What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

Most of these cartridges are unfortunately out of my league, but since you guys seem to have a significant amount of knowledge on this issue, I wonder if I might ask your opinion about something. I've always been a huge fan of Grados offerings, and have owned several including the Ref Platinum. I would love to try a Reference Sonato, but the Ortofon 2M Black is also grabbing my attention. Is there one you prefer? And if so, why?

yeah you´re right to read it that way It was easy to misunderstand; I wrote "as well", incorrectly put/badly phrased
I know the Decca is a MM cartridge and by rattly I mean the mechanical sound that originated from the "string suspended" needle/combined cantilever assy
typical british;
much like Lucas car electrics; "the company that invented darkness"
smart principles of engineering, poorly executed
best
Leif

Alright boys and girls, I have a question for you. There is someone in the Netherlands who sells new Van den Hul Colibri XGP cartridges for around $2500. Does anyone know of a better value/better sounding cartridge that can be bought for $2500 or less? MikeL has written about these cartridges several times in both their glories and their ability to drive you wacky if you let them. If anyone knows of a better sounding MC cartridge than the XGP for the same price, I would love to know. If you are someone who has contacts and wants to tell me about great cartridges at great prices, please PM me.

If I am not mistaken the London Deccas are neither MM nor MC, they are MIs.

Alright boys and girls, I have a question for you. There is someone in the Netherlands who sells new Van den Hul Colibri XGP cartridges for around $2500. Does anyone know of a better value/better sounding cartridge that can be bought for $2500 or less? MikeL has written about these cartridges several times in both their glories and their ability to drive you wacky if you let them. If anyone knows of a better sounding MC cartridge than the XGP for the same price, I would love to know. If you are someone who has contacts and wants to tell me about great cartridges at great prices, please PM me.

I'm hoping the Benz-Micro SLR Gullwing is that cart. Discounted they can be had for $2,500.00

Please let us know what you think of it. I have been very happy with my Glider SL so I know that Benz designs and builds good cartridges. I just did some quick calculations and it looks like the Benz SLR Gullwing with my SME 312s arm would have a resonance of around 7.95 Hz which is on the low side.

i think you need to pull the trigger big boy. you have a Colibri itch you need to scratch. are you man enough for it?

we'll find out.:)

If I am not mistaken the London Deccas are neither MM nor MC, they are MIs.

You are not mistaken. Neither does London Decca bear any responsibility for Lucas.
London Decca Gold and Jubilee do produce great music, though.

Who is Lucas?

Who is Lucas?

Ever put your car in reverse and the horn sounded ?That's Lucas. Switch on the windscreen wipers in a rainstorm and the sunroof opens? That's Lucas. Drive through the desert at night and all lights fail? That's Lucas.

Lucas was the single most important company causing the death of the British Motor Industry and indeed the Empire.Supplier of innovative, illogically designed and exceptionally unreliable electrical systems to the entire British motor industry. From the horrible flimsy switches in all Jaguars to the 1 candlelight headlamps fitted to high speed sportscars.

Ever put your car in reverse and the horn sounded ?That's Lucas. Switch on the windscreen wipers in a rainstorm and the sunroof opens? That's Lucas. Drive through the desert at night and all lights fail? That's Lucas.

Lucas was the single most important company causing the death of the British Motor Industry and indeed the Empire.Supplier of innovative, illogically designed and exceptionally unreliable electrical systems to the entire British motor industry. From the horrible flimsy switches in all Jaguars to the 1 candlelight headlamps fitted to high speed sportscars.

my first 6 cars were;

59' or 61'TR3b (can't remember the exact year)
63' MGB
57' MGA
61' Austin Healy 100-6
64' MGB
66 XKE 4.2 roadster

i owned all those between 1969 and 1973.

all with Lucas electrics.....which were a literal joke.

bad joke---why do the British drink warm beer?
answer--they use Lucas refridgerators.

Get it when you mention Jaguars :)

my first 6 cars were;

63' MGB
57' MGA
61' Austin Healy 100-6
64' MGB
66 XKE 4.2 roadster

LOL.....good one Mike!

Learn something new everyday :)

I have always heard of the horror stories of the wiring in British cars, but I didn't know that it was all tied to a single supplier!

my first 6 cars were;

63' MGB
57' MGA
61' Austin Healy 100-6
64' MGB
66 XKE 4.2 roadster

HI Mike,
Either you truly love British sports cars of you are a slow learner. You are in the thrall of the Prince of Darkness.

Sparky

HI Mike,
Either you truly love British sports cars of you are a slow learner. You are in the thrall of the Prince of Darkness.

Sparky

you might notice that was 40 years ago. i was going to college and these cars were cheap. except for the Jag all the rest cost me around $500 each. and the Jag only cost me $1600.

HI Mike,
You definitely had some cars that I admired from afar. The XKE - well, what can I say! I've only had one experience with the Brits. I had a 1957 TR-3. It the was the first year for the 3. It actually had the 2 body (narrow air intake) but with the 3 running gear. I had no electrical failures. All the things that could be burned out were already burned out. It was a fun car as long as it didn't rain. Since I was in Houston at the time a no rain situation was asking for a lot.

Sparky

My years tooling about Europe in an XKE II 4.2 from 1970 were mechanically uneventful (beyond the sheer joy), but electrically interesting, thanks to Lucas. The car was in near NOS-condition, having been in a museum before I got it, and we gave it a thorough check-out before I started using it. But there would be electrical events - the most memorable being a complete electrical failure at a busy intersection, after a light drizzle. A fault that could not be analyzed, no matter how much we tried - and therefore it became Russian roulette waiting for it to possibly happen again when I drove about.

Ah, Lucas. The memories. But I find little reason to believe that London Decca picked Lucas demonics as their guiding light, or broken beacon.

There are many Lucas jokes on the net.

fusereplacement.jpg

http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing