What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

After fooling arround with a Shure 15 and Jico SAS I decided for something entirely different - at least for the next few days :):

View attachment 130016

Now playing "Ascenseur pour l' échafaud" (Miles Davis)
Such a great album…love the part in Dinner at the Motel where Miles loses a bit of lip skin, creating a rather curious musical artifact…

Last edited:
I have a friend who just bought an AT-VM95SH - by all online accounts it’s supposed to be a great value (I haven’t heard it yet). I was a little surprised, though, when he said that it was “as good as any $20,000 cartridge”. I’m happy that he’s so pleased with his analog rig, but having never tried one I really had nothing to say in response. As long as folks are happy with their choice, so be it. I may pick one up just to see how it sounds in my system.

Reactions: mtemur
I have a friend who just bought an AT-VM95SH - by all online accounts it’s supposed to be a great value (I haven’t heard it yet). I was a little surprised, though, when he said that it was “as good as any $20,000 cartridge”. I’m happy that he’s so pleased with his analog rig, but having never tried one I really had nothing to say in response. As long as folks are happy with their choice, so be it. I may pick one up just to see how it sounds in my system.
I recommended this cartridge to a friend and he bought 2 or 3 of them. I’m not a fan of Shibata stylus but this cartridge sounds very good. Maybe the best among sub $500 cartridges. Or maybe there are better and cheaper alternatives. I don’t know but I do know this one sounds good.

Reactions: tony22
A good reason to try it! But... $20,000 good? :oops:

You could ask him which $20,000 cartridges he’s heard and in what context.

I currently have a Goldring 1042 and a Transfiguration Proteus rebuilt by Ana Mighty Sound with a Gyger S stylus (my choice) so the same profile. The comparison is interesting. My two decks are an Artemis SA-1 and a Lenco L75 with PTP Audio bearing and mounting plates on a home made bamboo laminate plinth (the Artemis is also bamboo but looks to be bespoke rather than intended for a countertop).
The 1042 is very enjoyable and it’s hard to imaging where it could be bettered, until I listen to the Proteus where music gains more nuance, dynamics and scale but I don’t think it becomes more engaging. I’ve swapped arm/cartridge between decks and the Lenco’s slightly better drive is evident with both, as is the Artemis’ lower noise floor. I’ll probably try my mono wired Decca on the Korf next and leave the Proteus in play on the Aro.

IMG_1234.jpeg

There is a lot of love for the AT-VM95 generator around, just as there was for its predecessor the AT95. I would recommend a RigB9 body for it for greater precision.
The VM500/700 generator is better than the AT-VM95 again but tastes vary.
I would not be surprised if there are $20000 cartridges playing as well as the AT-VM95 with the SH or ML stylus because again tastes vary.

You could ask him which $20,000 cartridges he’s heard and in what context.
;) As we're both in the same clubs and go to the same shows, I'm guessing if he's heard it, I've heard it. :D We've heard the Van den Hul Grand Cru Elite, the Grail, a Goldfinger Statement, the latest DS Audio, one or two other carts in that range. To the general points made, it's context and a bit of subjective assessment. If everybody thought the same cart was the best for them on their table(s), we'd only ever have to buy one cart. I think I have eight now! :):):)

Reactions: Mendel
My Sussurro MkII ES Gold arrived today. My Sussurro MkII and Paua MkII ES are up for sale. PM if interested.

Reactions: aangen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing