What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

rando

Sep 22, 2019

Reactions: Manesp2

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The violin of Josef Suk is warm and silk-like :

20200215_174910~2.jpg

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Concertos pour alto
Gérard Caussé, Les Solistes de Montpellier-Moscou

Viola concertos by Franz Anton Hoffmeister, Johann Nepomuk Hummel, Joseph Schubert and Carl Maria von Weber

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Believably a lithe and athletic performance on the first album. Disc two on the following album is taken from latter stages of the live Honens contest winning performance featuring multiple collaborators showing the piano in best light. Starting off with Isabel Bayrakdarian singing two more works by Viardot.

Reactions: accwai

Abbinormal

Feb 15, 2020
This is an outstanding recording of Elgar's Cello Concerto in E minor, Op.85 by a truly gifted artist. The album also contains performances of Astor Piazzolla's Libertango and Oblivion as arranged by the artist for Cello and Orchestra and Cello Concerto by Bruce Wolosoff. This composition was written by Wolosoff specifically for Ms. Sant' Ambrogio. The performance of the Elgar piece in particular is a tour de force. Highly recommended.

72752155_10220612841571416_3138373847758143488_o.jpg

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Arvo Pärt: Symphony No. 4
Los Angeles Philharmonic, Esa-Pekka Salonen, Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir, Tõnu Kaljuste

Reactions: rando

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
ERC mono reissue
. ERC047_large.jpg

Reactions: rando

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Britten, Krenek, Doráti: oboe - solo and accompanied
Helén Jahren, Elisabeth Westenholz

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Britten, Krenek, Doráti: oboe - solo and accompanied
Helén Jahren, Elisabeth Westenholz

At least for me your linked cover art from AllMusic is not being displayed since roughly two weeks ago. On the odd occasion when I scroll upwards days later it will be there.

Your album above has frustrated me for at least a few years, including an attempted listen moments ago. Arrived at the decision it must be her R E E D(s) or the instrument itself that turn me away in the first few notes of Britten's 'Temporal Variations.'

Manesp2

Dec 19, 2019
Concertos pour alto
Gérard Caussé, Les Solistes de Montpellier-Moscou

Viola concertos by Franz Anton Hoffmeister, Johann Nepomuk Hummel, Joseph Schubert and Carl Maria von Weber

Note to self: more Hoffmeister.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
That Sant'Ambrogio Elgar album is extraordinary! I love that piece, and this one really hits the spot for me. It's on Qobuz (hi-res).

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Bloch: Suites for Solo Cello
Dallapiccola: Ciaccona, Intermezzo e Adagio
Ligeti: Sonata for Solo Cello

Natalie Clein

At least for me your linked cover art from AllMusic is not being displayed since roughly two weeks ago. On the odd occasion when I scroll upwards days later it will be there.

Yes, this happens on my tablet. Computer based browsers work fine though. Might have something to do with allmusic fiddling with their Cross-Origin Resource Sharing configuration. But those images also carry link to the corresponding album entry on allmusic, so I figure using their album images here is fair game. Just for today, I have sourced the image above from Amazon. The linked album entry is still on allmusic and AWS object store is partly charged by traffic. So in a way this isn't fair to Amazon retail. Another possibility would be to copy the images to this site. Don't like the copyrights implication though...
Your album above has frustrated me for at least a few years, including an attempted listen moments ago. Arrived at the decision it must be her R E E D(s) or the instrument itself that turn me away in the first few notes of Britten's 'Temporal Variations.'
I would assume you mean the first few notes in the Theme movement. What about them turns you away? Any comment on the 5th Metamorphoses where the color switches back and forth? I'm curious about any oboe recording that has the same breadth or color, pitch and dynamics that you're happy with. Any suggestions?
Note to self: more Hoffmeister.
Like this?

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ntly-listening-to-classical.19654/post-622805

His symphonies from the Chandos Contempories of Mozart series is very good too:

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN 10351

I've been posting entries from this series here for a while. They're uniformly good. Don't have this particular one though. Will make a note to get it soon...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing