The Latest Releases From Ultraanalogue Recordings

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Things have been quiet for Ed Pong at Ultraanalogue recordings due to the Covid pandemic and only recently did Ed release his latest tapes. I have to admit that I was somewhat reluctant at first hearing only a piano sonata without accompaniment but knowing the quality put into the recording process by Ed I felt that I had to take. the plunge. I received the tapes about 2 weeks ago but a failing pinch roller on my Studer caused a delay in listening until a new pinch roller could be obtained. I was finally able to listen to these tapes a few times over the past few days and I have to admit that it was a sobering experience to listen to tape as a format having spent most of my listening time recently with my new Horizon paired with the Taiko Extreme. Suffice it to say these tapes are simply marvelous. Vadym Kholodenko is a true master pianist . There have been posts recently about how a piano should sound and what to look for. All I can say is that listening to this man play the piano left me short of breath at the end of each tape. If his hands were his feet he would have run a 2 minute mile. It was incomprehensible to me how this man could move both hands and all 10 fingers so quickly across the keyboard . The ending of the Prokofiev Piano Sonata No. 7 was so dramatic I almost fell off my seat. I know that Ed pays special attention to his recording techniques and these two tapes were no exception. The tone, timbre, dynamics etc were so real that the pianist was in my room a few feet in front of me. It was that real. A better example of how a piano should sound would be difficult to find IMO. I have to admit however that my favorite piece on both tapes was the Skoryk Melody where Vadym Kholodenko is accompanied by violinist Alena Baeva who is simply wonderful to listen to. The harmony between those two instruments was amazing. As always, Ed's tapes were recorded live in front of an audience at his home north of Toronto. I think I own virtually every tape ed has produced and these two recent ones highlight the piano so well that it was a treat to listen to them. This is piano at its very best. As always the music Ed has recorded is completely new to my ears. Hence the reason I listened to those tapes several times. It's too bad there isn't a video to accompany the performance because the rapidity with which he moved his hands and fingers was warp speed. How he could maintain that staccato pace was difficult to imagine. He must have lost 10 pounds in weight after he recorded those two tapes.

As always, kudos to Ed for bringing us the very best of the best. A big thumb's up

IMG_2580.jpeg

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
steve ty for posting this. I’ll buy a few today
I can’t see format or speed
are they 1/4 half track 15 ips ? Sorry if a dumb question ?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
steve ty for posting this. I’ll buy a few today
I can’t see format or speed
are they 1/4 half track 15 ips ? Sorry if a dumb question ?
15 ips 1/2" tape Ed prefers NAB but will also do IEC if asked

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Things have been quiet for Ed Pong at Ultraanalogue recordings due to the Covid pandemic and only recently did Ed release his latest tapes. I have to admit that I was somewhat reluctant at first hearing only a piano sonata without accompaniment but knowing the quality put into the recording process by Ed I felt that I had to take. the plunge. I received the tapes about 2 weeks ago but a failing pinch roller on my Studer caused a delay in listening until a new pinch roller could be obtained. I was finally able to listen to these tapes a few times over the past few days and I have to admit that it was a sobering experience to listen to tape as a format having spent most of my listening time recently with my new Horizon paired with the Taiko Extreme. Suffice it to say these tapes are simply marvelous. Vadym Kholodenko is a true master pianist . There have been posts recently about how a piano should sound and what to look for. All I can say is that listening to this man play the piano left me short of breath at the end of each tape. If his hands were his feet he would have run a 2 minute mile. It was incomprehensible to me how this man could move both hands and all 10 fingers so quickly across the keyboard . The ending of the Prokofiev Piano Sonata No. 7 was so dramatic I almost fell off my seat. I know that Ed pays special attention to his recording techniques and these two tapes were no exception. The tone, timbre, dynamics etc were so real that the pianist was in my room a few feet in front of me. It was that real. A better example of how a piano should sound would be difficult to find IMO. I have to admit however that my favorite piece on both tapes was the Skoryk Melody where Vadym Kholodenko is accompanied by violinist Alena Baeva who is simply wonderful to listen to. The harmony between those two instruments was amazing. As always, Ed's tapes were recorded live in front of an audience at his home north of Toronto. I think I own virtually every tape ed has produced and these two recent ones highlight the piano so well that it was a treat to listen to them. This is piano at its very best. As always the music Ed has recorded is completely new to my ears. Hence the reason I listened to those tapes several times. It's too bad there isn't a video to accompany the performance because the rapidity with which he moved his hands and fingers was warp speed. How he could maintain that staccato pace was difficult to imagine. He must have lost 10 pounds in weight after he recorded those two tapes.

As always, kudos to Ed for bringing us the very best of the best. A big thumb's up

View attachment 97172
Hi Steve,
I'm so glad you enjoyed Vadym's performances.
I'm going to gradually get you into classical chamber music!
Thank you for your great review!

Ed

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
One of your members called "Deepender" is having problems making his post & asked me to post his comments on these 2 new tapes:

"Ed,

This time you’ve outdone yourself.

Just so you know, and for the record, I think your latest two tapes represent the most transparent, demonstrate the widest dynamic range, and possess the most viscerally impactful weight of any recording I’ve listened to in my 50-plus years as an audiophile.

Congratulations and thanks, Ed"

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019

View attachment 97172
Thanks for the post and drawing my attention to Ultra Analog and Ed’s work
As a result, I recently ordered, received and have been enjoying “Prokofiev Four Pieces Op.32 and Prokofiev Piano Sonata No.7 Op.83”

What a spectacular recording and piece of music! Highly recommended and I now have two more cello pieces on the way!

The music and recording are only outdone by the experience of dealing with Ed himself… very responsive, clearly passionate about what he does and just a nice guy.

Finding new and/or young talent, capturing it on tape so we can enjoy it with this fidelity in our homes is something special and I am glad there are folks like Ed out there doing this.
I feel privileged to experience their work and to
support the work they do.

I have a Crown CX822 and a Sonorus Modified Revox PR99 with which to enjoy the tapes

thanks again Steve and Ed

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
Hi Ed,
I had a chance today to listen to both tapes and they are fantastic, you've certainly raised your already amazing sonic bar. The immediacy and clarity of the piano combined with the fantastic transient response are the very best I've ever heard. Then there's the dynamic range and power that never sounds bounded or truncated; it just sounds real. I'm curious where you placed the microphones for this recording?
My wife came downstairs and said, "That sure sounds like a real piano". Her mother was an accomplished amateur pianist and she grew up hearing a live piano. It's the transient response, that ability to reproduce the leading edge without overshooting or ringing and to simultaneously reproduce all the much smaller transients with out burying them, letting them be heard alongside the huge spike of the dominating transient. It would be like a camera system that would let you take a picture of a light house beam with a single lighted candle directly beside it. In your tapes you can hear the vibrating strings, supported by the resonating soundboard and the character of the room reflections all with their proper proportions. Then there is the natural weight of the piano, its solidity and definition and natural body structure that's never captured as well by a record or digital format. Your choice of painstakingly assembled tube electronics and connecting cables and fine tuning the entire recording process all adds up to the best, most realistic, sound anyone's ever captured. You should be extremely happy!
Thank you for all your efforts! I can't wait for the next recording.
Kindest regards, Ken

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019
Two more tapes from Ed
One Violin and the other Cello…both excellent in terms of both sonics and performance.
It is such a privilege to be able to get this close to the music and performers.
As always, it’s a pleasure communicating with Ed throughout the selection, ordering and post sale process and being able to learn about what went into the recording process.
My highest recommendation for both Ed and his recordings!

Meshplate

Dec 27, 2022
Thanks for the post and drawing my attention to Ultra Analog and Ed’s work
As a result, I recently ordered, received and have been enjoying “Prokofiev Four Pieces Op.32 and Prokofiev Piano Sonata No.7 Op.83”

What a spectacular recording and piece of music! Highly recommended and I now have two more cello pieces on the way!

The music and recording are only outdone by the experience of dealing with Ed himself… very responsive, clearly passionate about what he does and just a nice guy.

Finding new and/or young talent, capturing it on tape so we can enjoy it with this fidelity in our homes is something special and I am glad there are folks like Ed out there doing this.
I feel privileged to experience their work and to
support the work they do.

I have a Crown CX822 and a Sonorus Modified Revox PR99 with which to enjoy the tapes

thanks again Steve and Ed
Hello, which does you enjoy more, the PR99 or the Crown? I am debating getting exactly one or the other of these machines, ironically. Thank you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing