Vinyl storage area construction needed!

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I’m doing a major home renovation, and I want to build out a dedicated area to store vinyl.

This future storage area is right around the corner from the audio system’s location. I currently have about 300 albums, but could see that number *seriously* increasing as it’s virtually all I’m listening to at the moment (though I’m going to upgrade my digital).

I can add dimensions if that would help.
The builder will do virtually anything I want here.

Regardless, could I please get some specific suggestions on what this area should look like? Dividers? Pictures? Materials? Anything would help.

BTW I also have about 500 CDs/SACDs which could be stored here or somewhere else. I could also potentially get into R2R, which similarly could be stored here or somewhere else.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_8942.jpeg
    IMG_8942.jpeg
    501.4 KB · Views: 15

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Use the Ikea Kallax units as a guide for the dimensions. Or, buy one of them and have your builder build it into the space.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Here’s what my builder came up with for a preliminary design.

He divided the albums into groups of 20, and says this will hold 640 total albums.

Is it wasteful to spend to do groups of 20 LPs (too much space for dividers, each of which could be a few more LPs)?

He created drawers in the bottom for my CDs and for my record cleaner. I listen to LPs virtually 100% of the time. So maybe the LP storage should go all the way to the floor? And the CDs and record cleaner both go somewhere else?

640 albums doesn’t seem like much since I already have a few hundred LPs and have only been buying LPs for a couple years (since obtaining my turntable).

Thoughts on the design?

Attachments

• IMG_9014.jpeg
    IMG_9014.jpeg
    578.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9013.jpeg
    IMG_9013.jpeg
    658.3 KB · Views: 15

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Here’s what my builder came up with for a preliminary design.

He divided the albums into groups of 20, and says this will hold 640 total albums.

Is it wasteful to spend to do groups of 20 LPs (too much space for dividers, each of which could be a few more LPs)?

He created drawers in the bottom for my CDs and for my record cleaner. I listen to LPs virtually 100% of the time. So maybe the LP storage should go all the way to the floor? And the CDs and record cleaner both go somewhere else?

640 albums doesn’t seem like much since I already have a few hundred LPs and have only been buying LPs for a couple years (since obtaining my turntable).

Thoughts on the design?

If your dividers are 1" solid comprising a large amount of usable space as depicted. Your builder has clearly placed their billable contribution above customer utility. Dimensions of a Kallax present a strong argument for it's popularity. Perhaps a photo of how 20 LP actively played are stored outside of being compacted inside a cardboard box would be useful to approach them with.

Also, you may wish to devote cramped and ill lit space on the bottom to boxed sets or vinyl accessory storage.

Best of luck.

Reactions: gds7368

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing