What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

i am about to install a new EMT TSD15 cartridge once I get my K/C preamp, very curious about the outcome.

i am about to install a new EMT TSD15 cartridge once I get my K/C preamp, very curious about the outcome.

Congratulations. I have constantly had TSD15s in my system for almost 20 years. In my experience they always perform best correctly loaded with a step up transformer. That is the way EMT used them in their systems as well.If not used in that way they can sound a little harsh.

I am using FR-7f, FR-1 mk3f on FR-66s andFR-64s arms on a Micro RX-5000.

I just sold my Lyra Skala to fund a Miyabi MCA which I am looking forward to receive and mount later this week.

Congratulations. I have constantly had TSD15s in my system for almost 20 years. In my experience they always perform best correctly loaded with a step up transformer. That is the way EMT used them in their systems as well.If not used in that way they can sound a little harsh.

Thanks jdza, I can follow that route since the K/C preamp willnhave both MM and MC capabilities, is the Auditorium step-up a good choice for the TSD15?

Reactions: Abolive
I just sold my Lyra Skala to fund a Miyabi MCA which I am looking forward to receive and mount later this week.

Is that the special order Miyabi?

I am now using two relatively new to me cartridges. I recently bought an Allaerts MC1B from a friend who upgraded to the next model up in the Allaerts line. It is now mounted on my Breuer 8C MKII. A very good combo since the Breuer is so picky about what will work with it.

On my TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm I now have an Ortofon MC Windfeld.

Attachments

• Ortofon MC Windfe.jpg
    Ortofon MC Windfe.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 798
have been using a Panasonic strain gauge cart directly into a custom preamp using 6BQ7 single tube in a grado modded tonearm,have not found anything as real or alive sounding,tried all sorts of mc and mm cartridges,always going back to the strain gauge!!!

I am currently reviewing/using the Phasetech/Phasemation P-1G. It's a holodeck of cartridge with outstanding leading edge definition and excellent body. I'm a Miyabi guy and this is in the same zone but quite a bit faster and ohh my, so believable. It's about 4000 hard earned dollars. LOMC. Full video review coming.

I am currently reviewing/using the Phasetech/Phasemation P-1G. It's a holodeck of cartridge with outstanding leading edge definition and excellent body. I'm a Miyabi guy and this is in the same zone but quite a bit faster and ohh my, so believable. It's about 4000 hard earned dollars. LOMC. Full video review coming.

I have often wondered how the Phasetech cartridges that are rather popular in what seems to be only in Japan - compares to other more widely used cartridges in US such as Ortofon A90. Their lower model P-3G (~$800) I believe had shown as very high choice (top three) in Japanese audio publication, Stereo Sound, few years ago even compared to other highend mega bucks cartridges from Europe.

Will look for your review.

I've been using the Dynavector XV-1s for the last two years but really like the Lyra Delos i have on the arm now. Think it sounds nicer in my current system. Going to sell the XV-1s and put the $$$ towards some table upgrades, and probably make a move up the Lyra line.

Takeda Miyabi MCA now in place and playing

Mounted this afternoon.

Takeda Miyabi MCA with Q4 stylus = EXPLOSIVE!:D

IMGP1511.jpg

Why was this thread started by a non-vinyl user??

This has been a great read.

I'm using two cartridges at the moment, and they are very similar. I took the pictures playing a white vinyl album so that it is easier to see the details of the cartridges.

The first is a Micro-Magic Virus (modified) on a Funk Firm Saffire II turntable and the Funk FX.r arm. The Micro-Magic Virus is a modified Denon 103 with the body stripped off, and mounted inside a machined aluminum body. It is extremely heavy (although not as heavy as the Micro-Magic Diamond which I also have but is too heavy for the Funk arm) and so I run it using the Michell Techno-Weight. This one has been further modified with a longer ruby cantilever and Peter Lederman's Optimized Contour stylus. SRA is slightly forward of vertical (VTA slightly high - about +1.5mm). This seems to work better on these cartridges.

View attachment 2924

The second is a Soundsmith Gold (modified) on a Roksan Xerses 20+ turntable and the Roksan Artemiz arm. The Soundsmith Gold is also a Denon 103 - but with a wood body, and on this one an aluminum top plate instead of a standard bronze. This one is further modified from the Gold with lower compliance and a shortened cantilever. SRA is almost perfectly vertical.

View attachment 2923

Other cartridges I've owned for long periods - Lyra Parnassus, Lyra Clavis da Capo, Van den Hul Grasshopper, Sumiko Blue Point, Audio Technica OC9, Decca London.

Cool thread with some awesome cartridges. :cool:

* I use several AudioTechnica cartridges myself; nothing worth mentioning really.

P.S. Steve ain't a vinyl user? :( ... Then he's not a 'groovy' Doc. :eek: :p ;)

Yes it was.

The first "white" White album I remember was the German direct metal master version. Although it was kind of cool, the recording quality kind of sucked due to some heavy hands on the EQ knobs. The bass was way too boomy for my tastes. I sold it to someone else who thought it was cooler than I did.

More than 20 years ago I bought an EMT cartridge. It was in use for almost 10 years. Finally the suspension became so stiff that I stopped using it. The maid then broke the cantilever and the cart was put in the trash. Somehow it landed in an old fertiliser bag in the tool shed. The other day I found it it send it as a joke to Blue Angel cartridge builder Andre Hanekom.

emtrat2.jpg

emtrat.jpg

Never one to not top a joke Andre returned these pictures of the same cartridge!

emtcart2.jpg

emtpost.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing