Ron Resnick Launches Audio Cafe LLC, a New Clarisys Audio Dealer

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Brad, Lloyd,

It's not that simple. I can't just casually double up on reproduction of 200Hz and down. (Which is not to say I didn't try precisely this at a low volume setting on the woofer towers just for fun!)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What is the cutoff level of the towers? Presume you could start by running them in parallel and cutting them off around 35hz-45hz depending on your room, Auditoriums?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
What is the cutoff level of the towers? Presume you could start by running them in parallel and cutting them off around 35hz-45hz depending on your room, Auditoriums?
Its Studio Plus model not Auditoriums afaik

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Gryphon woofer towers have no cross-over frequency adjustment.

• Sad
Reactions: morricab

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have Studio Plus, the middle-sized model.
Yes...I was just sticking to my original observation that Auditoriums plus Gryphon sub towers could prove to be an ideal configuration for you.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting...so if you did decide to experiment you would need to introduce a crossover. Got it.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What's preventing it?

I don't own them; I haven't bought them; I haven't borrowed them; they are not in my house; I have bigger fish to fry presently.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
That's correct maties! Ron has bigger fish to fry... he's busy packing up the Pendragon's... those big fishies are frying!

Once all done, let me know I'll come over with a bottle of wine. I prefer salmon though grilled that is.

I'm just kidding Ron, don't mean to be poopy... I'm reading all this with much enthusiasm and always learning how high performance systems are improving. One thing I'm looking forward to is seeing a nice pair of Clarisys speakers in your listening room, that you'll be the proud owner of one fine day. Looks like a work of Art, indeed!

Woofty woof'n!
RJ

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
More crushed pyramid slaves hauling the Pendragons out and the toe stubbing mono blocks in? Being a dealer must have some kind of elaborate casualty insurance.

• Haha
Reactions: Pokey77 and Lagonda

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
one wonders about whether perfect bass tower integration with your Gryphon's might have changed your Clarisys path? might it have 'filled in' any high frequency issues in your room? i know how it worked for me, when i attained bass integration 'singularity' everything gelled.

there were many posts 3-4 years ago addressing proper bass tower integration thinking and approaches to crossovers, preamps, and such things. foretelling of this situation.

mostly great music reproduction performance comes down to bass integration and frequency balance. you got it, or you don't got it. sure there are different driver types and matters of taste, but musical rightness needs balance. or the magic is missing. and we keep searching.

and when lower octaves are concerned, sins of omission are preferred. but the better the deep bass, the more complete and natural are the highs.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My own humble opinion is any fault was probably Pendragon bass tower integration, not ribbon related. All of the solutions were pursued through the ribbons.

Although the preamp was tubed, a nice 300b line buffer would have done nicely to the bass towers. As mentioned, the towers would still have some localizable sound at their frequency crossover, and proper bedding of the upper bass and lower midrange with the midrange ribbon can be key to the warmth and success of the integration.

Reactions: morricab

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Eulogies for the Pendragons are pre-mature. I simply wanted to hear the Studio Pluses in the better acoustic location.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing