Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
And so?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
We all know this. What is your point Vis a Vis real time hearing'? Have you?

Reactions: mtemur

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
We all know this. What is your point Vis a Vis real time hearing'? Have you?

I have, and have found the direct to disc process to be the truest of all currently available formats.

Direct metal masters are more comparible to carefully made master tapes.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Cool!

Please indicate the release you speak of. I am a former owner of a ( lacquer ) VMS70 and know many of these machines....

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
On which machine?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Do you know where you where?

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Do you know where you where?

Again, these were private test involving distinguished members of the audio and recording industry. No names or locations will be divulged!

I was an audio inventor and engineer for several decades. My hearing acuity was especially revered.

I invented a replacement for vinyl records. The technical description for this invention is a full spectrum, frequency-modulated optical analog disc format (12" laserdisc).

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I have, and have found the direct to disc process to be the truest of all currently available formats.

This is a very interesting observation. Only the VMS82 is capable of cutting DMM, but many of these have been converted to cut lacquer.
If you want to hear what a DMM dubplate sounds like, and don't mind the expense, Stockfish has these for sale. https://www.stockfisch-records.de/pages_art/sf12_dmmdp.html

Reactions: mtemur

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
OK @SoundMann all is good. You brought it up yet you wont specify. Apparently you may be one of the few to hear a live event simultaneously captured to DMM and lacquer. Nice for you

Reactions: bonzo75 and mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019

Is it possible that you're confused? Which is compared to which, direct to disc, direct metal mastering, master tape, regular lacquer cutting? Under what circumstances and how?

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Is it possible that you're confused?

No.

Which is compared to which, direct to disc, direct metal mastering, master tape, regular lacquer cutting? Under what circumstances and how?

A live, unamplified performance was the reference which all suitable recording formats were compared against.

DMM and conventional lacquer was never directly compaired in the tests above, which left studio quality analog tape, custom made direct to disc pressings and studio quality DAT as the test sources.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
DMM and conventional lacquer was never directly compaired in the tests above,
They're compared many times on various albums from the same source and usually records from lacquer are better. This is how the test should be done and this is what interest us cause we buy records. DMM is a 80's technology when most things went side ways like rock bands with permed hair and makeup, Cd's instead of vinyl records, plastic boomboxes instead of proper equipment, Yamaha DX7 synthesizer on every album instead of proper bass, drum, etc. Like all those premature 80's technology DMM can be perceived as a technological breakthrough but it sounds worse.

P.S. Being an 80's technology Cd hasn't fought with vinyl until recently. There has been a war between them in 2010's not in 80's. The format war in the 80's was between vinyl and cassette. People ditched vinyl for the convenience of cassette in the 80's. How tragic. Later in 2000's cassette lost to Cd and Cd-R or even mp3. When we talk about crap technology in 80's, cassette on it's prime is a better example IMHO.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I invented a replacement for vinyl records. The technical description for this invention is a full spectrum, frequency-modulated optical analog disc format (12" laserdisc).
I did hear about this, or something similar. You must have been very young when you conceived of it, based on your age in bio.

Too bad this did not come to fruition. Could have been amazing ( in theory at least ). Were any prototype discs made?

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
I did hear about this, or something similar. You must have been very young when you conceived of it, based on your age in bio.

December '74, I was 6 years old. I grew up in the audio and music industries.

Most of my original inventions were theorized between '74 and '78.

Too bad this did not come to fruition. Could have been amazing ( in theory at least ). Were any prototype discs made?

Yes. But unfortunately, no working prototypes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing