What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

do you have a particular one you would recommend above the others? (BTW, i am thinking about Tokyo Quartet Beethoven Quartets)

Do you mean which one of Beethoven's? I like all of them, but especially the "Rasumovsky" and "late" quartets.

OT - how is the speaker hunt coming along John?

It hasn't started! After switching to a tube amp and moving my speakers farther from the rear wall, I'm very happy with the sound. Not that a nice big pair of Magico, Wilson, Focal, Sonus Faber, or YG speakers wouldn't be nice, though! Maybe someday.

It hasn't started! After switching to a tube amp and moving my speakers farther from the rear wall, I'm very happy with the sound. Not that a nice big pair of Magico, Wilson, Focal, Sonus Faber, or YG speakers wouldn't be nice, though! Maybe someday.

Yup - amazing what a little system synergy does: excellent to hear. Save the money and save the stress.

Listening to:

R-5244762-1388601541-1173.jpeg.jpg

Moravec - Connoisseur CS 2019;

Track listing
A1 - Barcarolle in F sharp major 9:30
A2 - Étude in C? minor 6:33
A3 - Mazurka in C sharp minor 5:02
B1 - Mazurka No. 3 in C sharp minor 1:46
B2 - Mazurka in A minor 3:06
B3 - Mazurka No. 15 in C Major 2:15
B4 - Mazurka No. 4 in A minor 4:44
B5 - Scherzo No. 1 in B minor 10:10

Superb playing - poetic and subtle interpretation of Chopin, generous with great emotion. Superb sonics as well. Among the finest of the Chopins.

Moravec Chopin Nocturnes is fantastic and possibly our favorite Chopin CD of the (30?) that we have...have you heard it? You may wish to try.

Listening to:

View attachment 26360

Moravec - Connoisseur CS 2019;

Track listing
A1 - Barcarolle in F sharp major 9:30
A2 - Étude in C? minor 6:33
A3 - Mazurka in C sharp minor 5:02
B1 - Mazurka No. 3 in C sharp minor 1:46
B2 - Mazurka in A minor 3:06
B3 - Mazurka No. 15 in C Major 2:15
B4 - Mazurka No. 4 in A minor 4:44
B5 - Scherzo No. 1 in B minor 10:10

Superb playing - poetic and subtle interpretation of Chopin, generous with great emotion. Superb sonics as well. Among the finest of the Chopins.

51nYNtodKNL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

A few thoughts:

This disc has excellent sonics. Maybe the best recorded/engineered Mahler 3 on record. To me, that's saying something, because there are many well recorded Mahler thirds. All of the inner detail in this symphony is readily apparent. Micro dynamics are captured beautifully. As Kal said, the sound is glorious!

For me, I have to take this reading in two parts. First three movements, and the last three. The last three movements are really good. I think this is, because they play more into Abbado's wheel house. Anna Larsson is outstanding in O Mensch, and the orchestral accompaniment is almost perfect. The choir for Bim Bam is one of the best on record; their enunciation is very clear. The finale, and counterweight to the first movement, was paced very well and builds dynamically just like it should. I do tend to think Abbado likes to milk the endings. Generally, he's very straight with the tempos, this works for the final half of this symphony, but I don't feel it does for the first half.

To me, the first 3 movements, don't quite work as well. They are too straight, not enough Vienna, or Schwung, if you'd like to call it that. The A/B sections of the first movement sound as if they almost come from different works. The second movement has no sense of urgency, and the Scherzo does not remind me of chattering and frolicking animals. It really come across as Mahler 3 'Concerto for Orchestra', which is a valid interpretation of work, but doesn't really work for me. I also feel as if he can't decide if he wants subtle tempos, or is trying to unify. Both work, but you must commit!

One last thing. This orchestra from the Lucerne Festival is really good, maybe the best strings I have ever heard. I felt like their winds/brass were to sectional though. You can tell they are not as cohesive as an orchestra the plays together day in and day out. Again, these are only my opinions, please take them with a grain of salt.

Moravec Chopin Nocturnes is fantastic and possibly our favorite Chopin CD of the (30?) that we have...have you heard it? You may wish to try.

Yes. I have all of Moravec's CD's and most of his LP's. Love his Chopin. :D

The recent murder of Kholodenko's young children by his estranged wife certainly adds a layer of terrible sadness to this recording. He plays both concertos with sweeping power, and the live performances are clearly captured in excellent SACD audio. The new issue of Gramophone gives it a rave review.

816EFoyaQOL._SX522_.jpg

Yes. I have all of Moravec's CD's and most of his LP's. Love his Chopin. :D

Agree. Moravec and Chopin is a very special combination. What other Moravec works do you recommend?

Agree. Moravec and Chopin is a very special combination. What other Moravec works do you recommend?
250177207457.jpg
Beethoven #23 and anything else he did for Connoisseur Society and, later, for VAI and Supraphon.
See if you can find a 45rpm copy.

This is such a powerful piece. For me, Corigliano is a perfect contemporary composer: his music is obviously "modern," but he doesn't altogether abandon melody. Superb playing and sound (it's an SACD)--more concert hall-like than Slatkin's. Bach's Chaconne might seem like an odd discmate, but the 3rd movement of the Symphony is a chaconne, so I guess it makes sense.

51JxYdujnhL.jpg

@ Kal - thank you so much for steering me years ago now to Moravec (over at AA). I continue to collect him, and have not been disappointed.

Listening to:

il_570xN.557588773_5lvw.jpg

Very prettily done indeed.

"The Nonesuch disk offers Schumann's ''Kinderszenen'' and ''Arabesque'' along with the Capriccio in B minor, the three Intermezzos (Op. 117) and the Rhapsody in G minor of Brahms. It is a warmly, surely played disk, reminiscent of Rubinstein's gracious authority." : John Rockwell, NY Times 1984.

61QrV7uaoVL._SX425_.jpg

I really like Brautigam on fortepiano. Have his Haydn keyboard works.

The "Night Wind" Sonata. Hamelin's performance lacks some of the passion and Russian soul of Kholodenko's, but Hyperion provides much better sound.

51joQ13dA9L.jpg

Pure magic.

51hd8JQ6WAL.jpg

31RtU3UazXL.jpg

The "Night Wind" Sonata. Hamelin's performance lacks some of the passion and Russian soul of Kholodenko's, but Hyperion provides much better sound.

51joQ13dA9L.jpg

Thanks for yet another recommendation! Have placed it in the Amazon cart.

51joQ13dA9L.jpg

If you had to have one performer perform Medtner for you (live)...would it be Hamelin, Kholodenko or Sudbin? Now, if you had to listen to only ONE CD of Medtner, would it be this Hamelin, Kholodenko or the Sudbin?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing