New Piano Trio Tapes Coming Soon!

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
After 2+ yrs of this pandemic, I was very happy to finally have my dream piano trio concert this past weekend with Alena Baeva, Narek Hakhnarzaryan and Vadym Kholodenko, all winners of the Grand Prize in the top competitions in the world. The Weiniawski, Tchaikovsky and Van Cliburn competitions respectively!

The concert was sold out & it was spectacular! I'm working on 3 tapes from this live concert:

1) Mendelssohn Piano Trio No.1
2) Schubert Nocturno, Beethoven Archduke Trio (Mov't 1&2)
3) Beethoven Archduke Trio (Mov't3&4), Dvorak Humouresque (Encore)

I also recorded many salon pieces with Alena & Vadym which I will use to complete earlier live recordings of the Beethoven Violin Sonatas No. 3 & 4.

These recordings were done using the 1956 NOS WE437a & 1956 NOS WE300b tubes in the microphone preamp which takes the soundscape to a whole other level...
I'm very excited about these tapes as there really is no better music in the classical chamber repertoire. These 3 soloists absolutely brought the music to life!

They will be released soon, on the website! www.ultraanaloguerecordings.com

Ed

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
I'm happy to announce the release of 3 live Piano Trio concert tapes of Alena Baeva, Narek Hakhnazaryan & Vadym Kholodenko on the website:

1) Mendelssohn Piano Trio No.1 https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com...aryan/mendelssohn-piano-trio-no-1-op-49-live/

2)&3) Schubert Nocturne D.897, Beethoven Archduke Trio, Op.97, Dvorak Humouresque https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com...e-schubert-nocturno-d-897-dvorak-humouresque/

2 years ago I recorded live, the Beethoven Violin Sonatas No.3 & 4 with Alena & Vadym, but have been waiting to record some repertoire to fill these 2 tapes. I'm happy to announce I've completed these tapes now:

4) Beethoven Violin Sonata No.3 Op.12 (Live), Schubert Moment Musical No.1,2,3. https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com...-3-op-12-live-schubert-moment-musical-no-123/

5) Beethoven Violin Sonata No.4 Op.23 (Live), Beethoven (arr. Isserlis) Andante & Variations. https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com...no-4-op-23-live-beethoven-andante-variations/

Lastly, I was able to record a Beethoven Ghost Trio with Alena, Narek & Vadym, without audience, which I've paired with 2 wonderful pieces of music:

6) Beethoven Piano Trio No.4, Op.70 No.1 (Ghost), Grieg Violin Sonata No.3 - 2nd Mov't, Bach Gounod Ave Maria.

It's been a 2+ yrs of drought without any new recordings...

I hope you will enjoy some of these. The performances are stunning, with sound to match!

Ed

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Here are 2 more pieces from this Piano Trio Concert:
1) Schubert Nocturne D.897 -
2) Dvorak Humouresque -

Both these pieces are on the Beethoven Archduke Trio double tape:

Enjoy!

Ed

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
I've listened to all three of these most recent tapes from Ed's company and have enjoyed them thoroughly! What is most apparent is the string tone quality, particularly the sound produced by Alena's violin and the richness of Narek's cello. I believe this is what analogue does without comparison, produce realistic sounding stringed instruments. I've played the Mendelssohn piano trio twice and each time I hear more and more wonderful sound. Especially noticeable is the way the violin can come through so clearly in the midst of the piano's sound and joining with the warmth of the cello. As always Ed's choice of musicians, the superb recording techniques and wonderful music selections make this an indispensable collection.

DSC_1177.JPG

mauison0348

Jan 22, 2021
believe this is what analogue does without comparison, produce realistic sounding stringed instruments. I've played the Mendelssohn piano trio twice and each tim
Here are 2 more pieces from this Piano Trio Concert:
1) Schubert Nocturne D.897 -
2) Dvorak Humouresque -

Both these pieces are on the Beethoven Archduke Trio double tape:

Enjoy!

Ed
Fantastic performance and great recordings.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I received my tapes from Ed late last month. I want to comment on pieces, performers and sonics. First, the main feature of the most recent set of tapes is the piano trio. This is the second most important genre of classical chamber music, after the string quartet. Ed had previously released two of Beethoven's piano trios in 2013 and 2014, quite early in his catalogue. They were two of Beethoven's most famous trios - the "Ghost" and the "Archduke". They were performed by a quite good group of young musicians, but not at the level of the current artists. In addition to the two Beethoven trios, Ed also had the current three play the Mendelssohn g minor trio. There were also some shorter pieces which include pieces for piano trio. First comment. These piano trios are at the very top of the piano trio repertoire, equaled only by the two Schubert piano trios, in my estimation.

Second comment. I don't know how Ed is able to get the level of performers he does for his recordings. All three have won first prize in the highest world wide music competitions. First is Russian violinist Alena Baeva, who won the Wieniawski prize for violin (given every five years) in 2001 when she was 16, equaling the feat of Ginette Neveu, who was also 16 when she beat the highly favored 26 year old David Oistrakh in the first Wienawski competition. In 2004, Alena won the Moscow Paganini competition, and then in 2007 won the Sendai competition in Japan. Ukrainian Pianist Vadym Kholodenko was the first prize winner of the Cliburn competition (held every four years) in Texas in 2013 and Sendai competition in 2010, and Armenian cellist Narek Hakhnazaryan won the Tchaikovsky Competition (held every four years) in Moscow in 2011. In addition to solo and concerto performances with major orchestras around the world, all three regularly play chamber music. I saw Alena in 2019 in England, playing the Schumann Violin Concerto and Narek in San Francisco playing with his piano trio.

Third comment. Ed continues to refine his recording set up and the sound of the tapes is extremely life-like. Both the Archduke and Mendelssohn trios were recorded at live performances at Ed's home concert venue. The audience can be heard very occasionally, but it is not at all intrusive. You have an immediate sense of the venue and it does feel like you are in the space. Very enjoyable listening experience.

If you want to start with one tape, I would start with the Mendelssohn piano trio. The Archduke spans over two tapes and includes two short extra pieces, both for piano trio. That would be my pick to start with if you want to go for two tapes. Of course you can get all three, which is what I did.

Larry

vinyl_mike

Jun 17, 2012
Just received the Mendelssohn tape and it is absolutely stunning. I am not a musician nor a knowledgeable student of classical music. For me music is an emotional connection. Music at its best delivers a deep immersive experience and the Mendelssohn tape delivers this in spades. You are drawn into the performance. With the lights out, the performers exist directly in front of you, realistically appearing in the room. The music grabbed me from the first note and held me through the final applause. Ed’s addition of NOS WE437 tubes and other tweaks, seem to capture even more of the delicacy and sweetness of the violin. A soaring achievement!

Reactions: tapepath

Jaycap

Apr 8, 2023
After 2+ yrs of this pandemic, I was very happy to finally have my dream piano trio concert this past weekend with Alena Baeva, Narek Hakhnarzaryan and Vadym Kholodenko, all winners of the Grand Prize in the top competitions in the world. The Weiniawski, Tchaikovsky and Van Cliburn competitions respectively!

The concert was sold out & it was spectacular! I'm working on 3 tapes from this live concert:

1) Mendelssohn Piano Trio No.1
2) Schubert Nocturno, Beethoven Archduke Trio (Mov't 1&2)
3) Beethoven Archduke Trio (Mov't3&4), Dvorak Humouresque (Encore)

I also recorded many salon pieces with Alena & Vadym which I will use to complete earlier live recordings of the Beethoven Violin Sonatas No. 3 & 4.

These recordings were done using the 1956 NOS WE437a & 1956 NOS WE300b tubes in the microphone preamp which takes the soundscape to a whole other level...
I'm very excited about these tapes as there really is no better music in the classical chamber repertoire. These 3 soloists absolutely brought the music to life!

They will be released soon, on the website! www.ultraanaloguerecordings.com

Ed
I was extremely fortunate to be in attendance of this absolutely wonderful concert that Ed worked so hard to organized. The music and the 3 world class musicians were outstanding...simply over the top and unforgettable ! That being said, recently Ed was kind enough to invite my wife and I to his home to listen to the master tapes that he recorded from the concert. I have no words to describe the reproduction....other then 'perfect". The music and the sonic quality swept me right back to the live concert. I closed my eyes in Ed's sound room and it were as if the 3 musicians were in the room playing. This is only the second time that I was first hand witnessing a reproduction that tricked my ears into believing that I was in the middle of a live cocert,. It wasn't a close reproduction...it was an "exact" production and very overwhelming ! Anyone who believes themselves to be somewhat if an 'audiophile'...this is what you target for...a reproduction that is as good as the live music. Bravo Ed !...you have outdone yourself. Thank you for allowing us to share in this experience.

Jay

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing