The Digital Director - A new MSB product improving everything from the source to the output

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The Mono And Stereo 2023 Editors Choice Award :

editor choice.png

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Wow I wonder why he does not get an implant placed.
Bro why would you make such a comment in a forums. geez what’s wrong with you man.
I know him and have met him in person a very kind and smart man.
In fact at axpona his room was amazing
on magico speakers the rest was there stuff. just blew my teeth out maybe this is what happened to him. but jokes aside not cool to say and the room was excellent.
be kind to all atleast on forums you are making it personal.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
His transport played a cd while I was there what a sound. magico done right wish they had the Krell and Msb in the estolon room like last year. The moment I walked in last year it was Msb heaven and the new old looking Krell was super too. Great looking speakers

Reactions: Young Skywalker

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...a bit of a drive, but I will finally pick up a Reference DD for a demo tomorrow. I did the dac firmware today. Any gotchas or best practice not described in the info on the MSB site page? Any tips/guidance appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: Armsan and ICUToo

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
...a bit of a drive, but I will finally pick up a Reference DD for a demo tomorrow. I did the dac firmware today. Any gotchas or best practice not described in the info on the MSB site page? Any tips/guidance appreciated. Thanks.
The chief editor of Audionet of Taiwan reviewd the MSB Reference DD.
A rave review!
Please read with google translate.

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
Hi divertiti: DAC is a Reference.
Listening impressions, as best I can express them, are still to come. I will finally be able to listen to the DAC again starting early next week. Can’t wait!
Any thoughts to share, Popspin?

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I am going to make a shameless plug here. The money you save purchasing my mint condition MSB Select II DAC from the Seller Forum here on WBF will cover the cost of the Select Digital Director and still leave you money left over. I will hand deliver to anyone within a 400 mile radius of New York City or ship anywhere in the Contiguous USA. PM me for further details.

Thanks,
Ken

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I am going to make a shameless plug here. The money you save purchasing my mint condition MSB Select II DAC from the Seller Forum here on WBF will cover the cost of the Select Digital Director and still leave you money left over. I will hand deliver to anyone within a 400 mile radius of New York City or ship anywhere in the Contiguous USA. PM me for further details.

Thanks,
Ken
Now that is one awesome deal!

Reactions: Alpinist

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015

Thanks,
Ken
why selling?

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
why selling?
My wife and I recently purchased a retirement townhouse in Colorado and I will need to significantly downsize my audio system to fit in the new place. The Select II DAC is the finest audiophile component I have owned by a long shot in 30 years of enjoying high end audio.

Ken

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
Any thoughts to share, Popspin?
I first heard the DD at the FL Audio Expo in Vince’s room. I made arrangements to get one. Thanks, Vince.
The Reference DD was added to a Reference DAC. The differences were significant. The changes totally raise the level of the Reference. It takes the listener to a new level of the “you are there” sense. The presence of a vocalist, horn player or violin can be sensed as in the room coming from such a black background on a larger, clearer soundstage, with a tonality devoid of a digital character. I prefer this new filter in the DD. It sounds right to me. I am enjoying more detail with deeper and better defined bass. I haven’t been able to stop listening.
No question the expense is significant. Fortunately, so is the improvement the DD brings to the DAC.

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
I first heard the DD at the FL Audio Expo in Vince’s room. I made arrangements to get one. Thanks, Vince.
The Reference DD was added to a Reference DAC. The differences were significant. The changes totally raise the level of the Reference. It takes the listener to a new level of the “you are there” sense. The presence of a vocalist, horn player or violin can be sensed as in the room coming from such a black background on a larger, clearer soundstage, with a tonality devoid of a digital character. I prefer this new filter in the DD. It sounds right to me. I am enjoying more detail with deeper and better defined bass. I haven’t been able to stop listening.
No question the expense is significant. Fortunately, so is the improvement the DD brings to the DAC.
Thanks for sharing.
With which module have you reached this conclusions?

tomas329

Nov 7, 2022
USB. ProISL.
Listening briefly this morning. Wow! Stunning presence and natural tonality.
Hello,

What server/player are you or other digital director owners using to ply your music? I have the select director and i was finally able to do some comparative listening. When i originally compared my renderer to prousb module (pre DD) i thought the renderer was more detailed and softer in presentation while the prousb had better bass and spaciousness (not sure if thats the right word to describe what i heard). so i had been using the renderer for classical and some jazz and the prousb for rock and edm. after adding the digital director, both renderer and Proisl sound better but the renderer seems to have received greater enhancement. It feels like the renderer is now 2x as good vs the prousb is 1.5x. I still find the usb to have better sounding bass and spaciousness but it is much closer now and the detail in the renderer is just way better in my system.

Thus my original question, which servers are you guys using? I'm in the market and i'm not sure if i should go with a usb server or something with ethernet and i'm curious to hear impressions from people with something better than a roon nucleus.

Thanks

Reactions: Young Skywalker

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello,

What server/player are you or other digital director owners using to ply your music? I have the select director and i was finally able to do some comparative listening. When i originally compared my renderer to prousb module (pre DD) i thought the renderer was more detailed and softer in presentation while the prousb had better bass and spaciousness (not sure if thats the right word to describe what i heard). so i had been using the renderer for classical and some jazz and the prousb for rock and edm. after adding the digital director, both renderer and Proisl sound better but the renderer seems to have received greater enhancement. It feels like the renderer is now 2x as good vs the prousb is 1.5x. I still find the usb to have better sounding bass and spaciousness but it is much closer now and the detail in the renderer is just way better in my system.

Thus my original question, which servers are you guys using? I'm in the market and i'm not sure if i should go with a usb server or something with ethernet and i'm curious to hear impressions from people with something better than a roon nucleus.

Thanks
Hi Tomas,
The Taiko Audio Extreme Server is IMHO the best CAS server in the market.
I'm using it and so are many of my frds in Hong Kong.

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Hello,

Thanks
Taiko Extreme, Taiko USB card, netcard and switch.
MSB in collaboration with Taiko will in near future develop a daughter card for a new and different audio interface to connect with ProISL module. This will substitute the USB connection. More info at Taiko thread.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
Hi Tomas,

I am streaming from a lowly Roon Nucleus Plus over my home network (using a centrally located commercial grade router and switch in a data rack via cat6 copper cabling) to the Renderer module in a Reference Digital Director.

Do I find anything objectionable about the sonic presentation on any music, audiophile or otherwise? Absolutely not, my digital is as enjoyable as my serious vinyl setup.

Can it be even better with a dedicated music server like the Taiko or Pink Faun? Possibly. Can I afford to find out? No, not in the foreseeable future. Can I rationalise how it could be better, to the extent that justifies spending around 43,000 Australian dollars? Absolutely not, unless the Digital Director provides less than absolute immunity from noise transmission and/or these fancy music servers are applying some (sonically pleasing) processing, i.e., they are no longer bit perfect. Am I losing any sleep over this? No, life is short and I want to spend more time enjoying what I have.

As I have matured I have learned that there is no absolute/objective “what’s best” in the highly subjective arena that is hi-fi music playback. There is however, a “what’s best” for me, as difficult as it is for an otherwise insatiable perfectionist to admit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing