What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

Well don't know about the Miyabi set up but the Benz is like the Miyajima; tricky because the stylus is under the big cartridge body. It's tough to get a true orthogonal look at the stylus on the protractor. Took 3 or 4 sessions to get the Benz set up spot on. (I use the tried and true rule that the first f-bomb means it time to stop and try another day :eek:.) Well worth the effort, IMO.

Last edited:
Use an Ortofon 2M Blue on my Linn Sondek. It's a good match for my Aerial 6's which have a sightly warm top end.

I'm in love with my recently acquired Ortofon A90. It replaced my Shelter Harmony (Which I'm keeping for a second arm). My system is very neutral so the A90 is a great match. Comparing the Shelter with the A90, I find the Shelter to have a warmer balance with treble that is not as extended or airy as the Ortofon. Still love that cart though...just a different flavor of sound. The Ortofon does't seem to do any flavoring. It just get's out of the way of the music and produces it with stunning detail, accuracy and clarity. It is very musical and involving on my system. :cool:

Enjoying new Lyra Kleos. It replaced a Koetsu Black so no surprise there. Kleos is breaking in nicely. I will experiment with different alignments this weekend. I rarely listen to digital now.

What arm and table are you using Dan?

Enjoying new Lyra Kleos. It replaced a Koetsu Black so no surprise there. Kleos is breaking in nicely. I will experiment with different alignments this weekend. I rarely listen to digital now.

Nice to hear. Hope you can share with us the differences between the Black and the Kleos.

I'm using the Kleos on a rega P9/RB1000. I have added a 2 mm spacer. I'm listening to vinyl for 90% of my listening.

I'm using Clearaudio Goldfinger V2 Diamond and Koetsu Urushi Vermillion.

Lyra Argo(i) on VPI Scoutmaster. Great sound. May look into Delos or Kleos next.

I'm currently using the new Benz Ruby ZH, a zebra wood bodied moving coil on my Linn LP12 with the Naim ARO tone arm. A beautiful cartridge that is very well balanced across the frequency range, offering wonderful harmonic structures of stringed instruments, piano, and the human voice. While having plenty of dynamics and speed, this cartridge comes across as being very natual sounding with a sense of ease.

anybody using the Rowland Complement cantileverless IKEDA origin cartridge?
in my opinion a fantastic contender for worlds best
incredibly dynamic and tight
pity it didn´t do it´s best in my Airtangent, so I sold it (regrettably so!)
best
Leif

anybody using the Rowland Complement cantileverless IKEDA origin cartridge?
in my opinion a fantastic contender for worlds best
incredibly dynamic and tight
pity it didn´t do it´s best in my Airtangent, so I sold it (regrettably so!)
best
Leif

I can't remember. Wasn't the Ikeda very high mass and low compliance (not to mention you needed the Hubble telescope to see the cantilever :( ). So expect that Leif couldn't come up with an arm tube to match the Ikeda? Probably the Ikeda works best in his arm or an FR64S?

HI All,
Wow, this thread has been a pleasure to read. I'm impressed by the variety of cartridges mentioned, the knowledge and experience of the owners, the cost of many of these systems, and the quality, in general, of the arms and turntables. I have stated in the past that we are living in the Golden Age of analog reproduction and this thread supports this view.

I'm going to first give my system context. I wish everyone had done this. Tone Arms: Eminent Technology ET2.5, Graham 2.2 Deluxe. Turntables: Sota Nova, Oracle Delphi V, Thorens TD125 Mk1. Phono preamp: Aesthetix Rhea. The remainder of my electronics are ARC. Speakers are Martin Logan CLS II esl's with dual biamped subwoofers.

I am currently using the Lyra Skala on one ET2.5. The other ET2.5 has a Monster Sigma Genesis 2000. The Graham has the Audio Technica OC9/2 on the TD125.

I have used many MC's over the years. The only one that has really stuck is the Monster. The Lyra Skala is relatively new replacing a Clearaudio Discovery. The Skala is the best cartridge I have used. The Discovery was something of a disappointment. Good but not great. The Skala outdistances it in most every way and they cost about the same.

The OC9/2 was the biggest surprise. This is a good cartridge that does everything well. It does not elevate to great but for $500 it is a worthy cartridge that needs to make no apologies for its humble place in the cost category.

I must wax poetic about the Skala. In almost every way it is outstanding. It does all the required things well such as tracking, frequency response, and separation-the things that can be written on a spec sheet. The sound fits my tastes to a tee. My sonic priorities place detail, resolution, and imaging at the top of the list. But the Skala does much more. Excellent bass, outstanding dynamics, realistic midrange, very resolving without edge-just natural. I find this cartridge to be very honest. It's not warm, not edgy, not cold, has tremendous dynamics and its sound staging is three dimensional. Like most great hi fi gear, it has little signature to write about. I have never heard this cartridge mistrack. The Skala is not in the Koetsu camp. Of course, this is not a quality judgment. It simply is a statement about my taste in sound. I've never admired Koetsu. Too colored in spite of its wonderful strengths.

I think it is important to live with a piece of gear for a while before making public pronouncements. Hearing something at a show is not a fair way to judge. Too many times it is wrong.

I would love to hear other top end cartridges but I can only afford what I have. Living out here in the wilds of New Mexico, there are few opportunities to hear the best cartridges. But the chile is great!!

Sparky

Last edited:
I can't remember. Wasn't the Ikeda very high mass and low compliance (not to mention you needed the Hubble telescope to see the cantilever :( ). So expect that Leif couldn't come up with an arm tube to match the Ikeda? Probably the Ikeda works best in his arm or an FR64S?
yes you´re right and it sounded excellent in the triplanar, but it wasn´t possible to get a good match in the airtangent which doesn´t even have a damper
just one of those things I regret selling
best
Leif

yes you´re right and it sounded excellent in the triplanar, but it wasn´t possible to get a good match in the airtangent which doesn´t even have a damper
just one of those things I regret selling
best
Leif

Yes I'm curious too because Bill Demarrs (he on WBF) is importing the Ikeda arm (and assume also cartridge) into this country. Would be interesting to hear them!

I think The Complement was a modified 9R with small neoprene balls with air in them,that acted as a pneumatic suspension
one could easily see those small white suckers!
It´s by far the fastest, tightest and most dynamic of all I´ve heard in 30+ years and the bass extension was sick
it plowed through Sheffield Lab Romeo and Juliet with flying colors and those brass sections never sounded as good again!
the only other cartridge I´ve had with something close in speed was the Stax Elecret cartridge, but it had a tendency of picking up Radio Moskva, which was cool for a day or two....he-he
best
Leif

Last edited:
I know the Decca´s and they can be very dynamic ,but rather rattly compared to the much more refined Ikeda, which is a mc as well
I´m not sure I approve of the term CD like large scale dynamics; in my world cd dynamics are inferior to LP dynamics
just my 2 cents...
best
lLeif

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing