of the most entertaining rooms at shows.

Us Zu fanatics love what we hear, and have a close bond w the company. There's a real pride of ownership, and a feeling that the high efficiency full range driver principle ticks so many boxes, incl the key one of musicality.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
More like a counselling session;)

Hello, my name is Spiritofmusic and I’m a Zu owner.
Barry, more like "Hi, I'm a Zu owner, keep it quiet, but I used to be into SS, multi driver spkrs".

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Did you show your wife my Universums?
Wonder what she says to those... :oops:

Dear citizen of Liechtenstein,

She said they look like rhinos.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Dear citizen of Liechtenstein,

She said they look like rhinos.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Dear citizen of Bangkok,
Are rhinos in Thailand maybe something similar to cows in India? :D
I guess rather not :rolleyes:
MY wife loves the Unis :p

Enjoy your wonderful Gammas :cool:

Kindest regards,
Christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And so it goes. Thanks guys for derailing the thread before it's had a chance to get going.

Hopefully others will post something relevant.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And so it goes. Thanks guys for derailing the thread before it's had a chance to get going.

Hopefully others will post something relevant.

As the resident Zu champion, I would have asked you to write more about your system Marc, but that would derail the thread so let's stick to the Zus

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, you've never had any interest in the rest of my system, so stop being disingenuous.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe w newer members on the forum a thread on Zu might be of interest. Other than me, Caesar and SETDrugs, Zu ownership is pretty restricted.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I don't expect anyone to be that interested in my system, Ked. The purpose of the thread is to encapsulate my enthusiasm for the brand, why they remain compelling to me despite hearing many fantastic alternative spkrs over the year, and discuss full range/high sensitivity concepts, a different take on achieving musicality.

Ked, I'd have thought that as someone who has discovered the joys of musicality via Devore and Tannoy, the concept would appeal to you. Even just a little bit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing