Thinking about starting a YouTube channel on high end audio.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Been considering this for a while but I am looking at all angles and doing some research. If I do, I would love for members here to find the videos useful…

Would you support a YouTube channel from me on high end audio?

What aspects of audio would you like for me to cover?

Reactions: hogen and DennisH

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Another way to ask the question is, “what do you think is missing from the current YouTube channels?”

Reactions: tima

2fastdriving

Jan 19, 2023
The guys who are doing a pretty good job at reviewing on YT are doing lower end stuff. The guys doing higher end stuff are not doing real "reviews", they are just playing with gear and telling us their random thoughts. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd like to see something a little more review-specific where the variables are controlled a bit, and the gear is discussed in relation to other similar products. With regard to the variables, I think it's important to establish a reference system that doesn't change radically every few weeks. Otherwise, how can we know what you are really hearing? If you can work in some binaural mics, that would be pretty cool. Another thing I appreciate is doing interviews with industry leaders like Ron is doing with his channel.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The guys who are doing a pretty good job at reviewing on YT are doing lower end stuff. The guys doing higher end stuff are not doing real "reviews", they are just playing with gear and telling us their random thoughts. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd like to see something a little more review-specific where the variables are controlled a bit, and the gear is discussed in relation to other similar products. With regard to the variables, I think it's important to establish a reference system that doesn't change radically every few weeks. Otherwise, how can we know what you are really hearing? If you can work in some binaural mics, that would be pretty cool. Another thing I appreciate is doing interviews with industry leaders like Ron is doing with his channel.
Excellent points. Thank you.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Been considering this for a while but I am looking at all angles and doing some research. If I do, I would love for members here to find the videos useful…

I would watch if it is useful and high quality. Depends on the purpose of the channel. People talking at me needs to be very very good, otherwise I prefer to read. Shorter is better for talking. Longer needs time indexing to specific topics. How-to videos can justify the format. In room video of a system playing a piece of music compared to another in room video of a different system, same music with commentary on specific passages and how/why they are different might be interesting.

Reactions: MadFloyd and Lee

audioguy3107

Jul 30, 2018
Atlanta, Ga
Hi Lee, IMHO, I would take a look at Teddy Baldassare's YouTube channel and how he approaches the watch industry, he covers things like industry news, reviews, interviews with collectors, trips to factories and such. I think he comes across as very likeable, professional and knowledgeable all at the same time. I don't want to turn this into another Jay thread, but I think of his videos when I see anything posted by Jay, I think if Jay's stuff was more on the professional side it would serve him well. Peruse some of Teddy's videos in different settings, that's the kind of content I'd be looking for...company histories, up close & reviews in depth etc. Perhaps visits to audiophiles homes to review/show of their systems, it would be a really interesting channel.

- Buck

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Hi Lee, IMHO, I would take a look at Teddy Baldassare's YouTube channel and how he approaches the watch industry, he covers things like industry news, reviews, interviews with collectors, trips to factories and such. I think he comes across as very likeable, professional and knowledgeable all at the same time. I don't want to turn this into another Jay thread, but I think of his videos when I see anything posted by Jay, I think if Jay's stuff was more on the professional side it would serve him well. Peruse some of Teddy's videos in different settings, that's the kind of content I'd be looking for...company histories, up close & reviews in depth etc. Perhaps visits to audiophiles homes to review/show of their systems, it would be a really interesting channel.

- Buck
I have been watching his videos for three years. Big fan. Also watch his wife Courtney’s channel.

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
Lee, you will be trashed if you start a YouTube channel. We are in a mode of holding people accountable for supporting MQA. There is a critical mass of people who resent your promotion MQA and nobody to told them back.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

Sounds to me everything has been said and done already in audio reproduction

I would not focus on audiophilia / hocus pocus but more on manufacturer workshop visits / interviews with manufacturers that sort of thing

Last edited:

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Another way to ask the question is, “what do you think is missing from the current YouTube channels?”
People who actually know how to review. Most of them are wanna-be reviewers with a 12 word vocabulary.

They have near zero technical background, so all they can do is recite the brochure in their videos, then use that 12 word vocabulary of theirs to describe what they're hearing.

As far as "Jay" that you're talking about, I don't know which you're referring to. The one from Canada is alright and tolerable and a nice, down to earth guy, the other one is an arrogant tool. Unfortunately, I run into him every year I go to the Florida Audio Expo, which means I'll end up seeing him again here in a couple weeks... Joy.

The Jay from Canada, I ran into him last year at the Expo and he was a pleasant guy. His reviews have more substance to them than the other Jay, that's for sure.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I would not focus on audiophilia / hocus pocus but more on manufacturer workshop visits / interviews with manufacturers that sort of thing

Lee, would this be in concert with WBF video efforts, or your independent thing? Ron is doing Masters and Makers and someday perhaps visits. IMO, it is becoming a crowded space. Value will depend on content and delivery. I might be interested in system visits of unusual efforts, but the owner must be receptive which is a challenge. Get Bonzo on camera.

Reactions: Lee

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Lee, would this be in concert with WBF video efforts, or your independent thing? Ron is doing Masters and Makers and someday perhaps visits. IMO, it is becoming a crowded space. Value will depend on content and delivery. I might be interested in system visits of unusual efforts, but the owner must be receptive which is a challenge. Get Bonzo on camera.

Are you talking to Lee or me
You quote me but talk to Lee :)

1707240166886.png

Reactions: wil

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
People who actually know how to review. Most of them are wanna-be reviewers with a 12 word vocabulary.

They have near zero technical background, so all they can do is recite the brochure in their videos, then use that 12 word vocabulary of theirs to describe what they're hearing.

As far as "Jay" that you're talking about, I don't know which you're referring to. The one from Canada is alright and tolerable and a nice, down to earth guy, the other one is an arrogant tool. Unfortunately, I run into him every year I go to the Florida Audio Expo, which means I'll end up seeing him again here in a couple weeks... Joy.

The Jay from Canada, I ran into him last year at the Expo and he was a pleasant guy. His reviews have more substance to them than the other Jay, that's for sure.

? I don’t recall mentioning Jay. I know both Jay Caceras and Jay Lee.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Yet another YouTube Audiophile channel !!! Well reading post number 4 it would appear that you would require , at the very least , the personal endorsement of @tima in order to be deemed worthy ;)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Yet another YouTube Audiophile channel !!! Well reading post number 4 it would appear that you would require , at the very least , the personal endorsement of @tima in order to be deemed worthy ;)

Lol, I have already arranged to send a pallet of cash to Tim.

• Haha
Reactions: tima

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

No doubt a lot has been done but I have a few ideas on how to differentiate the channel a good bit.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing