Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
Quick reminder: only three days left to support the Kickstarter for "Vintage" (Jerome Sabbagh, Kenny Barron, Joe Martin and Johnathan Blake)! AAA vinyl cut by Bernie Grundman, high res files, CDs, test pressings are still available. A couple of free tracks in 24/192 are available to anyone who asks. Thank you for your support!

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
I made a short video of the test acetate for "Vintage", cut AAA by Bernie Grundman, that I received recently. I think it sounds really great! It's below, and I hope you enjoy it:

If anyone still wants to pre-order, just reach out to me. Thanks!

Dr Morbius

Feb 14, 2021
You’ve done it right, using Ampex electronics to bring this to fruition. I had an Ampex 350 8 track for some years and it was a superb machine.

Reactions: Jerome Sabbagh

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
Thanks! I am really happy about the results. I do think the Ampex electronics sound fantastic. I already have the digital files for the record, I'm waiting for the AAA test pressings from the plant ... Release date is Sep 15 in the US.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic! Looking forward to it.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Hello everyone,

Happy New Year!

I wanted to let you all know about a new all analog project I am involved in: a quartet record with jazz legend Kenny Barron, Joe Martin and Johnathan Blake.

This new album is a mix of compositions of mine and standards. There are some duets between Kenny Barron and I, and some quartet tracks. The album was recorded to multitrack tape by Ryan Streber at Oktaven Audio, and mixed at Brooklyn Recording by Pete Rende on a custom all tube 1/2 inch Ampex 351 tape machine. Both tape machines were at 30 ips. The Ampex was converted to 1/2 inch 15/30 ips operation with the help of some of the best technicians in the US (Dave Dintenfass, John Chester, John French), has new heads from Flux, and sounds stunning, in my opinion. Members of this board were very helpful in the process, in the Ampex 351 thread and the Ampex electronics for best sound thread, which is a fascinating trove of information for anyone interested, and I am grateful for the knowledge I got on this board. The process of converting the Ampex lasted over two years. Bernie Grundman will do the mastering and cut the record, all analog.

I am currently fundraising to help finance the mastering and pressing and recoup some of the recording costs. The Kickstarter page is here, in case anyone is interested:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...l-analog-vinyl

There are many rewards, starting with the vinyl itself, in regular or limited, numbered edition, but also including test pressings, R2R tapes, as well as high resolution downloads and CDs. The R2R tapes are sold out on the Kickstarter but if anyone on this board is interested, I will make it happen for you.

I really went all out to make this record sound great. I am very pleased with the results, musically as well as sonically, and I hope you will consider supporting this project. The Kickstarter is technically funded, which ensures the project will go forward. However, my actual budget is a lot higher than what I asked for, and that doesn't even count the cost of the Ampex, so I would very much welcome some support if you are into it.

I am happy to send a couple of songs at 192/24 to anyone here who wants to check out the music and the sound. Just let me know.

Here is a video from the mix session, in case you are curious:

The Ampex is portable! That was a factor in choosing it, as we can take it to a studio or a space to record if we want to.

I am happy to answer any and all questions. Thank you for your support!

Jerome Sabbagh
How did I miss this post until now. Hi Jerome, I caught you and Greg back in the day. I had no idea you were an audiophile...condolances : ) During the pandemic, one north star moment was when Kenny came to Rockport and performed at the Shalin Liu. The engineers are buddies of mine and came to hear the recording in our room...of course there was no audience. He's still killing it...so beautiful. I'll check out your kickstarter.

Last edited:

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
How did I miss this post until now. Hi Jerome, I caught you and Greg back in the day. I had no idea you were an audiophile...condolances : ) During the pandemic, one north star moments was when Kenny came to Rockport and performed at the Shalin Liu. The engineers are buddies of mine and came to hear the recording in our room...of course there was no audience. He's still killing it...so beautiful. I'll check out your kickstarter.
Thanks Fred! Playing with Kenny was fantastic, he's amazing in every way. The duets we did, in particular, were a treat for me, and might be my favorite thing on the record. I just replied to your PM. Thanks for your support!

If anyone else here is interested in getting an LP, tape or else, please reach out by PM. I'll make it happen, despite the Kickstarter being over. Thanks!

Reactions: hopkins

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Thanks Fred! Playing with Kenny was fantastic, he's amazing in every way. The duets we did, in particular, were a treat for me, and might be my favorite thing on the record. I just replied to your PM. Thanks for your support!

If anyone else here is interested in getting an LP, tape or else, please reach out by PM. I'll make it happen, despite the Kickstarter being over. Thanks!
There's great precedent for that formula...sax and piano. I think of Art Pepper and George Cables and later Frank Morgan and George. Of course Getz and Kenny Barron were landmark. I'm sure there are many others not coming to my mind. Leaves a lot of room for interplay but it must be exhausting. Sonny with bass and drums comes to mind as a tribute to stamina and great music. blah blah blah. Thanks for the music.

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
There's great precedent for that formula...sax and piano. I think of Art Pepper and George Cables and later Frank Morgan and George. Of course Getz and Kenny Barron were landmark. I'm sure there are many others not coming to my mind. Leaves a lot of room for interplay but it must be exhausting. Sonny with bass and drums comes to mind as a tribute to stamina and great music. blah blah blah. Thanks for the music.
Yes, I have the Art Pepper/George Cables album (Art Pepper was one of my early influences when I was learning how to play) and I love the Stan Getz/Kenny Barron "People Time" duets (there is now a 7 CDs boxset available with all the gigs that week at Montmartre). I also love the less well know Stan Getz/Albert Dailey album "Poetry", which I think has some stunning playing from both. And there's also a nice Joel Frahm/Brad Mehldau duet album "Don't Explain" ... Many more, I'm sure, but there's something special about piano and sax.

Reactions: hopkins

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
Very much looking forward to hearing this album. Worth the wait. Thanks for the update, Jerome.

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
I just wanted to provide an update: "Vintage" has been out for a few days and we are starting to get good reviews. The digital files and the CDs are available already. I am hoping to have the AAA vinyl in about two weeks. I approved the test pressings and I thought they were very good. More details here:

R2R tapes are also done, I will be doing a second round pretty soon.

If anyone who participated here wants the digital files first, please do let me know. I can send those already.

Thanks a lot!

Jerome Sabbagh

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
Jerome, thank you for the update. I purchased both Lp / cd. You should have my address from my purchase. If not let me know. Looking forward to receiving. Congrats to you on a fine recording.
Thank you! I will ship both CD and LP at the same time, when I get the LPs. I have a file with all addresses, so everything should be fine. Thank you for your support!

Reactions: Long Live Analog

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing