Which is better - XRCD or Sony K2 HD?

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Hi folks, I came across "Harry Belafonte At Carnegie Hall" which is available in 2 formats - XRCD2 and Sony K2 HD - in Elusivedisc.com. Both are priced the same. Can anybody tell me which format is better?

Guess Sony has adopted the proprietary JVC K2HD format.

Since TMK Sony owns all the RCA stuff, I suspect they farmed out the mastering?

My set says K2HD mastered by FLAIR, Victor Entertainment. Could now be under the Sony umbrella.

Since TMK Sony owns all the RCA stuff, I suspect they farmed out the mastering?

My set says K2HD mastered by FLAIR, Victor Entertainment. Could now be under the Sony umbrella.

I actually sat in on a couple of mastering sessions at Flair/JVC with Winston a couple years ago. They are pretty tight-lipped about the K2HD process. All I saw was generic boxes with cables going in/out. They use Pro Tools for mastering.

I've never quite understood the differences between the various options. XRCD, K2HD, SHM-CD......what gives?

I've never quite understood the differences between the various options. XRCD, K2HD, SHM-CD......what gives?

Well I can tell you that the SHM-CD and SHM-SACD are an actual "physical" difference. The others... XRCD, XRCD2, K2, K2HD, HDCD and others are proprietary encoding differences.

Well I can tell you that the SHM-CD and SHM-SACD are an actual "physical" difference. The others... XRCD, XRCD2, K2, K2HD, HDCD and others are proprietary encoding differences.

How are those SHM's physically different?

Any faves amongst the others? Or is it all just a question of good mastering?

SHM or Super High Material is an enhanced transparency polycarbonate material developed that is used in LCD screens. I've never heard any I liked and really can't compare them to the regular discs because most of the time the mastering is also different.

SHM or Super High Material is an enhanced transparency polycarbonate material developed that is used in LCD screens. I've never heard any I liked and really can't compare them to the regular discs because most of the time the mastering is also different.

Thanks Bruce for taking the time to answer my query!

I posted awhile ago a comparison between disc of the same mastering, SHM vs not SHM. All disc sound quite good but the gist was the better the playback h/w the less perceived benefit, that implies the more mediocre the playback h/w there did seem to be a perceived perk. Colleague and I found that amusing since its marketed diff. In the end that made sense to us as the better players should read better anyway. OTOH the better mastering techniques mentioned, certainly had a better benefit with better playback h/w. Nose to console appears to be where it is at.

Hi John, I have A/B'd SHM-CDs with regular CDs of the same album and have found that there is increased transparency, more retrieval of inner detail thus making my listening experience a bit more enjoyable.

What about Ultra HD 32 Bit Master CD? Or this a topic for another thread?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing