Transparency and the sound of a system

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks bonzo. I meant that. If our system played brass exactly as it is live, we would hardly listen to music as much as we are doing now.

It is a question of distance. Some people appreciate row A or even want to feel on the soundstage. Others, such as me, prefer a more distant perspective. I have found that a good preamplifier helps a lot in such approach - it keeps the detail and liveliness at a lower volume.

Reactions: Al M.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I don't think topology is that simple - as I think it depends on if one prefers second or third harmonic distortion.

Many SET lovers think these amps are by far the most "transparent" due to a single pair of output tubes, no crossover distortion, etc. but some of us find huge scoops of second harmonic offensive. OTLs are mostly 3rd harmonic so would attract a different listener.

I think the entire "OTLs" are more transparent simply because they don't have OPTs is too simple and used to justify them vs looking at the whole equation. Remember, they parallel a zillion tubes to get by the OPT situation (often with negative feedback), which in and of itself, is going to have a sound not to mention the choice of tubes is limited as to what they can use. And if OTLs were always a more perfect solution, they wouldn't be the teeny tiny segment of the market they represent.

Reactions: PeterA and Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Very interesting discussion, gents!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It is a question of distance. Some people appreciate row A or even want to feel on the soundstage. Others, such as me, prefer a more distant perspective. I have found that a good preamplifier helps a lot in such approach - it keeps the detail and liveliness at a lower volume.

Does the listener have the choice, or is the listening perspective more or less dictated by the information on the recording?

When listening live, will not a more distant listening perspective lesson the impression of volume, detail and liveliness? I think an immediate or up front listening perspective should not lack detail and liveliness and a more distant listening perspective should sound more distant, less loud, with less detail and sense of liveliness.

I understand that people's tastes are different and they may want the up front listening experience at lower volumes at home, but I have found that a particular recording usually has a fairly narrow range of volume settings with which it sounds best or most convincing. Enjoyment or individual preference is a different matter, surely. I think it is a matter of balance and whether or not the listener wants the sound to seem natural given the listening perspective presented by a particular recording and type of music.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Yes, I think you're right. Would you characterize warmth and haziness as distortion?

I would probably say 'more neutral.' My notion that there is no neutral - no objective or absolute neutral - partially comes from the fact that between, say, the cartridge and speakers there are a whole lot of physical parts whose physicality can't help but shape a signal. Take away two of the most common, namely transformers and capacitors on the output side, and the result would seem to be obvious - and that obviousness pretty much demonstrates the distortive impact those parts can have on sound.

Then you have gear such as Lamm - it has caps and transformers yet its circuit topology yields a sound that is so beguiling; it is so very easy to listen to music through Lamm gear. In direct side by side comparisons both the Atma-Sphere OTL and Lamm M1.2 don't lose that much to each other - imo. The OTL is more articulate, digs deeper into both lows and highs, may actually be a tad harmonically richer - all for the lack of parts, or put differently all from the removal of distortion. Of course none of that changes the compelling character of the Lamm sound.

Sometimes our words create starker contrasts than actual perceptions or 'psychoacoustically enhanced' perceptions. Pin a 'lean' label on a piece of audio equipment and most (not all) will say, "oh no, I don't want that." If someone gives such a characterization, I always ask: what is the antonym? In the case of 'lean', would you rather have 'fat'? When people say Lamm gear is 'dark' , is the contrast 'light'? No, the proper contrast (imo) is 'thin' - dark is the wrong word, though for many it comes first to mind.

That's why I'm thinking more and more in terms of relative amounts of distortion and less of common characterizing terminology. Many of us audiophiles will reflexively shrink back when asked what sort of distortions do we prefer. But maybe that's what is happening, a preference for this or that distortion - a happy distortion.

That sort of approach can get in trouble though when it bumps up against the word 'natural.' Maybe the antonym of natural is 'reproduced.'
Great thoughts, I’d suggest that the antonym for natural could also just be synthetic. The layer of synthesis is in the required translation (ie the mind is also doing extra steps therefore in working towards recognising the sound instrument) whereas that which is heard as natural is perhaps being more immediately perceived as a specific instrument and requiring less additional levels or layers of processing for translation. Less work = less cerebral and more limbic.

Reactions: tima

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't think topology is that simple - as I think it depends on if one prefers second or third harmonic distortion.

Many SET lovers think these amps are by far the most "transparent" due to a single pair of output tubes, no crossover distortion, etc. but some of us find huge scoops of second harmonic offensive. OTLs are mostly 3rd harmonic so would attract a different listener.

I think the entire "OTLs" are more transparent simply because they don't have OPTs is too simple and used to justify them vs looking at the whole equation. Remember, they parallel a zillion tubes to get by the OPT situation (often with negative feedback), which in and of itself, is going to have a sound not to mention the choice of tubes is limited as to what they can use. And if OTLs were always a more perfect solution, they wouldn't be the teeny tiny segment of the market they represent.

It's not what listeners find in an amp, unless you are referring to some blind set lovers who will run SETs on anything. It is what the system does. Set horn systems, or certain SETs based simple systems, or OTL systems, are more transparent to recordings than many cone based systems with push pulls or SS. Is this a function of SETs, of drivers, or simplicity of cross over, or a mix of the above, I do not know. I have run SETs on cones and got no transparency that I got in the same room with orangutans. Push pulls on known transparent horns have also been transparent

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
It's not what listeners find in an amp, unless you are referring to some blind set lovers who will run SETs on anything. It is what the system does. Set horn systems, or certain SETs based simple systems, or OTL systems, are more transparent to recordings than many cone based systems with push pulls or SS. Is this a function of SETs, of drivers, or simplicity of cross over, or a mix of the above, I do not know. I have run SETs on cones and got no transparency that I got in the same room with orangutans. Push pulls on known transparent horns have also been transparent

Sure, amp/speaker matching is critical. I'm just saying the human brain can't be ignored in that decision.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Tim,

As much as I love OTL/OCL in concept, and OTL transparency in practice, I am one of those people who finds OTL to be “lean-sounding.” But I agree with and totally respect Ralph Karsten’s view that, strictly speaking, OTL is not lean-sounding — OTL is neutral-sounding; it is the transformer in a transformer-coupled tube amplifier which adds warmth and haziness.
I don’t really agree here, Ron. A good output transformer that is the right size so it won’t saturate will will not unduly color or obscure transparency. The leanness in most OTLs comes, IMO , from the need for negative feedback in those designs.

Now, I haven’t heard a Joule Electra OTL but word is that they are not lean sounding and they manage without negative feedback. Tenor was also not too lean. Others I have heard and owned (Silvaweld and Trsnscendent Sound) were varying degrees of leanness. Both of mine had around 10-15db of feedback.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I might suggest to all of you to go back in the old issues of TAS and read the great Harry Pearson's explanation of Transparency. He taught eh Industry what it was.
RIP Harry

TAS Apr-May 2001 - Transparency.jpg

Here's Harry Pearson's definition of transparency taken from TAS Apr/May 2001 issue. This happens to be 1 of maybe 10 TAS issues I've saved over the years.

You say HP taught the industry what transparency is, yet his own words seemed to imply that he actually had little knowledge or awareness of it. In fact, HP seemed to be all over the map with his definition of transparency. Oh, well. I still liked his writing style.

IMO, transparency is perhaps best equated to an all-encompassing definition of the word believability. IOW, in my listening room the sum of my ear/brain visualization of the performance overwhelmingly and instinctively supersedes and suppresses the sum of my eye/brain visualization of hardware and listening room boundaries such that my listening perspective is clearly somewhere in the audience of the recording hall influenced by its acoustic space (not my room's) with the performance at a distance on the soundstage.

Reactions: tima

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think the word 'Transparency' is not one that we should be using in this hobby. Transparent to what??

There has never been a recording that could be said to be transparent to the original event, simply because of the recording chain...and what that chain always adds or subtracts to the original event.IMHO.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
View attachment 46799

Here's Harry Pearson's definition of transparency taken from TAS Apr/May 2001 issue. This happens to be 1 of maybe 10 TAS issues I've saved over the years.

You say HP taught the industry what transparency is, yet his own words seemed to imply that he actually had little knowledge or awareness of it. In fact, HP seemed to be all over the map with his definition of transparency. Oh, well. I still liked his writing style.

IMO, transparency is perhaps best equated to an all-encompassing definition of the word believability. IOW, in my listening room the sum of my ear/brain visualization of the performance overwhelmingly and instinctively supersedes and suppresses the sum of my eye/brain visualization of hardware and listening room boundaries such that my listening perspective is clearly somewhere in the audience of the recording hall influenced by its acoustic space (not my room's) with the performance at a distance on the soundstage.

I like this description. As for suppressing visualization of hardware and room boundaries: I like to listen in the dark. With no speakers in sight, the soundstage often seems much larger that way, especially on orchestral music.

For that purpose I bought black-out dots that very much dim the lights of my equipment. And the tubes glow nicely in the dark.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I think the word 'Transparency' is not one that we should be using in this hobby. Transparent to what??

There has never been a recording that could be said to be transparent to the original event, simply because of the recording chain...and what that chain always adds or subtracts to the original event.IMHO.

Agreed. That is why I like the term believability, as also Stehno uses it.

Transparency to the original event, or even to the master tape, is a delusion. That we can impossibly know how the master tape was intended to sound by the recording engineers has been discussed in the beginning pages of the thread.

Reactions: DaveyF and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Yes, it would seem to require an object. And usage seems only relative, not absolute.

I'm still working through this, but I'm uncertain about the HP usage, claiming an awareness of transparency heard during attendance of a live event. How can a live performance be transparent or have the word applied to it as a characteristic?

Perhaps used for comparison between two things: brand X is more transparent than brand Y?

Of what cannot be said must we not remain silent?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Peter,

IMHO if you appreciate Winterreise you must listen to the Peter Pears /Benjamin Britten version on Decca - besides the dramatic interpretation the LP has exceptional recording quality. I have got several versions, but I always come back to this one.

I am loving this version on YouTube, but my LP is quite hard sounding. Will try another or this might be great streamed as well.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
For me transparency is an easy term. I have immediate association with the water.
I like the presentation to be as transparent as the water in a mountain river.
And yes, it must be a bit cold , otherwise it can become muddy.
BTW it’s very difficult to find a proper vocabulary to describe the perception of the sound by human brain.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
For me transparency is an easy term. I have immediate association with the water.
I like the presentation to be as transparent as the water in a mountain river.
And yes, it must be a bit cold , otherwise it can become muddy.
BTW it’s very difficult to find a proper vocabulary to describe the perception of the sound by human brain.

Well that certainly didn't help...

Reactions: Ron Resnick

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I want to express the idea that I rather understand music by associations with other experiences instead of words.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
View attachment 46799

What is interesting here, to stretch the visual analogy, is that something could be colored and STILL have a high degree of transparency. You would only lose transparency in the event that something you are looking at was MASKED by the color of the glass you are looking through. I have heard situations where the overall presentation was highly transparent and all images, space etc. were well resolved but there was a pervasive coloration to the tonality. If that tonality is caused by simple linear distortion (i.e. frequency response errors) then it may not have any impact on transparency whatsover (like the AudioStatic ES100s or STAX ELS F-81s, which were über transparent...but tonal balance was not neutral) but if it is from cabinet resonance, driver break up etc. then there is a situation where the distortion is masking the intended frequencies and this may impact the ability to hear "into" the music. Noise-floor of a speaker will also impact this "hear into" quality greatly.

For electronics, it has a lot to do with noise floor and signal CORREALTED noise floor. If the noise floor is being impacted by distortion components that cause the rise and fall with level, this will negatively impact transparency.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
For electronics, it has a lot to do with noise floor and signal CORREALTED noise floor. If the noise floor is being impacted by distortion components that cause the rise and fall with level, this will negatively impact transparency.

Yes, that is one of the practical problems of lesser digital, and of digital jitter. There is a signal correlated noise floor.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing