iFi Audio Neo Stream - The Official Thread

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thanks for the info. I was using "throwing away bits" a bit loosely there, to mean degradation, so thanks, too, for the clarification.

I suppose another option would be to control volume through Roon, though I don't know if that'd be preferable.
It kind of is throwing away bits in reality.
I'm using Roon with my demo unit and using the Roon control of the volume in Neo Stream. Works wonderfully, but still didn't have the time to try other options.

fishermorgan

Nov 2, 2022
It kind of is throwing away bits in reality.
I'm using Roon with my demo unit and using the Roon control of the volume in Neo Stream. Works wonderfully, but still didn't have the time to try other options.
Question: Any professional reviews out there yet on the NEO Stream?

gryffe

Nov 17, 2022
Hi, just joined forum today as I bought the Neo Stream and noticed that IFI respond to posts on here as well as owners of the Neo.

Set up the Neo yesterday afternoon and have tinkered with it for an hour or two and hoping to get some answers that might give me some quick wins.
I have Roon, and I have subscriptions for Qobuz, Tidal (trial), Audirvana (trial) and Apple Music. What I am finding so far is that Roon is seamless, and I can connect to Qobuz and Tidal apps on there and play back music no problem. I am playing back from a Mytek Brooklyn DAC/pre amp using USB connected to the Neo streamer. However when I want to switch away from Roon and use Audirvana via the DLNA setting on the Neo I don't get any sound unless I switch off/on the DAC/preamp and/or the Neo streamer first. Any idea how to overcome this as it is a bit annoying, I dont want to have to reboot pieces of hifi kit any time I want to switch between music services, and anyway this has never been a problem with other streamers I have used in the past. Another issue is that I can only get sound if I use the USB output between the DAC/preamp and the Neo, if I switch to SP/DIF Coaxial cable I don't get any sound even if I switch off/on the DAC/preamp and/or Neo Streamer. I am pretty confident that this is a problem related to the Neo, because when I use the same Coaxial cable to play back music from my CD player I can get sound no problem, and the CD player is connected by Coaxial to the same DAC/preamp that I am using with the Neo.

Hopefully these aren't schoolboy errors :) Grateful for any help. Thanks.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Question: Any professional reviews out there yet on the NEO Stream?
On the way, but nothing has been released yet, I think. Sooner than later :)

Hi, just joined forum today as I bought the Neo Stream and noticed that IFI respond to posts on here as well as owners of the Neo.

Set up the Neo yesterday afternoon and have tinkered with it for an hour or two and hoping to get some answers that might give me some quick wins.
I have Roon, and I have subscriptions for Qobuz, Tidal (trial), Audirvana (trial) and Apple Music. What I am finding so far is that Roon is seamless, and I can connect to Qobuz and Tidal apps on there and play back music no problem. I am playing back from a Mytek Brooklyn DAC/pre amp using USB connected to the Neo streamer. However when I want to switch away from Roon and use Audirvana via the DLNA setting on the Neo I don't get any sound unless I switch off/on the DAC/preamp and/or the Neo streamer first. Any idea how to overcome this as it is a bit annoying, I dont want to have to reboot pieces of hifi kit any time I want to switch between music services, and anyway this has never been a problem with other streamers I have used in the past. Another issue is that I can only get sound if I use the USB output between the DAC/preamp and the Neo, if I switch to SP/DIF Coaxial cable I don't get any sound even if I switch off/on the DAC/preamp and/or Neo Streamer. I am pretty confident that this is a problem related to the Neo, because when I use the same Coaxial cable to play back music from my CD player I can get sound no problem, and the CD player is connected by Coaxial to the same DAC/preamp that I am using with the Neo.

Hopefully these aren't schoolboy errors :) Grateful for any help. Thanks.
Thanks for reaching out to us :)
Obviously I need to ask the usual suspect questions:
Which software version are you running? Have you updated it yet?

Our streamers have a autodetect feature on the USB output. It has priority over other outputs. To switch to other outputs, please enter settings and change output to "Digital outputs". That will deactivate USB output and turn on the other digital outputs. It is a mean for our streamers to reduce noise.

Reactions: gryffe

gryffe

Nov 17, 2022
On the way, but nothing has been released yet, I think. Sooner than later :)

Thanks for reaching out to us :)
Obviously I need to ask the usual suspect questions:
Which software version are you running? Have you updated it yet?

Our streamers have a autodetect feature on the USB output. It has priority over other outputs. To switch to other outputs, please enter settings and change output to "Digital outputs". That will deactivate USB output and turn on the other digital outputs. It is a mean for our streamers to reduce noise.
@AMR / iFi audio Hi, thanks for reply. I had actually managed to upgrade the software earlier on this morning when I finally managed to get the remote control to work on my Ipad. Still can't get Coaxial to work on Audirvana, although it does work with Apple, Spotify and Amazon. I'll try and get a solution from Audirvana.
On the subject of the remote, I can't get it to work all the time on ifi.local. After a while it shows a "connection failed" error. It was great using it for an hour or so earlier this morning to play my local tunes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing