"Vintage", an all analog jazz Lp, from Jason Sabbagh

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
ordered it back in the early summer i think, it just arrived. mine is number #369.

recorded in 2020 on Studer A800 at 30ips, mixed to 1/2" on an Ampex 351 with an all tubes. mastered by Bernie from the analog tape. and it sounds like it. very lively and flowing, micro-dynamic and PRAT filled. really enjoy the playing and sense of ensemble. tip top tone and boggie factor. the piano sound has a perfect balance. great presence and full bodied.

IMG_1061.jpeg

Petrat

Apr 17, 2019
UK
Anything with Kenny Barron playing on it is guaranteed top quality jazz.

Reactions: Jerome Sabbagh

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Svartskog, Greater Oslo, Norway
Thanks Mike, placed my order now.

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
Thank you all for your support, I appreciate it, and @Mike Lavigne, I am glad you are enjoying the record.

As it turns out, Michael Fremer reviewed "Vintage" just a couple of days ago: https://trackingangle.com/music/saxophonist-jerome-sabbagh-s-latest-aaa-release-truly-is-vintage (Music = 10, Sound = 11).

For now, it's still exclusively on my website at www.jeromesabbagh.com. Reel to reel tapes are also available.

I am already working on the next project, recorded live to two track tape to my custom Ampex 351 (1/2 inch, 30 ips) by James Farber at Power Station, and also cut by Bernie Grundman. I am getting the acetate .... tomorrow! It's a trio record with Joe Martin and Al Foster called "Heart" and I will be creating a label to release it, as well as other all analog projects from other musicians. The label is called Analog Tone Factory (you heard it here first!).

I have some support from Stenheim and Ana Mighty Sound for the next project. I am hoping darTZeel, who supported "Vintage" will keep supporting. If anyone here is in a position to support this endeavor, please reach out. I will be fundraising for it in the next year. I hope this can be a sustainable way to create high quality all analog recordings of great music.

Last edited:

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
I cannot find any tape info on the webpage?
Hi,

Please email me for details/pricing about the tapes: jerome@jeromesabbagh.com. Or PM me here. Basically, tapes are made to order. I can make available:

- first generation tape from Bernie Grundman (direct copy of the actual master, which very rarely happens), 1/4 inch, 15 ips CCIR (2 tapes) (the one @dcc has and which is pictured in this thread above)

- second generation tape copy (made from a 1/2 inch 30 ips copy of the master made at Bernie Grundman’s , 1/4 inch, 15 ips CCIR

Other formats (30 ips, possibly on 1/2 inch, 7 1/2 ips on 1/4 inch) available upon request.

Thanks for your interest!

Jerome Sabbagh

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Would like to hear more about the sonic differences between vinyl and tape one day @dcc
I just did a direct comparison by playing Side A of the LP and then Tape 1 followed by the same sequence with Side B and Tape 2.

IMG_5788.jpeg

IMG_5789.jpeg

The details of my analog front end can be found on my system's thread https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/my-little-barn.26426/page-9

First of all, the quality of the vinyl pressing is top notch with no surface noise. The sound is superb with plenty of dynamics with a very well layered soundstage.

The tape (I have the direct copy) goes further with even more impressive dynamics and captures more details which is to be expected.

The gap between the vinyl and the tape is not that big compared to some other direct copies I have due to the extreme quality of the vinyl.

In both cases, a very impressive rendition of a beautiful recording.

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Thank You for the feedback dcc, much appreciated.

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
For those of you who are interested, the fine folks at Jazzbums just interviewed me about "Vintage" and other things, including the all analog label I am creating. We talked about the music, getting a sound on the saxophone, Joe Henderson, the technical aspects of recording back in the day and now, pressing plants, etc. It's a free ranging conversation. I had a great time talking with them and I hope you enjoy. It's on their YouTube channel:

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
Stereophile's Alex Halberstadt just published a piece that talks about "Vintage", as well as my upcoming record "Heart" and the all analog label I am creating with Pete Rende, Analog Tone Factory. The piece also talks about Dave Slagle's autoformer based passive preamps, which certainly sounded great at Alex's place. It's here in case you're interested: Brilliant Corners #13: The EM/IA Remote Autoformer and Listening with Master Jazzman Jerome Sabbagh

I will also be going to Axpona and, among other things, will play and present the label in the darTZeel room. If anyone is going, please say hello!

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Congratulations on the review of both "Vintage" and "Heart". I guess I need to order Heart as soon as possible as well! :D

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Are "Vintage" and "Heart" comparable musically to "The Turn"? I have the latter's 2016 repress.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing