Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I feel is time to upgrade my amp and not easy to make a choice.

Currently playing MSB discrete and Linn LP12 through Vitus RI-101 mkII with TAD ME-1.

Beside the wish for an overall improvement, I’d like to improve dynamics and details at low volume, let’s say 70db.

I like Vitus sounds and it seems I have two main options:
- going for the RL102 preamp and either the RS101 power amp or my RI101 mkII as power amp
- replacing the RI101 mkII with the upper tier integrated SIA025

Any advice from Vitus owners or folks knowledgeable with the brand?

TAD C2000 with M2500 too far from my budget.

Attached picture of my listening space.

IMG_1728.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokey77

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
How about adding subwoofer using active crossover?

If your vitus drive Tad from 70hz and up, then it will have more headroom.
Didn’t think about that. That would help improving listening experience at low volume?

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Didn’t think about that. That would help improving listening experience at low volume?
I don't think it would. You should try a low powered amp, either valve or solid state. I've used Audio Note valve amps and DNM solid state amps successfully with B&W 802's (usually poor at low volume).

shawnf

Jan 1, 2022
I feel is time to upgrade my amp and not easy to make a choice.

Currently playing MSB discrete and Linn LP12 through Vitus RI-101 mkII with TAD ME-1.

Beside the wish for an overall improvement, I’d like to improve dynamics and details at low volume, let’s say 70db.

I like Vitus sounds and it seems I have two main options:
- going for the RL102 preamp and either the RS101 power amp or my RI101 mkII as power amp
- replacing the RI101 mkII with the upper tier integrated SIA025

Any advice from Vitus owners or folks knowledgeable with the brand?

TAD C2000 with M2500 too far from my budget.

Attached picture of my listening space.

View attachment 122696
Nice system. I have a MSB Premier DAC myself but use it solely for headphone listening.

How would you describe your system overall, especially in terms of PRAT?

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I don't think it would. You should try a low powered amp, either valve or solid state. I've used Audio Note valve amps and DNM solid state amps successfully with B&W 802's (usually poor at low volume).
It seems common to associate good performance at low volume with high current and short path amps.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Nice system. I have a MSB Premier DAC myself but use it solely for headphone listening.

How would you describe your system overall, especially in terms of PRAT?
Very dynamic and accurate. Not overly fast. It retains an organic sound without being too analytical. To me it’s the best balance I had in years. Curious to see the effect of the SIA025 could bring in with what is defined being its creamy textured sound.

Reactions: shawnf

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Hi Ricco

You should consider to add some acoustic panels. I did it with some 244 and soundblock Gik ones. It clearly improves the sound clarity, less indirect sound even at moderate volume.
WAF is the answer.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
It most certainly will. That is the main reason old receivers (and some new gear) had a bass boost or loudness switch. You may wish to consider a couple of REL T7X's subs or equivalent.

Reactions: Ricco275

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
WAF is the answer.
It is a long time process; several years.
Seriously you are going to be limited by your room acoustic if it is not already the case. Try to borrow some

Reactions: Ricco275

Bretson

Jun 28, 2020
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Hi There,

I have had a very similar system. The best body and weight in the system was derived from a change in the DAC.

I had :

MSB Discrete
Vitus - SS010
TAD ME1

Other amps: Burmester 036, Pass 30.8, Audionet Watt

Personally, I found the MSB didn't play nicely with the vitus. I removed the MSB for a far cheaper DAC. The Merason DAC 1 Mki provided much fuller bass weight at all volume levels and paired wonderfully with my Vitus. There was a moderate tradeoff in resolution but ultimately it sounded much fuller with the Merason and imo that was worthwhile.

You can pick one up fairly cheap on the used market and try it for yourself.

This being said, I am now using Audionet Watt with my MSB Discrete on CR1's for a nice blend of both worlds. Still not as good for quiet listening though as through the Vitus and Merason Combo.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Hi There,

I have had a very similar system. The best body and weight in the system was derived from a change in the DAC.

I had :

MSB Discrete
Vitus - SS010
TAD ME1

Other amps: Burmester 036, Pass 30.8, Audionet Watt

Personally, I found the MSB didn't play nicely with the vitus. I removed the MSB for a far cheaper DAC. The Merason DAC 1 Mki provided much fuller bass weight at all volume levels and paired wonderfully with my Vitus. There was a moderate tradeoff in resolution but ultimately it sounded much fuller with the Merason and imo that was worthwhile.

You can pick one up fairly cheap on the used market and try it for yourself.

This being said, I am now using Audionet Watt with my MSB Discrete on CR1's for a nice blend of both worlds. Still not as good for quiet listening though as through the Vitus and Merason Combo.
Thanks. I know the Merason. I owned it when I had Allnic T2000.
how is the audionet Watt? I was interested in it.
Overall I’m happy with my system now. I think it’s a matter of vibration / isolation.
Alberto metamorphosis cables made an enormous change.
next week I’ll receive my new Music First Audio Baby reference 2 passive preamp. Let’s see!

Reactions: Young Skywalker

Bretson

Jun 28, 2020
Thanks. I know the Merason. I owned it when I had Allnic T2000.
how is the audionet Watt? I was interested in it.
Overall I’m happy with my system now. I think it’s a matter of vibration / isolation.
Alberto metamorphosis cables made an enormous change.
next week I’ll receive my new Music First Audio Baby reference 2 passive preamp. Let’s see!
The Watt is fantastic. I had narrowed down my ideals in amplifiers and the Audionet delivers. I tend to prefer amps with wide bandwidth, DC coupling, high damping factor, a huge power supply and a sophisticated volume control.

This has lead me to Gryphon, Burmester, Vitus and now Audionet. The vitus is special amongst these as it uses their large EI transformer, also something i tend to prefer.

The audionet however, is as close to a perfect Amp as ive owned. Huge power, dead quiet, very refined. Contrary to the reviews, it doesn't sound like a tube amp. It is smooth and refined even at high volumes. I wouldn't say it excels at low volume but it is competent. It is very utilitarian looking but it is the perfect size for a normal domestic environment.

I wouldn't say the Audionet is better but it is a very fine and refined piece.

The one thing i do have which was not mentioned that allows for a significant overhaul in dynamics and smoothness is Critical Mass Center stage footers. I only use three 0.8's under each component as they are the cheapest and work very well. I have experimented using up to six under each unit but it doesnt make a difference. 3 is enough. They do work though.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
The Watt is fantastic. I had narrowed down my ideals in amplifiers and the Audionet delivers. I tend to prefer amps with wide bandwidth, DC coupling, high damping factor, a huge power supply and a sophisticated volume control.

This has lead me to Gryphon, Burmester, Vitus and now Audionet. The vitus is special amongst these as it uses their large EI transformer, also something i tend to prefer.

The audionet however, is as close to a perfect Amp as ive owned. Huge power, dead quiet, very refined. Contrary to the reviews, it doesn't sound like a tube amp. It is smooth and refined even at high volumes. I wouldn't say it excels at low volume but it is competent. It is very utilitarian looking but it is the perfect size for a normal domestic environment.

I wouldn't say the Audionet is better but it is a very fine and refined piece.

The one thing i do have which was not mentioned that allows for a significant overhaul in dynamics and smoothness is Critical Mass Center stage footers. I only use three 0.8's under each component as they are the cheapest and work very well. I have experimented using up to six under each unit but it doesnt make a difference. 3 is enough. They do work though.
Which amp amongst those was the best at low volume in your opinion?
I’ve heard about critical mass center. I’ve ordered the graphite audio IC35 cones. I may get one set of the CMC to try and compare. Any experience with stillpoints?

Bretson

Jun 28, 2020
Which amp amongst those was the best at low volume in your opinion?
I’ve heard about critical mass center. I’ve ordered the graphite audio IC35 cones. I may get one set of the CMC to try and compare. Any experience with stillpoints?
The Vitus with Merason was best at low level. The Vitus with MSB did not sound good.

MSB with Burmester, Gryphon and Audionet Watt were a close second for low level. Overall fidelity increased with these setups over anything with the vitus. If you are looking for a new integrated you couldnt go wrong with Burmester 032, Gryphon Diablo, Audionet Watt.

I am currently using the WATT and could have it forever. It is very nice.

Reactions: shawnf and Ricco275

shawnf

Jan 1, 2022
The Vitus with Merason was best at low level. The Vitus with MSB did not sound good.

MSB with Burmester, Gryphon and Audionet Watt were a close second for low level. Overall fidelity increased with these setups over anything with the vitus. If you are looking for a new integrated you couldnt go wrong with Burmester 032, Gryphon Diablo, Audionet Watt.

I am currently using the WATT and could have it forever. It is very nice.
Thanks for the feedback. In Singapore the main MSB dealer/distributor also carries Vitus and Marten and YG Acoustics speakers. So I agree with this assessment. With a MSB, Vitus and Marten setup, highs are amazing but that mid bass punch is missing. With YG Acoustics, mid bass presence and punch are better but I still felt the Vitus was lacking a bit.

Elsewhere, I have heard people getting good synergy with Coda amplifiers. Personally, I'm interested in trialing a Constellation + MSB combo performance.

Last edited:

Bretson

Jun 28, 2020
Thanks for the feedback. In Singapore the main MSB dealer/distributor also carries Vitus and Marten and YG Acoustics speakers. So I agree with this assessment. With a MSB, Vitus and Marten setup, highs are amazing but that mid bass punch is missing. With YG Acoustics, mid bass presence and punch are better but I still felt the Vitus was lacking a bit.

Elsewhere, I have heard people getting good synergy with Coda amplifiers. Personally, I'm interested in trialing a Constellation + MSB combo performance.
I've had CODA CSiB also. I found it ho-hum. Similar to PASS which is very nice in mid and treble but no bass. In my system which was similar to your, CODA didn't get the job done. Actually PASS is preferable overall to CODA imo.

I would also like to hear Constellation but when i look under the hood of those units im not impressed. It's all in the beholder, but when you're spending this kind of money thing ought to impress from every angle.

There's lots of nice sounding equipment that's also well made. I would look to Germany or Scandinavia for the sound you seek.

I live in Canada and I wish that Bryston , Anthem , Classe or Moon sounded as good but it just doesn't. Perhaps Meitner or Tenor have the answer. I suspect they do.

In all honesty, I like all of this stuff.

Reactions: shawnf

Bretson

Jun 28, 2020
Further Update

MSB with Watt and Dynaudio Confidence 30 is near perfection.

I have in home:

TAD CR1 Mkii
Dynaudio Confidence 30
Audiovector R3 Arrete
Paradigm Persona 5f

Best combo is with MSB, WATT and DYN Confidence 30. CR1 is right there as well but seems to be less efficient than DYN and not quite as good for low level listening.

Reactions: Ricco275 and shawnf

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Further Update

MSB with Watt and Dynaudio Confidence 30 is near perfection.

I have in home:

TAD CR1 Mkii
Dynaudio Confidence 30
Audiovector R3 Arrete
Paradigm Persona 5f

Best combo is with MSB, WATT and DYN Confidence 30. CR1 is right there as well but seems to be less efficient than DYN and not quite as good for low level listening.
I have TAD ME1, MSB discrete and Vitus RI101 mk2. Wondering if the Watt would give better performance overall and especially at low volume listening. I will have a Music First Audio passive preamp coming in 10 days that should help at low volume.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing