What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

51dXRk5-L8L._SX425_.jpg
One of the best Mahler 3's recorded in the last 10-15 years. It's up there with Alan Gilbert and Manfred Honecks recordings of the work. Highly recommend.

What's everyone's take on the Mahler Symphony complete set with Leonard Bernstein and the NYP recorded in the 1960's and recently remastered?

What's everyone's take on the Mahler Symphony complete set with Leonard Bernstein and the NYP recorded in the 1960's and recently remastered?

It is smashing but not for everyone. I cut my teeth on them.

I have the 1988 (Polydor International) Deutsche Grammophon Bernstein Mahler cycle (DDD) and I absolutely love the emotion in these recordings. Although the SQ is not bad, it's far from DSD quality IMO:(

I looked on the Amazon website and the back of the package states DSD, but the format is noted as CD. One of the commenters states the discs were produced from the original analog masters and converted to DSD. Can anyone tell me if this is the remaster referred to in this post, and exactly how the disc was produced?

I haven't listened to them in quite sometime, but here is my take. This goes for the Carnegie hall remaster, and the Japanese SACD remasters which they are derived from. They are the best way to hear this cycle, hands down. Detail and clarity is vastly improves in the 2nd, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 9th. This comes at the cost of some compression and some harsh sounding sections. If Bernstein really floats your boat, then I would say pick it up.

Thanks guys. I have it on CD and love it.

I have the 1988 (Polydor International) Deutsche Grammophon Bernstein Mahler cycle (DDD) and I absolutely love the emotion in these recordings. Although the SQ is not bad, it's far from DSD quality IMO:(

I looked on the Amazon website and the back of the package states DSD, but the format is noted as CD. One of the commenters states the discs were produced from the original analog masters and converted to DSD. Can anyone tell me if this is the remaster referred to in this post, and exactly how the disc was produced?

Bernstein recorded two Mahler cycles. The cycle, 'thedudeabides', is talking about his Bernstein's earlier Mahler cycle, recorded with Columbia. You have his later cycle, made with multiple orchestras. They are two very different approaches to this music. I can tell you nothing of the provenance of your set. I'd be interested in comparing them with my originals.

I received Freire's new Bach CD today. Nearly 82 minutes of sublime playing and excellent sound.

51CLOqz%2BqgL.jpg

51dXeqA6DnL.jpg

71q0WU8aNOL._SX425_.jpg

I received Freire's new Bach CD today. Nearly 82 minutes of sublime playing and excellent sound.

51CLOqz%2BqgL.jpg

I sampled him too; new fresh release (two weeks ago). I like it very much John.

* You guys make my day; Classical Opera with Anna Netrebko, and Bach solo piano by Nelson Freire. ...The right ??? direction.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing