What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Since we seem to be talking about modern recordings, I would suggest Abaddo and MTT in M3.

Which Abbado? Lucerne, Vienna or Berlin? Honestly, I've not listened to MTT in quite awhile. I will revisit it in the very near future.

For older recording I really love Horenstein. That's almost a given, though. Kondrashin has always had a place in my heart with the Mahler 3, too. I have a thing for all of Kondrashins Mahler.

Which Abbado? Lucerne, Vienna or Berlin? Honestly, I've not listened to MTT in quite awhile. I will revisit it in the very near future.

For older recording I really love Horenstein. That's almost a given, though. Kondrashin has always had a place in my heart with the Mahler 3, too. I have a thing for all of Kondrashins Mahler.

Lucerne. Although one can argue for other performances in every symphony (of course), the entire series on BD is glorious. BTW, I agree with you about Horenstein.

On Mahler's Symphonies, i have enjoyed reading Tony Duggan's immensely detailed writing...he wrote one covering all the symphonies, and then writes 1 long article for each symphony in which he really compares upwards of 10+ versions per symphony. And he also ultimately sort of ranks them, declares his own personal favorites, as well as his 'honorable mentions' worth listening to for various reasons. Here is just the Mahler 6th review...

http://www.musicweb-international.com/Mahler/Mahler6.htm

Anyone heard this one? Sanderling? Anyone have the CD? Trying to find a copy that's not insanely priced...Mahler 6 - Sanderling.jpg

On Mahler's Symphonies, i have enjoyed reading Tony Duggan's immensely detailed writing...he wrote one covering all the symphonies, and then writes 1 long article for each symphony in which he really compares upwards of 10+ versions per symphony. And he also ultimately sort of ranks them, declares his own personal favorites, as well as his 'honorable mentions' worth listening to for various reasons. Here is just the Mahler 6th review...

Yes, Duggan's site is a great resource but, and I do not chide him for this, it is not as updated as many would wish.

Anyone heard this one? Sanderling? Anyone have the CD? Trying to find a copy that's not insanely priced..
I have listened to this disc many times. It is a real treasure. Very different from Karajan, Bernstein or Solti. Sanderling looks at Mahler with a more modern view; you will not find emotional romanticism in this recording.

Tony died in 2012. It was a huge loss to the Mahler community. To my mind, he was one of the last great reviewers.

Tony died in 2012. It was a huge loss to the Mahler community. To my mind, he was one of the last great reviewers.

Agree on both counts.

I have listened to this disc many times. It is a real treasure. Very different from Karajan, Bernstein or Solti. Sanderling looks at Mahler with a more modern view; you will not find emotional romanticism in this recording.

Wow...sounds great... i have only heard the bits from allmusic.com and other online sources. When you say disc, i presume you mean CD? If you ever decide to sell it, (and i can afford it), let me know!

Lucerne. Although one can argue for other performances in every symphony (of course), the entire series on BD is glorious. BTW, I agree with you about Horenstein.

It's too bad we never got to hear Horenstein conduct a truly good orchestra. He had such a unique vision with Mahler.

Lucerne it is. Rheinhold Frederich does give a nice posthorn, doesn't he. I will give some thoughts on this and the MTT recording in the very near future. Thanks for reminding me of these recordings, Kal.

Wow...sounds great... i have only heard the bits from allmusic.com and other online sources. When you say disc, i presume you mean CD? If you ever decide to sell it, (and i can afford it), let me know!
Sadly, that's a disc I can not part with. It was a souvenir from the Gewandhous Shop in Leipzig when I was there attending MahlerFest in '11. In a similar vein I would recommend Inbal with Tokyo Metropolitan Orchestra, though it's not cheap either. Also David Zinman with Tonhalle Zurich is very, very good and a pretty good price on Amazon, too.

While he may not impart as much drama as some other players, this is fine playing by any standard, and the sound is superb.

71rYoG2-qnL._SX522_.jpg

This SACD arrived today. Words can scarcely describe the beauty and staggering virtuosity of his playing. BIS provides their usual reference standard sound. An essential purchase for Scarlatti fans and pianophiles. (Warning: These are not "HIP.") ;)

7136pR4rK0L._SX522_.jpg

71zWsB6D5ZL._SX522_.jpg

Sadly, that's a disc I can not part with. It was a souvenir from the Gewandhous Shop in Leipzig when I was there attending MahlerFest in '11. In a similar vein I would recommend Inbal with Tokyo Metropolitan Orchestra, though it's not cheap either. Also David Zinman with Tonhalle Zurich is very, very good and a pretty good price on Amazon, too.

Totally understand...will keep looking for it!

Great stuff and beautiful music which i played when studying piano many, many years ago. have you heard Pletnev's Scarlatti Sonatas?

Scarlatti - Pletnev.jpg

This SACD arrived today. Words can scarcely describe the beauty and staggering virtuosity of his playing. BIS provides their usual reference standard sound. An essential purchase for Scarlatti fans and pianophiles. (Warning: These are not "HIP.") ;)

7136pR4rK0L._SX522_.jpg

71zWsB6D5ZL._SX522_.jpg

Great stuff and beautiful music which i played when studying piano many, many years ago. have you heard Pletnev's Scarlatti Sonatas?

View attachment 26328

Yes, I have them. I prefer Sudbin's--has a great range of expression and better sound.

Yes, I have them. I prefer Sudbin's--has a great range of expression and better sound.

Great stuff! Definitely in the AMazon basket now! Question: have you heard Sudbin's earlier version from 10 years ago as well? How does this newer version compare? Thanks!!!

Great stuff! Definitely in the AMazon basket now! Question: have you heard Sudbin's earlier version from 10 years ago as well? How does this newer version compare? Thanks!!!

Yes, I have his debut Scarlatti disc. I haven't compared them yet, but I think these are all different pieces. I'd say there's been some artistic growth, as he's even more expressive.

Yes, I have his debut Scarlatti disc. I haven't compared them yet, but I think these are all different pieces. I'd say there's been some artistic growth, as he's even more expressive.

Thanks for the feedback...have ordered the new one, and i look forward to hearing it!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing