Visit to Boston to Hear the Sublime Sound of PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Maybe he didn't word the statement as well as he could have, but (many/most/all?) unipivot arms certainly do have the limitation of azimuth and VTA affecting each other. Is SME V unipivot? Either way, nothing in audio was ever more frustrating for me than using a unipivot arm which simply was never "set and forget". On the fly VTA was pointless as I'd need to get out the Fozgometer to bring azimuth back in line each time.

Bazelio, I agree with you about unipivot arms in general. I find them very finicky. Some do, however, have magnetic stabilizers which are supposed to stabilize the arm and lessen changing azimuth as the record plays. I never really thought about it, but it does seem as though azimuth does change along with changing arm heights if the headshell is offset.

The SME V is a gimbal arm, not a unipivot. Fremer's comment was overly general, IMO.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Why does perfect azimuth (as opposed to 'close enough') matter?

Good question. My arm has a fixed headshell, so no azimuth adjustment. I have never experimented with this. With many arms, changing VTA will slightly effect azimuth. Changing VTF will alter SRA which may also effect azimuth. If people adjust these during set up, I wonder if they always compensate by listening and rotating the headshell. I kind of doubt it. My guess is that it matters "up to a point", with some changes being more audible than others. People may have different sensitivities to these adjustments.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I'm glad that that cartridges are so rigid and precise, and that their manufacture is so uniform, that such things can be set with perfection and override the groove force on the needle, which is a massive variable.

Really, OC disorder squared? Gotta perfectly discipline those grooves.

Reactions: bazelio

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Do you guys think David writes on a blog as Fremer? Just read this.

"Audiophiles who tweak VTA to compensate for record thickness are wankers! Sonic differences, real or imagined, are usually because changing VTA, particularl on unipivot arms, will change azimuth and that is easily heard."
Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...tone-arm-still-captivates#zjLmd2tzzAU2K6x5.99
While not opposed to wanking not sure if holding it at 92 degrees is the best way, but each to his own :)!

david

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
While not opposed to wanking not sure if holding it at 92 degrees is the best way, but each to his own :)!

david
LOL, that’s Tang style comedy !

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I normally stand on one leg to achieve that angle.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: christoph

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Wondering how much magnification is needed to see that tip at 92 degrees?

david
Depends, is it Micro Ridge or Recplica 100 ?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I think it's spherical!

david
As long as it’s a tight fit in the groove, the fat lady will sing ! Opera of course !

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Enough stylus wagging!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
LOL, that’s Tang style comedy !
I wrote the a forbidden word (bondage) once and the humor was deleted. You guys are way more slicky classic.

Tang ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I wrote the a forbidden word (bondage) once and the humor was deleted. You guys are way more slicky classic.

Tang ;)

I missed that

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Tang ;)
You have not live on the edge until you have had a picture or post deleted on WBF ! This forum uses the latest software to track down offensive content and hyperbole. Random Offense Neutralisation software, also called R.O.N.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You have not live on the edge until you have had a picture or post deleted on WBF ! This forum uses the latest software to track down offensive content and hyperbole. Random Offense Neutralisation software, also called R.O.N.

I don't think that's fair to Ron.

Reactions: Woofer and Tweet

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

+1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing