The Digital Director - A new MSB product improving everything from the source to the output

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Tomas,

I am streaming from a lowly Roon Nucleus Plus over my home network (using a centrally located commercial grade router and switch in a data rack via cat6 copper cabling) to the Renderer module in a Reference Digital Director.

Do I find anything objectionable about the sonic presentation on any music, audiophile or otherwise? Absolutely not, my digital is as enjoyable as my serious vinyl setup.

Can it be even better with a dedicated music server like the Taiko or Pink Faun? Possibly. Can I afford to find out? No, not in the foreseeable future. Can I rationalise how it could be better, to the extent that justifies spending around 43,000 Australian dollars? Absolutely not, unless the Digital Director provides less than absolute immunity from noise transmission and/or these fancy music servers are applying some (sonically pleasing) processing, i.e., they are no longer bit perfect. Am I losing any sleep over this? No, life is short and I want to spend more time enjoying what I have.

As I have matured I have learned that there is no absolute/objective “what’s best” in the highly subjective arena that is hi-fi music playback. There is however, a “what’s best” for me, as difficult as it is for an otherwise insatiable perfectionist to admit.
Yes, the audiophile journey is never-ending.

The Taiko Audio Extreme Server is the 2nd most expensive one in the market and the Pink Faun top model is not much cheaper.
However there are many good and "relatively affordable" choices between the Roon Nucleus Plus and them.

As good as the MSB Digital Director, a better server/streamer definitely brings about better sonic performance.
Whether they are worthwhile is a personal judgement and purely subjective.
Please visit your local MSB dealer and listen to the effect of diff servers/streamers. There is no obligation to buy anything and as an audiophile, it's fun!

Abascal

May 20, 2023
The Oppo sounds pretty decent.

So...Vince/MSB...is an HDMI passthru and audio extractor module in development?
Hi guys, I’ new on this forum, joining from France.
More than interested also to know if MSB is contemplating an HDMI input module to connect the audio output of my tweaked Oppo105 to the MSB DAC. I tried an SPDIF connection on coaxial but it sounded pretty bad.

I’m thinking also to add a DD to my set-up. I have a question which may look strange. Once migrating the four digital input modules on the DD (Renderer V2, USB Quad Rate, Toslink, AES) and inserting the two connecting fiber devices into the DAC, there are two slots left empty on the DAC. If one wants a fifth (or even sixth) input to the system, can it be recognized by the DAC ? Obviously this additional input would not benefit from the DD features but that’s okay. After all we are all using the DAC at present without the DD benefits and we are all happy (at least I am at present until I try the DD). This could be the case for a future HDMI input module or for an additional digital inputs from the existing ones. In other words, does the firmware 31.21 recognize an input card slotted into the DAC when it operates with a DD. I see value in having the possibility to operate with four inputs on the DD benefiting from the DD isolation and two on the DAC without the DD benefits, than only four on the DD. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Armsan

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
So...Vince/MSB...is an HDMI passthru and audio extractor module in development?
I would find this a nice addition too.

On a related note, I‘d love for someone to make a reclocker / dejittering device for HDMI, similar to the PS Audio Digital Lens of olden days and the plethora or USB, SPDIF and Ethernet “signal cleaners and reclockers“ of today. Ideally it would have one or more HDMI inputs and several digital format outputs (cleansed HDMI, cleansed AES, ….) It could be marketed / sold as a “standalone Digital Director for HDMI” which could be used with any HDMI source and a broad array of digital sinks

Last edited:

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Hi guys, I’ new on this forum, joining from France.
More than interested also to know if MSB is contemplating an HDMI input module to connect the audio output of my tweaked Oppo105 to the MSB DAC. I tried an SPDIF connection on coaxial but it sounded pretty bad.

I’m thinking also to add a DD to my set-up. I have a question which may look strange. Once migrating the four digital input modules on the DD (Renderer V2, USB Quad Rate, Toslink, AES) and inserting the two connecting fiber devices into the DAC, there are two slots left empty on the DAC. If one wants a fifth (or even sixth) input to the system, can it be recognized by the DAC ? Obviously this additional input would not benefit from the DD features but that’s okay. After all we are all using the DAC at present without the DD benefits and we are all happy (at least I am at present until I try the DD). This could be the case for a future HDMI input module or for an additional digital inputs from the existing ones. In other words, does the firmware 31.21 recognize an input card slotted into the DAC when it operates with a DD. I see value in having the possibility to operate with four inputs on the DD benefiting from the DD isolation and two on the DAC without the DD benefits, than only four on the DD. Thanks
Using the DD, all the inputs modules go there. In the DAC only the control link and ProISL modules. The benefits of the DD, besides the isolation, is also to let the DAC free from dealing with the computing tasks of the module inputs. I also have a MSB transport, which is a Oppo actually, and it’s linked in the DD too. Personally, I only need two modules: the Quadrate USB linked to my server and which is far superior to all the other inputs, and one ProISL for the Transport or maybe for the ProUSB, occasionally, for comparing purposes.
A future HDMI input, only MSB can answer, but I doubt that will ever happen, especially now that idea is to get rid of USB, second to Taiko Audio and MSB collaboration, leading to a full fiber connection right from the server output.

Reactions: CKKeung

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
...I would welcome the fiber-direct connection, but I wonder if this collaboration is theoretical or actual.
Well, at least is public, as we can consult in the Taiko Audio webpage, at Downloads, Future Products, last document.

Reactions: Brucemck2

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Last night I visited a friend for the first time since he received the MSB Digital Director. First we began by comparing the ethernet connection to the USB connection using the digital Director. We both felt the USB connection was a little bit smoother and a little bit more analog-like than the ethernet conndction.

When we A/Bed the system with the Digital Director and without the Digital Director the Digital Director seemed also to make the sound a little bit smoother and a little bit more analog-like.

I can't make any value for money appraisal on the Digital Director, but in this particular system the Digital Director makes the sound a little bit smoother, and at least a little bit more analog-like.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Last night I visited a friend for the first time since he received the MSB Digital Director. First we began by comparing the ethernet connection to the USB connection using the digital Director. We both felt the USB connection was a little bit smoother and a little bit more analog-like than the ethernet conndction.

When we A/Bed the system with the Digital Director and without the Digital Director the Digital Director seemed also to make the sound a little bit smoother and a little bit more analog-like.

I can't make any value for money appraisal on the Digital Director, but in this particular system the Digital Director makes the sound a little bit smoother, and at least a little bit more analog-like.
Interesting. Which MSB DAC does your friend have and what are they using for a server?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interesting. Which MSB DAC does your friend have and what are they using for a server?

Pachenko Constellation Masterpiece + MSB Select II

Reactions: bryans

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Pachenko Constellation Masterpiece + MSB Select II
Hi Ron, does your friend USB connection was already via the USB pro/ISL module? It would be interesting to understand the degree of improvement the DD can provide compared to an already existent USB pro module, in both cases due to fiber isolation.
What’s your sincere opinion about that kind of upgrade, is it worth the investment? I have a Premier/Powerbase and I’m evaluating to have a home audition of the DD.
TIA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron, does your friend USB connection was already via the USB pro/ISL module? It would be interesting to understand the degree of improvement the DD can provide compared to an already existent USB pro module, in both cases due to fiber isolation.
What’s your sincere opinion about that kind of upgrade, is it worth the investment? I have a Premier/Powerbase and I’m evaluating to have a home audition of the DD.
TIA
I don't know the other technical details.

I have no opinion about the Director in terms of value for money. I am no MSB expert.

But I know I like the Reference. I would get a Reference before I would get a Director.

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
I don't know the other technical details.

I have no opinion about the Director in terms of value for money. I am no MSB expert.

But I know I like the Reference. I would get a Reference before I would get a Director.
Thanks, Ron.

I’ve bought the Premier lost month, the DD is a 16K euro upgrade compared to a 76K euro for a Reference (also considering a good trade in for the Premier, the difference is still remarkable).

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks, Ron.

I’ve bought the Premier lost month, the DD is a 16K euro upgrade compared to a 76K euro for a Reference (also considering a good trade in for the Premier, the difference is still remarkable).

Eeesh! I thought the Reference was about 50K.

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
In the US a new Reference with two input modules is around $58k. Director is around $25k

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
On this side of the world:

Reference 73.500 euro, director 33.000 euro
Select 155.000 euro, director 37.000 euro
Premier 37.000 euro, director 19.000 euro

that’s why I was asking for an upgrade from the Premier to its DD

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As a non-expert on MSB, but having listened extensively to my friend's Premier and then Reference, I personally would rather have the Reference than Premier plus Director. Plus this strategy gives you a further upgrade path for when your kids start working and they start sending money home.

Unfortunately I cannot help answer your question.

Last edited:

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
My business partner has the Select DD in house for a demo (owns MSB Select DAC and Reference transport).
I've heard his reference CDs and SACDs many times, though our current sessions over there are R2R.

Last week I went over for an evening to listen and the same reference CDs/SACDs were definitely more fluid and analog-like than pre-DD installation. Piano and voices were particular more lifelike. I didn't notice a blacker background or a wider sound stage - all by memory - but rather a more natural and realistic presentation. He has pulled out more material and assures me that digital in his system with DD is "consistently better, the best it has ever sounded" noting no other changes were made. I would definitely agree with him based on what I heard during my one evening of listening.

It's impractical to uninstall the DD and its software as he's keeping it in place during the demo, so no A/B/A etc comparisons were made.

Albums I remember included:
Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson (SACD)
Michael Feinstein - Pure Gershwin (CD)

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Yes this is the question I have been facing. Should I upgrade my Premier to a Reference or go with a Premier DD. @luca.pelliccioli if you get a Premier DD for a home demo please post your thoughts.

Honestly I sure both options would be great.
I'm wondering the same.

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing