What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Pure Cello
Vincent Bélanger

Autographed CD. From Audio Note UK's Audio Note Music label. Virtuosic solo cello works by J.S. Bach, Friedrich Wilhelm Grützmacher, Max Reger and Gaspar Cassadó.

Is this a different one? Certainly sounds promising...

Nope, they aren't the same. Yours is rather mainstream HIP. Don't forget Sigiswald Kuijken is mainly a violinist and shoulder-cello handles quite like a violin. The strange thing about yours is the cello suites spread across 3 CDs. Right away there is something funny about the tempo. Closer look shows that some of the movements are much longer than an average version. So the speed is a little idiosyncratic in some places.

The other thing is it follows the usual HIP practices of using a separate violoncello piccolo for suite #6. In modern edition scores, high pitch sections are shown in tenor clef and there are lots of them. Comparing recordings done with 5 string cello to those forced onto regular 4 string cello shows the former to have much more open and relaxed tone in those high pitch sections. But in this case, the modern 5 string cello used sounds rather different from the cello used in other suites. On the other hand, all shoulder-cellos in use now are modern design that's reconfigurable between 4 and 5 strings. So the Sigiswald Kuijken recording uses the same cello body everywhere yet a high E string is in suite #6. Neat trick eh?

The thing about Bach cello suites is people have been trying it on tons of different instruments. Cello, viola, double bass, viola da gamba, lute etc. Viola da gamba is really interesting as it has very different sonority from cello. But tuning is fundamentally different so fingering is seriously messed up. As a result, viol version of the Bach cello suites is a massive undertaking. Paolo Pandolfo's version is excellent here:

And really clever cover art too :)

Last edited:

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Really gorgeous recording/playing - -

Jacques Morel (? 1680 - ? 1740): Ier Livre de Pieces de Violle avec une Chaconne en trio (1709)

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Absolutely stunning.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

Manesp

Oct 25, 2018
Oh to see have seen ...Nijinsky as Petrushka... One can dream ... This will do ... For today only ... Maybe ... Dropping the needle now ... Punch away Stravinsky...

image.jpeg

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

Manesp

Oct 25, 2018
Pure Cello
Vincent Bélanger

Autographed CD. From Audio Note UK's Audio Note Music label. Virtuosic solo cello works by J.S. Bach, Friedrich Wilhelm Grützmacher, Max Reger and Gaspar Cassadó.

Nope, they aren't the same. Yours is rather mainstream HIP. Don't forget Sigiswald Kuijken is mainly a violinist and shoulder-cello handles quite like a violin. The strange thing about yours is the cello suites spread across 3 CDs. Right away there is something funny about the tempo. Closer look shows that some of the movements are much longer than an average version. So the speed is a little idiosyncratic in some places.

The other thing is it follows the usual HIP practices of using a separate violoncello piccolo for suite #6. In modern edition scores, high pitch sections are shown in tenor clef and there are lots of them. Comparing recordings done with 5 string cello to those forced onto regular 4 string cello shows the former to have much more open and relaxed tone in those high pitch sections. But in this case, the modern 5 string cello used sounds rather different from the cello used in other suites. On the other hand, all shoulder-cellos in use now are modern design that's reconfigurable between 4 and 5 strings. So the Sigiswald Kuijken recording uses the same cello body everywhere yet a high E string is in suite #6. Neat trick eh?

The thing about Bach cello suites is people have been trying it on tons of different instruments. Cello, viola, double bass, viola da gamba, lute etc. Viola da gamba is really interesting as it has very different sonority from cello. But tuning is fundamentally different so fingering is seriously messed up. As a result, viol version of the Bach cello suites is a massive undertaking. Paolo Pandolfo's version is excellent here:

Love the cover...

Manesp

Oct 25, 2018
Surprisingly low-key performances, especially by Ricci, and decent but not great sound. All in all, not an essential purchase.

The cover says it all ... Betcha Warhol or even the great Alex Colville would have coveted this precious piece

rando

Sep 22, 2019
This 4 disc set was recorded live in multiple venues by MPR/American Public Media throughout January of 2009. Disc 1 is comprised of works by Michael Tippett, Ralph Vaughan Williams, and Bela Bartók undertaken together by the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra and Chamber Orchestra of Europe with Douglas Boyd conducting across January 9th and 10th at the Ordway Music Theater.

Best $2 purchase in a few weeks.

SPCO ICOF.jpg

Last edited:

Manesp

Oct 25, 2018
Pure Cello
Vincent Bélanger

Beyond beautiful cover art ... More than words can capture music ...

Reactions: NorthStar

Manesp

Oct 25, 2018
Scarlatti: Sonatas, Kk 428—448
Scott Ross

I listen ...and learn ... I hope...( one can hope, right?) ...to the attached Virgin Classics 2X CD ...weekly...I worship this remarkable double CD ...and now ...you ...(thank you btw ...) have tossed my eyes and ears towards what appears to be a powerful 34 CD set of the piano might of the mystical Domenico Scarlatti... I will secure your posted piece ...have a safe and wonderful evening Accwai.

My Domenico Scarlatti piano lesson ...recommended to me by a strong friend from Sorrento, Italy ...

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    773.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: rando and NorthStar

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Very nice.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Luigi Boccherini: Symphonies, Vol. 1
Neues Berliner Kammerorchester, Michael Erxleben

Beyond beautiful cover art ... More than words can capture music ...
Assuming you mean the Pandolfo Bach, yes. Very interesting graphics work. For a long time I was assuming it to be painting of a rose, but closer look shows otherwise. Now speaking of rose, being a photo person, this is my own attempt:

I listen ...and learn ... I hope...( one can hope, right?) ...to the attached Virgin Classics 2X CD ...weekly...I worship this remarkable double CD ...and now ...you ...(thank you btw ...) have tossed my eyes and ears towards what appears to be a powerful 34 CD set of the piano might of the mystical Domenico Scarlatti... I will secure your posted piece ...have a safe and wonderful evening Accwai.
Thanks! It's been a rather hectic weekend... In any case, the thing about the Scarlatti sonatas is they cover extremely broad range of forms and styles. It's rather difficult to appreciate the breadth and depth without sampling a very large portion of the sonatas. Scott Ross was the first one to do the whole thing. Back then people believed it won't be done ever again. And they were completely wrong, there are many complete sets on harpsichord and piano now, and fortepiano too if I recall. And they don't all saying the same thing. For example, K.416 can turn from this:

to this:

then to this:

Wow... After all these years, the Scott Ross box is still the overall simplest way to go through all Scarlatti sonatas in a reasonably authentic way. Just my personal opinion of course.
Very nice.
Bach Oboe Concertos... Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no surviving score for any Bach oboe concerto right? The album page on the Berlin Classics website says
[...] The musicians have recorded Bach's three oboe concertos: BWV 1059, 1053r and 1055 as well as [...]
But all of them, not just 1053, are listed as reconstructions (BWV 10xxR) in Rilling's Restored Oboe Concerti in the Hänssler Edition Bachakademie complete Bach set:

In fact, the most common Bach oboe concerto being performed now is BWV1060(R), which is mixed into many Bach violin concertos albums. And that one isn't in the Moinet album. Hmm...

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Despite having taken a photo of the cover I did a quick search for Viveza. It turned up a few videos of audiophile equipment demos of a different album ("Tango, Tango") reissued as an SACD. Following some fine performances of classical miniatures this disc wrapped up with the Gade "Jalousie" and two Piazolla tracks that whetted my desire to track down the SACD.

CRW_2254.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing