Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha
Reactions: XV-1 and djsina2

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Well the Malaysian purchaser paid in full 1 year in advance . He was pissed . Now he is happy . So good luck to u

Paid in full one year in advance? That does not seem reasonable. Glad he is happy now. Did they produce any of the large Apolyte tables beyond the prototype? That thing is huge. I wonder what it sounds like.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
what did you think about how it performed to the degree you can tell in a show?
show conditions with speakers I do not like, from there nothing to say...

I am still interested into this turntable, so I will find a better opportunity to listen

Last edited:

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU

i think, these are just pictures from the factory and audio shows, and he doesn’t have an A*Stellar on his own. (maybe not yet, who knows) But he uses many other Acoustical System products in his collection.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Paid in full one year in advance? That does not seem reasonable. Glad he is happy now. Did they produce any of the large Apolyte tables beyond the prototype? That thing is huge. I wonder what it sounds like.
The photo from a Taiwan site my-hiend.com. Great site . Owner aka General. Great stuff

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpeg
    IMG_2165.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 83

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I wonder if this thinking is incorporated in this new turntable. I also wonder if the motor is mounted on the base layer for isolation from the magnetically levitated platter and pneumatically levitated arm platform. It is interesting hat he uses both magnets and air for isolation rather than one approach for both the platter and arm platform?
AFAIK from Munich show interview video, both bearing and tonearm bases mounted on the same platform just like almost all other turntables. That platform is pneumatically isolated from the lower platform which carries motor. So, it is no different than other turntables. AFAIK there is no pneumatic or any kind of isolation between main bearing assembly and arm board which is standard for almost all turntables and how it should be. The main difference between recent designs is magnetically or pneumatically levitated platter.

BTW weight of the platter is not totally levitated but reduced to a very small amount, just like Esoteric, Continuum, La Platine Verdier etc does and how it should be. This one has a different approach on using magnets. I really wonder how it sounds.

thekong

May 10, 2012
BTW weight of the platter is not totally levitated but reduced to a very small amount, just like Esoteric, Continuum, La Platine Verdier etc does and how it should be. This one has a different approach on using magnets. I really wonder how it sounds.

My understanding from the video is that there are actually two sets of magnets in the bearing system. The first set is to levitate (ie, repulsion) the platter, but not sure whether it is slightly less, or even slightly above, the platter’s weight. The second set of magnets is to load (ie. attraction) the bearing, so as to keep a constant force on the bearing.

If my understanding is correct, I am not sure wether it has any advantage over the system used by Verdier and Continuum!

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
My understanding from the video is that there are actually two sets of magnets in the bearing system. The first set is to levitate (ie, repulsion) the platter, but not sure whether it is slightly less, or even slightly above, the platter’s weight. The second set of magnets is to load (ie. attraction) the bearing, so as to keep a constant force on the bearing.

If my understanding is correct, I am not sure wether it has any advantage over the system used by Verdier and Continuum!
That's also what I understood.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Workmanship could have been better . Top plate of air pump / power supply is flimsy. Massive turntable . The bottom 2 chassis air floated. Top 2 chassis magnetically floated .
Soundwise v quiet & buttery smooth to my ears . v polite sounding which could be attributed to various factors in this uniquely open room without back wall & non symmetrical construction of side walls

Attachments

• 8ca28a55-f4ed-4aeb-b00d-f4d3cd64c144.jpeg
    8ca28a55-f4ed-4aeb-b00d-f4d3cd64c144.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2201.jpeg
    IMG_2201.jpeg
    896.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2206.jpeg
    IMG_2206.jpeg
    951.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2203.jpeg
    IMG_2203.jpeg
    761.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2195.jpeg
    IMG_2195.jpeg
    593.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2192.jpeg
    IMG_2192.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia

That’s what the distributor explained to me

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Workmanship could have been better . Top plate of air pump / power supply is flimsy. Massive turntable . The bottom 2 chassis air floated. Top 2 chassis magnetically floated .
Soundwise v quiet & buttery smooth to my ears . v polite sounding which could be attributed to various factors in this uniquely open room without back wall & non symmetrical construction of side walls

Many thanks for the feedback.

Were other sources in the room also ‘polite’?

Did it sound over damped? Bass impact? Weight? Sparkle in the mids? Lots of space?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Did it sound over damped? Bass impact? Weight? Sparkle in the mids? Lots of space?

it this is newly set up we have to wait a few months no? Also what cartridge was on it

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia

Not too familiar with the syst . Just describing what I heard . Bass wise Coltrane 3 is superb . All Vitus - MPL/MPP/ MPS , Palladian catridge on Axiom. All silver DIY cables. I would expect it to be a lot more dynamic

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
it this is newly set up we have to wait a few months no? Also what cartridge was on it
Bear in mind the room has an open back all the way to his kitchen / dining area .. easily 40/50 ft. He has to cranked up his vol to 0 at 72db. On my MPP.. I will listen to my set up at -13/15db / 67-70db & it sounded much louder

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing