Your Favorite Japanese Audio Equipment?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I d think the Lyra would be a step up from a second hand arrakis , probably not scale wise but a bit more refinement/ definition nontheless
I dont see the arrakis mentioned on the site anymore anyway
Yes, they have taken it off, but rumor has it still can make one to order. I do not know that for a fact at all...just whispers.

Meanwhile, I have heard from people who know both speakers that the Lyra's pure alacrity, purity, speed is superior to the Arrakis (including from an owner of the Arrakis now)...but the scale of the Arrakis is off-the-charts. As a result, the consensus from the people who are far more knowledgeable than I is that Lyra + dual subs (designed by Rockport) "should" surpass the performance of the Arrakis on all counts.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes, they have taken it off, but rumor has it still can make one to order. I do not know that for a fact at all...just whispers.

Meanwhile, I have heard from people who know both speakers that the Lyra's pure alacrity, purity, speed is superior to the Arrakis (including from an owner of the Arrakis now)...but the scale of the Arrakis is off-the-charts. As a result, the consensus from the people who are far more knowledgeable than I is that Lyra + dual subs (designed by Rockport) "should" surpass the performance of the Arrakis on all counts.

Yes sounds logical to me that rockport could still make an up to date version of the arrakis using the things they learned from making the Lyra .

You d probably the get the best of both worlds , i assume the Lyra is a more easy to sell / better product commercial wise then the arrakis which you sell only to connaiseurs .

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Just for the records :
I d have to make an honourable mention of the Apogee grands from henk vd hoeven , these sounded much better integrated then i thought .

Eldar

Jun 4, 2022
Norway
Techdas Air Force turntables. If I win the lottery, I´l get the Air Force I.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Direct drive TTs from the late 70s-80s. The first to master speed issues with DD. Still some of the best out there…

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Zanden is amazing, so is Hana (at least the umami), and i particularly like the Luxman 509x and the tube gear. The thing with Japanese designs is that the quality of the construction is second to none - you look inside and see everything in exactly it’s place - it is just beautifully made.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
TADL

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
American sound " best japanese brand" .
I know the TT has japanese engravings but whats the japanese connection ?

The title of the thread is “your favorite Japanese audio equipment.” These are mine. It’s a purely subjective exercise, not at all controversial. I lived with both of these turntables in my own system and got to know them very well, assembling and disassembling them and understanding how they work. The execution of the design and beauty of the finished work is at a very rare level, as is the sound quality.

The Japanese connection is that both of these turntables were designed and made in Japan, the former in a Japanese shipbuilding factory in the 1970s, the latter in a Japanese machine shop in the 1980s. These are not to be confused with my turntable which is the American Sound AS 2000, designed by David Karmeli in Utah and manufactured in an American factory.

That scraped finish on the AS1000 base is a metal working technique used for flattening steel, a very old and I think unique Japanese method. Is there any doubt that Micro Seiki is a Japanese brand?

What do you mean by Japanese engraving? Could you be specific?

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Denon DP100M i think best direct drive ever
Denon DP S1 cd transport
FR64s/66s really good today 40 years old respect
Stax x1t dac/Stax DA 80 mono amps:eek:
Old luxman tube gear
Goto horn drivers

antigrunge

Jan 17, 2022
Anything Wavac, to this day the best SET circuit. Zyx cartridges. Acoustic Revive for its whole range but particularly for its power treatment. And Shindo field coil speakers

Reactions: Adcc and DasguteOhr

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing