Ultraanalogue Recordings new recordings from June 11 concert

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Here are videos from our June 11 concert with Alena Baeva & Vadym Kholodenko!

Solo piano 1st half:

Thomas Ades: Traced Overhead
Franz Liszt: Dante Sonata
Franz Liszt: Petrarca's Sonnet No.123 & Tarantella

2nd half

Beethoven Kreutzer Piano & Violin Sonata No.9 "Kreutzer"

Amazing performances

Enjoy!

Ed

Last edited:

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Here are videos from our June 11 concert with Alena Baeva & Vadym Kholodenko!

Solo piano 1st half:

Thomas Ades: Traced Overhead
Franz Liszt: Dante Sonata
Franz Liszt: Petrarca's Sonnet No.123 & Tarantella

2nd half

Beethoven Kreutzer Piano & Violin Sonata No.9 "Kreutzer"

Amazing performances

Enjoy!

Ed
about this recording, the mic amp had been upgraded , I add 16 caps more to the amp in by pass position each position not only one cap is carry two more smaller value cap for more signal go through , tubes are 1950's we 300b and we 437a. if you have chance to compare the analogue version (tape) with before recording ,you will find the big different in quality of sound, even the digital version ( direct copy from master tape from ED) also has the big improve too.
tony

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
last night i was doing a vinyl session and decided to throw on a tape, so grabbed one of Ed's UltraAnalog classical tapes (from 2013) i had not played in a long time. on my ANKO ATR/MR-70 it was fantastic. the whole tape was outstanding, loved the lively they are here musical engagement, but the double bass on the Rossini Duo set a new standard for suspension of disbelief in my room. it took the top off. had to be a perfect recording set-up. i'm still affected this morning by the experience. thanks @Edward Pong.

IMG_0975.jpeg

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Ultra Analog tapes are very good. I wish he would branch out to larger ensembles. Like 10 or 12 piece.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Ultra Analog tapes are very good. I wish he would branch out to larger ensembles. Like 10 or 12 piece.
he needs to stay in his lane. larger groups up the costs and risks for Ed. i appreciate that he is able to offer these tapes and it works for him. and the quality of the performances and recordings is the thing to me.

i do agree that more classical original tape recordings is a desirable thing, and larger ensembles opens up the choices. actually what i would prefer would be String Quartets or Quintets on tape with Ed's level of quality. that is my most enjoyed music type. and hope that happens somewhere. but i also want Ed to be able to sustain what he is doing. i don't take it for granted.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
There are pretty good string quartet out there. The business end gets in the way of the art being available.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ive known ed since he first started Ultrananalogue. I have almost all of his tapes and I can say that they are second to none . The production which goes into Ed's tapes is using the best equipment and IIRC some modded tube microphones. Ed searches the world for his talent and has helped to make super stars out of them

Ed is passionate about what he does. There is IMO no one his equal in tape production music

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
There are pretty good string quartet out there. The business end gets in the way of the art being available.
most active successful String Quartets are very busy and already hooked up to recording contracts, so doing small scale tape sessions is likely not an easy thing to get done. but if someone can connect the dots i would love that, and subscribe to a tape series if the quality of performance and recording is high.

but guys like Ed with the vision and passion for tape and the knowledge to pull it off are not out there. he is a unicorn.

i have less than zero interest in any tape remastered digitally recorded string quartet pieces. so unless it's done all in never mind.

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
last night i was doing a vinyl session and decided to throw on a tape, so grabbed one of Ed's UltraAnalog classical tapes (from 2013) i had not played in a long time. on my ANKO ATR/MR-70 it was fantastic. the whole tape was outstanding, loved the lively they are here musical engagement, but the double bass on the Rossini Duo set a new standard for suspension of disbelief in my room. it took the top off. had to be a perfect recording set-up. i'm still affected this morning by the experience. thanks @Edward Pong.

View attachment 116046
Mike,
I'm so happy your recent tape playback changes have given you a new ear/vision into the sound on my tapes! Bravo to you!
Thank you for your kind words!
Honestly, your comments here have hit the nail, right on the head!
I understand people always want something else or more, however, I know the limitations of space in my home, where it's not possible to have 10-12 performers!

My focus from the beginning was to record some of the top soloists/artists on the international concert circuits, since only they can give the most passionate performances, I love to hear again & again.
In this tape, Jeff Beecher is the principal bass player of the Toronto Symphony, but he was at this time, the bass player in YoYo Ma's Silkroad Ensemble! It doesn't get any better than this! And this 10 yeas ago.

This focus has brought the likes of Alena Baeva, Narek Hakhnazaryan & Vadym Kholodenko to record for me! These are 3 of the top current touring soloists in the world & regularly play in the major concert halls in the world. In classical music, performance is everything. A great sounding recording of a lack luster performance is worse than useless.

For all of those who want to hear more than duos, I'd really recommend you try the Mendelssohn Piano Trio tape with all three of these soloists. I believe it is the absolute best performance & sound possible...
Here is David Denyer's review: https://thereeltoreelrambler.com/20...-d-minor-op-49-from-ultraanalogue-recordings/

On another note, Tony & I just finished a tape amp using the WE300b, with all silver transformers! Mike, as you found with your new tape amps, they make all the difference in the sound you hear... As good as the WE437a based tape amp was, this WE300b amp takes everything to another level...

Thank you for your encouragement & I hope you continue to enjoy the music!

Ed

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Steve,
I still have the Hi-Res digital files from before but have not uploaded the concerts from last Nov till now.
I'm going to use this new 300b tape stage to make those transfers... I've been testing it & it's ready now!
It's like getting a phono stage for LPs! Exciting!
Ed

Reactions: Steve Williams

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
most active successful String Quartets are very busy and already hooked up to recording contracts, so doing small scale tape sessions is likely not an easy thing to get done. but if someone can connect the dots i would love that, and subscribe to a tape series if the quality of performance and recording is high.

but guys like Ed with the vision and passion for tape and the knowledge to pull it off are not out there. he is a unicorn.

i have less than zero interest in any tape remastered digitally recorded string quartet pieces. so unless it's done all in never mind.
Mike,
Before the pandemic I was discussing with the New Orford String Quartet to come play a concert with recordings. Schubert's Death & the Maiden, Dvorak Quartet No.12 - American. The virus wrecked everything...
I know Jonathan Crow & Andrew Wan, concertmasters of the Toronto & Montreal Symphonies. I may have to start that conversation again... will let you know if it happens!
Ed

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,
Before the pandemic I was discussing with the New Orford String Quartet to come play a concert with recordings. Schubert's Death & the Maiden, Dvorak Quartet No.12 - American. The virus wrecked everything...
I know Jonathan Crow & Andrew Wan, concertmasters of the Toronto & Montreal Symphonies. I may have to start that conversation again... will let you know if it happens!
Ed
fingers crossed it happens. i'm on board.

the potential of tape with that type of intimate across the soundstage energy and your process is exciting to me.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
got a new tape from Ultra Analog Recordings, the Mendelssohn Piano Trio No.1, and it hits it out of the park. this one is done with a new 300b based amp and maybe has the best sonorous tonality and timbre of any recording i've heard, along with beautiful delicate playing and flow. i was taken with the transparency of the instruments as they have that ease and speed of something live and alive. i've listened to it 4 times so far.

tone...tone...tone....

this is a must have for classical tape lovers. a demo tape of the highest order.

i asked @Edward Pong about how this tape sounds so good and he filled me in on some details.

.......So in this recording, there were 1956 NOS WE437a & WE300b tubes in the microphone pre-amp. Now this tape copy was made using another pair of NOS 1956 WE300b in the tape stage. It has all silver transformers & silver/gold Mundorf caps. So I think this is really the best signal path we can dream up!

The music is amazing & the performance by Alena, Narek & Vadym can stand against any in the mainstream music world. All 3 are top soloists with international careers...

I'm glad you liked the tone & textures of the string instruments. I think with this 300b amp everything is more resolved & you can hear much deeper into the recording & the space. The coughs are more defined & laid bare...

Here's an interesting tid bit on this Trio recording.

This is the sound of the father & son of instruments.... the cello Narek is playing was made in 1707 by Andrea Guarneri who was the father of Guarneri del Gesu. Alena is playing a 1738 del Gesu.
Del Gesu was the most famous of the Guarneri family & his violins rival Strads & are even more rare. 600 Strads exit today vs 148 del Gesus... Strad lived till 93 & made violins constantly. Del Gesu was a drunk & didn't care but his violins have a more "human" tonality than Strads.

Attachments

• IMG_1005.jpeg
    IMG_1005.jpeg
    596.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Edward Pong

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
I have some very exciting news, these past 5 days I had star pianist Vadym Kholodenko at our place for a concert and to record the last 3 Beethoven Piano Sonatas for an LP release. These are all studio recordings made with all the latest Mundorf cap upgrades to the microphone pre-amp.

He played Op.111 in concert on Saturday & although this was recorded with my small camcorder, I think you can see & hear he is the ultimate poet on the piano!

Enjoy

Ed

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing