Toward a Better WBF…

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel conciliatory changes would really go a long way to improving things. I believe as E says, "it is the same people saying the same thing hoping for a different result.I believe Lee had good intentions and meant no offense to anyone. I really believe if we all paused before we hit the post button and ask ourselves if our post is informational or inciteful. Every member here brings something different to the table. I believe opinions are just that and as the saying goes "refute the post and not the poster"this would be the single biggest improvement here but alas, I feel I am pipe dreaming. wWe all hear differently and we all have different systems and we therefore bring something different to the table. Because someone disagrees with that premise is no reason for someone to post a mean comment. To me it shines badly on the poster and many times results in online fighting. Surely we are all grown men and are talking about a hobby that which we all enjoy. Different strokes for different folks IMO is n o reason. to crap on that person. There are better ways to disagree and when done I believe comments such as the ones I just made would hopefully go away. Ansd once again these are just my thoughts and have zero to do with moderation as I have no idea what the mods are moderating. Ron and I are never consulted as we have complete confidence in our mods.

Well said.

Even if we disagree, we may learn something from discussing different viewpoints. I certainly learned something reading Brad's posts and talking to John.

I believe that I have never suggested this as a statement of fact or as a matter of general applicability or as any kind of objective truth. I believe that I limit explicitly my view on this to the idiosyncrasy of my own ears. I invariably write something like "Lampizator just works for me." (emphasis added)

Also, Hugh will tell you that we joke around a lot because he and my friend Jimmy have MSB and I have dCS. We're all good friends and we make fun of each other. I will say something to Hugh like, "the Kodos sound great in spite of your MSB DAC..."

Of course the Select 2 is one of the great DACs. The joking just lightens the mood.

Maybe the old adage that you only give grief to the ones you love is true.

Lol, in that case I am one of the most loved members here.

• Haha
Reactions: dcathro and Bobvin
Reactions: Lee
all it is is a little Monday morning jousting. nothing serious. this is a place we don't have to act like grown men.
I trust that Ron and Steve will make sure it doesn't devolve into Lord of the Flies for Men of a Certain Age.

• Haha
Reactions: Lee
I trust that Ron and Steve will make sure it doesn't devolve into Lord of the Flies for Men of a Certain Age.

Desert Islands are more easily accounted for in this hobby than drum circles on the mainland. :p

In any case, I'd place WBF firmly in the category of survivors capable of arranging amongst themselves when to hit the lip on an incoming wave to escape in company with their respective desires outside of situational circumstances. A few mouths gritty with sand, sure.

• Haha
Reactions: PYP
It would be great if people used their real names on all forums, comment sections and the like,
And help the FBI and IRS ? ;)

I agree E

its always passive aggressive statements such as this that I put members in my ignore list

statements such as these soft lobs at a member serve only to incite IMHO
Ked might not be of direct dollar value, the way big brands with advertising are, but he always makes WBF more interesting ! :)

Reactions: dcathro
Microstrip and he are chatting cordially patting each other on the back about Wilson and dCS.

In fact, about a lot more than you seem to see ... ;)

i appreciate micro's Wilson love, but also Ked's Wilson 'not-love'. (...)

I should remember that I have shown similar feelings and writings for top Sonus Faber, SoundLab, Magico and the Quad ESL63 - curiously people do not feel so disturbed by these brands, I was less active on them.

Anyway, I feel that "non-love" in an extremely subjective hobby is too radical sport and can easily become an hate affair.

Disclaimer - the brands I have more experience are surely those who have or had proper distribution in my country since long.

Vandersteen 3A Signatures, Spectral pre amp (soon to be replaced by a SMc Audio TLC 2 being made for me), SMc Audio rebuilt DNA 1 amp with gravity base system, Schiit Audio Yggy LIM DAC. A VPI mark 4 turntable with rewired Kuzma Stogie arm and Cleaf audio cart. Mostly AQ interconnects and all power cords and power distribution by Essential Sound Products ES Pro line. Have an Oppo BD player as a transport with the Schiit Urd arriving in a couple of weeks for evaluation. Digital files played back via a 2022 MacBook Pro with the M1 chip using Audirvana Studio and a DHL labs USB C to B cable. Hope that helps fellas. Oh and a dedicated listening space. The room is 50% of the equation. I get stuff that I enjoy that provide value and sound that I like. Not into keeping up with the Joneses.

I should remember that I have shown similar feelings and writings for top Sonus Faber, SoundLab, Magico and the Quad ESL63 - curiously people do not feel so disturbed by these brands, I was less active on them.

Anyway, I feel that "non-love" in an extremely subjective hobby is too radical sport and can easily become an hate affair.

Disclaimer - the brands I have more experience are surely those who have or had proper distribution in my country since long.

Indeed, members here forget I did a widely viewed video where I said a particular Magico speaker was the best I have heard. :)

Wow, it must be the summer doldrums or the summer heat getting to everyone. Compared to Audiogon, WBF is outstanding. I have learned so much and heed the advice of many. I once gave a review of the Lampi Pacific on Audiogon and I got chastised by many members who thought it was an elitist product. It got so bad, I asked the moderator to just take the thread down. On audiogon you say black and others say white. It is a joke sometimes.

Are there times when people on WBF are insistent that they are right or know it all? Sure, but it rarely happens at least on the threads that I read.

There are certain threads like Lampi Horizon or the Taiko thread where people feel super strong about their product. I would hope a dissenting opinion would be met with class or civility.

I love WBF and what it offers and am very grateful that I found it a couple of years ago. the only problem is that my wife does not agree with how much time I spend on it...LOL

Vandersteen 3A Signatures, Spectral pre amp (soon to be replaced by a SMc Audio TLC 2 being made for me), SMc Audio rebuilt DNA 1 amp with gravity base system, Schiit Audio Yggy LIM DAC. A VPI mark 4 turntable with rewired Kuzma Stogie arm and Cleaf audio cart. Mostly AQ interconnects and all power cords and power distribution by Essential Sound Products ES Pro line. Have an Oppo BD player as a transport with the Schiit Urd arriving in a couple of weeks for evaluation. Digital files played back via a 2022 MacBook Pro with the M1 chip using Audirvana Studio and a DHL labs USB C to B cable. Hope that helps fellas. Oh and a dedicated listening space. The room is 50% of the equation. I get stuff that I enjoy that provide value and sound that I like. Not into keeping up with the Joneses.

That's good. More people should list their systems at least on their 'about' page.
That would make FWB better.

Reactions: Wavetouch
I think people will be less confrontational when their real names are used.

Very possibly. All I know for sure is that it's hard enough to remember one name, let alone two names!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing