What a week - concertgebouw, Mahler, Rattle, koda, neolith, apogee grands!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
On Tuesday, my gf and I went to a Mahler 2 concert at the royal festival hall.

On Thursday, we watched Simon rattle conduct Bruckner 8 at the barbican (which was boring except for the second movement)

On Friday, Ron and I heard the Renaissance and the Neolith and air force 3 at KJ, London.

On Saturday my gf, her mum and I went to Amsterdam. I took off from the airport to compare koda k10 and AR Ref 10 with a koda power amp on Rockport aviors, then met them at the botanical gardens where we saw exotic acoustical diffusors from tropical, sub tropical and desert regions that my gf explained to me are commonly referred to as plants.

Saturday evening we saw Handel arias at concertgebouw, first time I have been here, and this was one of the best concerts I have seen.

On Sunday, they went to the Hague to see an exhibition on acoustical treatments by Dutch masters (Rembrandt, van Gogh, etc)...while I went to meet apogee restorer Henk.

His system is a 1000 kilo system of Apogee Grands, plinius amps on bass ribbons, Stax amps on mids, active crossovers (he said there were 2.5 kw going through the system). To cut to the chase, these are now my final dream speakers, one I will never have because of the room constraints. People who have the room, just buy the full range restored by Henk. Much less money than the grands but same size requirements. You are not going to get anything better. All IMO, of course.

Want Gustav Holst dynamics to sound like musical carpet bombing? Best tones for woodwinds? Flute and French horn floating up magically in the air? Rubinstein on the Emperor? Violins of Oistrakh playing Scottish fantasia? Bass waves? Drums not from the woofer or from a section of the speaker but all 7 feet pounding at you? With large soundstage? Ah, and organ music? Real sounds that make other hifi seem plasticky? These speakers do it all.

And all this not on vinyl, but digital. The full range had a cheap lyngdorf dac, today we had the Phasure. All with cheap throwaway cables. Doesn't matter. What is required is good amplifier control. Of course this guy is a champion restorer, and he has had years to tweak the speakers. We don't have that luxury.

But you really don't need valves in the amps. Add a Lampi at the source. Job done. On shun mooks. If you have more money, a TT.

I have asked him to introduce me to a client who has his divas. If his divas have anywhere near this midrange, I am just going to ask him to build me one. I will try to meet the Texas guy who owns apogee divas as well.

If Henk's divas sound anywhere near as good, my search has ended. And the crossovers can be replaced forever, so you can keep upgrading them. Or go active. His stock crossovers are Mundorf, but Duelund is possible.

Apogee Grand pics here http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19104-Apogee-Full-range&p=390630&viewfull=1#post390630

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
What so Grands aren't crap then?:) I'm really pleased they didn't turn out to be a croc of sh*te.

See Henk's plywood Scintillas I posted on the Apogee thread. Nice job.

Awaiting pics. Feeling sorry I didn't hear the Grands:(

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
20160415_194458.jpg

Attachments

• 20160416_200713.jpg
    20160416_200713.jpg
    703.3 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff Bonzo75,

There is an immense amount of work i think that must be required for Apogee Grands...6 sets of amplification incl Krell monos for the bass? Age, numerous electrical controls (incl shifting of the speaker itself i thought?), and lots and lots of kg of amplification make this one awesome on the one hand and impossibly impractical on the other. Hey...that's high-end audio by any sane person's definition!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
You'd best vote stay in Europe bonz or you will be paying an absolute mass in import tax, VAT and handling on those Divas LOL.

Pic not quite right above:D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am glad you had such an amazing week! It sounds fantastic! Thank you for joining me at KJ.

Are you saying you prefer the Grands to Full Ranges plus subwoofers?

How does the midrange of the Grands differ from the midrange of the Full Ranges?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am glad you had such an amazing week! It sounds fantastic! Thank you for joining me at KJ.

Are you saying you prefer the Grands to Full Ranges plus subwoofers?

How does the midrange of the Grands differ from the midrange of the Full Ranges?

The Grands and Full ranges are equally good, the latter probably better. The midranges are equal. When I heard the full ranges, they sounded unbalanced, i.e. the bass was outstanding yet on some type of music it would sound too thick and unequal. But chatted with Henk yesterday and ddk before, and this is probably an aspect of incorrect amplification. The pure ribbon of these two is double the width of the Diva ribbon, and drops to 0.15 ohm. It needs very good amp control, which Henk managed on his own speaker, and will be able to manage on full ranges. Once you go above the Divas, these two speakers become a project.

Lloyd, the Krell is inbuilt in the woofers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You'd best vote stay in Europe bonz or you will be paying an absolute mass in import tax, VAT and handling on those Divas LOL.

Pic not quite right above:D

Oh of course, but the Texas guy doesn't build them, he owns them and is running them on Tube Labs, big valve amps.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Sheeesh Bonz-- you doing more miles than Wills and Kate!:D life is great when your having fun!--ah I can remember those in my day

Apogee Grands--the last time I heard those was at Ricardo's mansion in Wimbledon with the huge Krells--- we snuffed the Tweeters if I recall on some Holst:(

as an aside-- I agree the stone bodied Koetsu's will perform to their max in say a FR66ss --better than in the Graham.

Great to read the trip guys --carry on!

BruceD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There is a guy in the US building the following Trinnov altitude system with 36 speakers , of which the front two are Neoliths. Rear two are renaissance. Side 2 are CLX.

"36 total speakers using the Trinnov Altitude32-16 pre-pro. 32 separate channels in a 21.1.10 configuration. The speakers are al Martin Logan. 12 Vanquish In ceiling. 12 axis 6 edge in wall. All in ceiling and in wall speakers are powered by 6 Bryston 9B-SST2 amps that's 30 channels @ 150 watts per channel. Neolith in front 5 Theater 3 way custom center with Dbx drive rack 4800 external crossover CLX anniversaries for sides with pass labs XA 160.8 amps. Renaissance rears with pass labs XA 160.8 amps."

Quoted from the Martin Logan forum. Her also has 8 velodyne dd18 subs in addition

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
On Sunday, they went to the Hague to see an exhibition on acoustical treatments by Dutch masters (Rembrandt, van Gogh, etc)...while I went to meet apogee restorer Henk.

His system is a 1000 kilo system of Apogee Grands, plinius amps on bass ribbons, Stax amps on mids, active crossovers (he said there were 2.5 kw going through the system). To cut to the chase, these are now my final dream speakers, one I will never have because of the room constraints. People who have the room, just buy the full range restored by Henk. Much less money than the grands but same size requirements. You are not going to get anything better. All IMO, of course.

Want Gustav Holst dynamics to sound like musical carpet bombing? Best tones for woodwinds? Flute and French horn floating up magically in the air? Rubinstein on the Emperor? Violins of Oistrakh playing Scottish fantasia? Bass waves? Drums not from the woofer or from a section of the speaker but all 7 feet pounding at you? With large soundstage? Ah, and organ music? Real sounds that make other hifi seem plasticky? These speakers do it all.

And all this not on vinyl, but digital. The full range had a cheap lyngdorf dac, today we had the Phasure. All with cheap throwaway cables. Doesn't matter. What is required is good amplifier control. Of course this guy is a champion restorer, and he has had years to tweak the speakers. We don't have that luxury.

But you really don't need valves in the amps. Add a Lampi at the source. Job done. On shun mooks. If you have more money, a TT.

Hi Ked does that mean you are not going to bother with vinyl now?
I know you like to listen loud, where do you try and sit when you are at a concert?
I like the old master brand of acoustic treatments btw.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Ked does that mean you are not going to bother with vinyl now?
I know you like to listen loud, where do you try and sit when you are at a concert?
I like the old master brand of acoustic treatments btw.

Lol vinyl does sound much better than digital. My point was to emphasize how good the system was.

If it's vocals or solo, I prefer to sit real close (though at royal opera house for vocals we usually end up sitting far off). On orchestra at barbican I take the stalls slightly behind the centre, at royal festival hall the equivalent distance of around ten rows falls in the front stall (back stalls are crap). Alternative seats are dress circle for barbican.

I prefer not to go to royal Albert hall because of the poor acoustics for classical, but I do get tempted during proms and buy the standing ticket so that I can dance to the orchestra (that is the only time one can do that)

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM

Nope. Better to spend the majority of that money to help the many people around the world in need of food, medicine / medical research, basic shelter, education, etc. versus satisfying ones ego with a singular, selfish purpose.

FWIW, I give to many charities, albeit in small amounts, given my limited income.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nope. Better to spend the majority of that money to help the many people around the world in need of food, medicine / medical research, basic shelter, education, etc. versus satisfying ones ego with a singular, selfish purpose.

FWIW, I give to many charities, albeit in small amounts, given my limited income.

Great stuff. Though you could have given more not shifting from summits to MBL, by not trying to up from pass 250 to 350, to YG and esoteric, and by saving on those shunyata cables and marigo dots.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
As expected. Sorry you missed my point.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
To come at least a little back on topic...
...I listened to the Neoliths in Munich and was very disappointed.
That was one of the worst demos I attended in Munich.
Did you listen to them in Munich as well?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing