UPDATE ON RRV ie RIGHT ROOM VOLUME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
If the OP is saying that one volume level fits all recordinds with minor (say + or - 2db) volume adjustments, I am speechless. Maybe I do not understand RRV.

And no OP, Steve does not need your help. To suggest otherwise is very pretentious and disrespectful.

And Steve, if you have detents (clicks) on your volume control knob, I totally agree. Volume knobs that have no such control, that is another story. What is the dB value of each click of your pre?
0.3 db IIRC

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Here is just one example from two of my reference tracks which would appear to show the concept of RRV to fail:

Track 1: Artist: Willie Nelson, Album: To All the Girls, Track: Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Track 2: Beethoven, Piano Sonata #32, Anatol Ugorski. Deutsche Grammophon

These are both on Qobuz.

My notes show:

Willie Nelson: Spl 73 avg/85 peaks. Amp attenuator set to 14

Ugorski: Spl 73 avg/96 peaks. Amp attenuator set to 29

The amp used is .5 db per click, so that's a 7.5 db difference in how these two tracks match average Spl levels and more importantly sound right to me in my room. Setting either one of these tracks at the same volume level on the amp would be a sonic disaster!

Perhaps if you only listen to heavily compressed recordings, you might find one setting to work?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I trust the OP has received sufficient input from the "usual suspects". Maybe he has learned something.

• Haha
Reactions: wil

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Here is just one example from two of my reference tracks which would appear to show the concept of RRV to fail:

Track 1: Artist: Willie Nelson, Album: To All the Girls, Track: Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Track 2: Beethoven, Piano Sonata #32, Anatol Ugorski. Deutsche Grammophon
I previously posted a volume numerical range on my pre from 35 to 65. Each value is 0.7db. And I typically listen to all music with peaks at 85db + / -. DUH!

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
As I sit here tonight listening to the stereo, I sort of wish his same volume for all songs was even semi-true, but unfortunately it’s totally false. I listen to my Lumin playlists on random shuffle, and I constantly have to turn the volume up for some songs, and down for others. That is how I get the same volume to my ears.

Reactions: Bobvin

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I'm still interested in trying to understand anything. And since you opened the thread I assume you're interested in talking about it.

I'm glad you have recording experience, this should make the conversation easier. Let's try reducing the problem and try to squeeze out a clearer picture so we're not beating around the bush.

Your hypothesis is that there is one and only one adequate listening volume for a given room/set up. But you state this as 'once you find the spot in your volume control, it's done, don't move it ever again, no matter the source or program material'. Or at least you seem to from what I can see.

Allow me to put forward a small exercise. You record a given event. You make two masters from the same recording: one is simply 5db higher gain than the other, otherwise exactly the same. Disregard clipping, headroom, all the things that would tilt you towards an ideal gain in real life. So you have the same program, just with 5dB difference in gain. Your hypothesis is that you still should not move the reproduction gain/volume, the ideal setting will provide you with the best experience for both masters of this same recording?

Sorry for the reductio ad absurdum, but you seem pretty confident in your claims, so here shouldn't be a problem in digging deeper.
lol. I’ll bill you for the recording and mastering. That’ll be 5k. Sending my bank details…
If the OP is saying that one volume level fits all recordinds with minor (say + or - 2db) volume adjustments, I am speechless. Maybe I do not understand RRV.

And no OP, Steve does not need your help. To suggest otherwise is very pretentious and disrespectful.

And Steve, if you have detents (clicks) on your volume control knob, I totally agree. Volume knobs that have no such control, that is another story. What is
As I sit here tonight listening to the stereo, I sort of wish his same volume for all songs was even semi-true, but unfortunately it’s totally false. I listen to my Lumin playlists on random shuffle, and I constantly have to turn the volume up for some songs, and down for others. That is how I get the same volume to my ears.
Sadly youre doing it wrong and misunderstood the whole concept.

RCanelas

Dec 28, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
cinnamonaudio.com
lol. I’ll bill you for the recording and mastering. That’ll be 5k. Sending my bank details…

Sadly youre doing it wrong and misunderstood the whole concept.

You appear to be trying to play tennis without a net, that's unfortunate.

Either because you genuinely don't understand what people are trying to say and deflect (incredibly bad I dare say) or you're just trolling, I'm not surprised you get this type of response from other forum members, but I'm surprised you get any response at all. Trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and attempting a conversation is futile and an exercise in moderate frustration.

Take care and don't forget to set your volume.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Extreme harshness is unpleasant whatever the volume.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
You appear to be trying to play tennis without a net, that's unfortunate.

Either because you genuinely don't understand what people are trying to say and deflect (incredibly bad I dare say) or you're just trolling, I'm not surprised you get this type of response from other forum members, but I'm surprised you get any response at all. Trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and attempting a conversation is futile and an exercise in moderate frustration.

Take care and don't forget to set your volume.
Trolling. Hahahahaha. It’s you whos trolling coz you can’t stand that others join in on a reasonable discussion. Clearly you don’t know how to set RRV. Pity. ( and pity those who ‘like’ your sad response. )

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
My suggestions:
Witches Brew
Classic Records – LSC-2225
Crimson 20th Century Schizoid Man from In the Court of the Crimson King first press Island pink rim
The Beatles When I Saw Here Standing There from Please Please Me lp MONO first or third press
Miles Davis Blue in Green from Kind of blue Analogue Productions UHQR
Yes Fragile from The Yes Album Mobile Fidelity One Step

I’m using the app on my iPhone. Please post as you go. I’ll do mine later today if others care to join in. I’ll wait to see who’s game.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
It really is astonishing... there is a claim that RRV is one particular value, clearly room dependent. But the fellow advocating for this isn't willing to share 1) his own value in terms of a db measurement along with some details about his room and/or 2) some method by which one goes about determining this RRV.

It would seem to me (but as I said before, I am just a layman) someone so devoted to telling the world about RRV he'd be willing to share his method/technique so we could all bask in the glory of RRV.

Otherwise, this thread is a repeat with no new information, i.e. worthless troll slobber.
Wrong. Go see the thread. I’ve posted my lp suggestions. Now join in or stop trolling … or don’t u have the cajones

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Th
And I hope you share your room dimensions and the listening volume at which you listen at your listening seat? The volume must surely change depending on which recording you’re listening to, but I would like a rough idea.

why be so vague about your claims and not share more specific details about the method used to find this right room volume?
the volume NEVER changes. I thought I’d made that abundantly clear for RRV.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Respectfully when u set RRV u will not need to do that.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
My suggestions:
Witches Brew
Classic Records – LSC-2225
Crimson 20th Century Schizoid Man from In the Court of the Crimson King first press Island pink rim
The Beatles When I Saw Here Standing There from Please Please Me lp MONO first or third press
Miles Davis Blue in Green from Kind of blue Analogue Productions UHQR
Yes Fragile from The Yes Album Mobile Fidelity One Step

I’m using the app on my iPhone. Please post as you go. I’ll do mine later today if others care to join in. I’ll wait to see who’s game.

Can you add a string quartet, a choral recording, and a Symphony to your list?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Th

the volume NEVER changes. I thought I’d made that abundantly clear for RRV.

not the volume setting on your preamplifier, I’m saying when listening to a recording there is clearly soft and loud passages. Listen to a choral piece of music. Lots of change in volume level. Nothing to do with your fixed system output level.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
not the volume setting on your preamplifier, I’m saying when listening to a recording there is clearly soft and loud passages. Listen to a choral piece of music. Lots of change in volume level. Nothing to do with your fixed system output level.
Peter. Again, the preamp volume does not change. But yes, changes in dynamics are of course ‘a thing’ but the RRV adds to the magic in such scenarios, not subtract. I really don’t get what’s so difficult about this.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Hmm, how many predicted this thread was headed for a cliff before the train even left the station?

Do NOT put a locomotive on that track, its a waste of a good locomotive

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I swear internet trolls are either part of a giant multimedia modern art exhibition, a psychological experiment to test our gullibility, or our alien friends checking out just how much of a push over we are.

• Haha
Reactions: Bobvin
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing