Wadax Munich 2022

Run-RMC

Apr 16, 2022
UK
Would love to hear the Koda gear in a different context… although I would probably prefer the older hybrid amps

I was somewhat surprised by visitor comments on the Wadax, Kõda, Kharma system sound. In my experience K?da kit needs time to settle after it's been moved, but that should not be a factor here.

I have heard Kõda drive big speakers with ease, but for me the magic comes when married to high resolution, efficient loads e.g. Lumen White.

In my experience, you don't need grounding for Kõda to shine, the Tripoint I used with the Thor SE took the system performance further but it was also mighty fine without.

The Robert Kõda K70 GII is something very special to my ears, I still have mine (and my K15). I haven't heard the K160 yet, I suspect I'll still prefer the K70 but who knows...

Interesting also to read (elsewhere on this forum) that someone preferred the Kronos TT over the Wadax.

Reactions: amadeus

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I was somewhat surprised by visitor comments on the Wadax, Kõda, Kharma system sound. In my experience K?da kit needs time to settle after it's been moved, but that should not be a factor here.

I have heard Kõda drive big speakers with ease, but for me the magic comes when married to high resolution, efficient loads e.g. Lumen White.

In my experience, you don't need grounding for Kõda to shine, the Tripoint I used with the Thor SE took the system performance further but it was also mighty fine without.

The Robert Kõda K70 GII is something very special to my ears, I still have mine (and my K15). I haven't heard the K160 yet, I suspect I'll still prefer the K70 but who knows...

Interesting also to read (elsewhere on this forum) that someone preferred the Kronos TT over the Wadax.
The K70 is sublime. I should have kept mine.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Would love to hear the Koda gear in a different context… although I would probably prefer the older hybrid amps
I have to say, there are times when I 'trust' the designers when they announce a new reference. Some of those that come to mind...Yamada San of Zanden, Mark Coles of Sablon Audio...and of course there are others. I would include Robert Koch of Robert Koda in this small grouping. His description of the K160 is that he has long had a vision about amplification, recognized the strengths of his K70 hybrid but also where certain elements he could not take as far as he wanted to, and so he took I dont know how many years to focus on his new vision of circuit design...and imagined one he felt was superior to his original hybrid K70...hence the K160.

I have heard from those who have heard both. That said, I would be most intrigued to hear what you think if you hear the two side by side in the right system that can be a good complement to both. I have enjoyed reading your insightful and discerning listening notes on all matter of equipment, some of which I know a bit about, others not at all. But certainly discerning and with experience in professional classical musicianship as well. So would be great to understand what your ear hears.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Most interesting! Yes, I would intuitively agree based on my last 9 months getting to know the Robert Koda K160s in terms of high resolution, efficient speakers...I imagine the big Divins would do quite well...not familiar with Lumens. As for grounding, the Tripoint does benefit but I would agree...not 'required reading' to understand what the K160s can do..but the Entreq Tungsten is transformational...I dont know why (though my Tripoint Troy SE is much older)...nevertheless, that pairing is not going anywhere in our system.

As for Wadax...I suppose the 2 questions are Kronos v Wadax...but equally for those who like their digital (ie, me)...the equally relevant question is Wadax v any other reference digital. That is where the comments by those who have owned other reference is striking...more to come no doubt.

Run-RMC

Apr 16, 2022
UK
Early comments on Wadax were along the lines of 'it's instinguishable from good vinyl rigs'. Hence why that comment regarding Kronos stuck out in my mind.

Nonetheless, it appears Wadax (and a few select others) are pushing the envelope with digital, some feedback suggests Wadax have torn the envelope apart.

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
Early comments on Wadax were along the lines of 'it's instinguishable from good vinyl rigs'. Hence why that comment regarding Kronos stuck out in my mind.

Nonetheless, it appears Wadax (and a few select others) are pushing the envelope with digital, some feedback suggests Wadax have torn the envelope apart.
You should hear Wadax by yourself. Don't hear them via others.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

comments about Wadax from dealers and importers of competing products need to be taken with a large grain of salt. especially those with significant anti-digital and anti-solid state bias to begin with. most of those dealer/importers would not criticize their competitors. but some go out of their way to do it, and do it, and do it again. :rolleyes:

with good well sorted out vinyl playback, certainly the best pressings go to a whole different level than the Wadax. i have never claimed Wadax is indistinguishable from my best vinyl (and at a show you would expect to only hear good/great pressings), only that when i'm listening to most digital recordings on the Wadax there is nothing saying 'digital' to me. it could be vinyl. my body reacts to the music like with vinyl, and i can do extended sessions like vinyl and never tire of it. and when you have other top level digital in your system to directly compare to the Wadax the other digital gets exposed for the digital artifacts. compares are never simple to do or simple to relate.

can an audio show offer the whole picture? typically no. any second hand feedback from a show, is a data point that needs to be judged in the context and then filed away.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Another data point from a Thai owner of Wadax, top Kronos and Metaxax r2r in the same system. Playing good software the sound quality is Wadax < Kronos < Metaxax Tourbillion. The owner doesnt care what format as long as it sounds great in his system.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have made 3 different wadax vids which i will upload by the end of the week.
Wadax room wilson benesch Arc.
Wadax Kharma R koda.
Wadax Kroma room the gryphon.

See what the WBF you tube vid experts can make of it.
I have listened to 5 different set ups with Wadax at the show .
I think they have certainly struck something new with their design may be its in the chip they designed .
I think other manufacturers are going to try to copy this .
I think/ hope it will become a trickle down technology

But is it better then the best tape....hmm not so sure.
Is it extremely natural sounding while being digitally clean definetively yes.
And of course very convenient

Last edited:

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Personally for me, the best Wadax room by the end of the show was with the Robert Koda & Kharmas. Unfortunately it was the worst of the three on TFS anf fownright disastrous on Thursday Friday.. There were obviously some technical issues that were ironed out sometime Saturday. Suffice to say I've never liked what I've heard from either Wadax or RK intil now.

Ill post my pics and thoughts on the Munich 2022 Show Attendees thread in the coming days.

Kerry

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Another data point from a Thai owner of Wadax, top Kronos and Metaxax r2r in the same system. Playing good software the sound quality is Wadax < Kronos < Metaxax Tourbillion. The owner doesnt care what format as long as it sounds great in his system.

Tang, this is consistent with others who have told me that great tape sounds better than good vinyl and that good vinyl sounds better than great streaming.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Tang, this is consistent with others who have told me that great tape sounds better than good vinyl and that good vinyl sounds better than great streaming.
Sobering to think the Wadax is only your third best source…o_O

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Sobering to think the Wadax is only your third best source…o_O
agree; me too on the ranking. but the Wadax is overall 65-75% of my listening, and for periods 100%. it's the way i listen to new music and how i easily explore musical threads. and i can get great enjoyment from every format.

so musically it delivers completely. the fact that in my system to my ears it's now so vinyl-like is huge.

i do listen 30-35 hours a week, so still do plenty of vinyl and tape.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75 and Bobvin

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Tang, does your friend have the Kronos Pro or the latest new flagship that I think is called Discovery or something. It is a stand alone complete design on its own integral floor standing rack.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing