The best Dipoles, Dipoles that can do bass?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill, which version of the Stamm driver did you listen to? The original tri-axial with the Loth-X version of a whizzer? Or the revised version without the whizzer? I have the original Stefan Stamm drivers with the whizzer and it is the best single full range driver that I have heard. They are extremely fast, able to reproduce detail, nuance and articulate bass far better than any driver of its kind that have come across my ears. These are truly special drivers

I have the 2nd version without the whizzer but I have on good account your one is better....

They are very magical drivers no doubt about it. They are crazy fast and nuanced. I do think they might be one of the best of the very best.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The SOTAa of dipoles iS SOTA
1.Ribbons
2. Magnetic planars
3. Electrostatic
4. Open baffle.
The latest being the AlsxVox Michael Angelo with a ribbon subwoofer.
The bass is not only deep it is coherent.
The Magneplanars have serious slam for one..

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Maggie's with serious slam?

Where do they live?

They might if they put some magnets in them. And beefed up the frames by a factor of mega.

Otherwise, no.

Alsyvox do much better.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Maggie's with serious slam?

Where do they live?

They might if they put some magnets in them. And beefed up the frames by a factor of mega.

Otherwise, no.

Alsyvox do much better.
Alsyvox might do it better but cost a arm and a leg.a friend of mine who had a listen to them was not impressed and actually liked my 30.7s better.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
And Magnapan 30.7s deliver deep and quite powerful bass.

I've never heard any Maggie deliver bass, let alone deep and powerful bass.

When Magnepan brought 30.7's to dealers on a tour of the country a few years ago, they were absolutely horrible though they were literally the only pair that existed at the time. The sound quality was just weird…

There were all sorts of phase effects and other things going wrong that just made them not sound good. The designer was literally tweaking the crossover on the floor behind them using wires with alligator clips on both ends!

I had to go listen to a pair of Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario the dealer had it in another room just to cleanse my sonic pallet of the absolute terrible experience.

I hope they've improved since then, but I've never heard bass of note even from a 20.7.

Every Maggie I've ever heard except for a pair of the huge Tympani IVs from the late 1970s has sounded as if they were being run through the high pass side of a crossover that was directing the bass to a subwoofer except no such subwoofer was present in the room.

My local dealer has never again brought a pair of 30.7s in so I can only state what I heard from the prototypes they took on tour.

They've never even brought a pair of 30.7s to RMAF; maybe this year.

The Alsyvox are pricy, but are in the ballpark for what other speakers of that design cost today, including Graz's Apogee Diva Advance 9s.

Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I've never heard any Maggie deliver bass, let alone deep and powerful bass.

When Magnepan brought 30.7's to dealers on a tour of the country a few years ago, they were absolutely horrible though they were literally the only pair that existed at the time. The sound quality was just weird…

There were all sorts of phase effects and other things going wrong that just made them not sound good. The designer was literally tweaking the crossover on the floor behind them using wires with alligator clips on both ends!

I had to go listen to a pair of Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario the dealer had it in another room just to cleanse my sonic pallet of the absolute terrible experience.

I hope they've improved since then, but I've never heard bass of note even from a 20.7.

Every Maggie I've ever heard except for a pair of the huge Tympani IVs from the late 1970s has sounded as if they were being run through the high pass side of a crossover that was directing the bass to a subwoofer except no such subwoofer was present in the room.

My local dealer has never again brought a pair of 30.7s in so I can only state what I heard from the prototypes they took on tour.
I can honestly tell you I get deep and powerful bass on my 30.7s.the big panel is not just for looks.I don’t know what ears you got but it doesn’t sound good. My friends have loved the sound of my Maggie’s and I haven’t heard a better speaker.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
I just figure if the designer/factory rep can't set them up properly, what hope do the rest of us have?

Hopefully they will bring them to a show or do another dealer tour.

Reactions: christoph

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I just figure if the designer/factory rep can't set them up properly, what hope do the rest of us have?

Hopefully they will bring them to a show or do another dealer tour.
Fair point. They are very fussy and require time to find the best position. I moved mine around for a year to I got them right.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have not heard beyond 20.7. I quite liked it TBH especially for scale.

But speed, resolution and bass slam they simply do not possess. Compared to my admittedly very non-standard Apogee Duettas, there's just no comparison in those areas. No Maggie I have heard can get close.

Even Alsyvox have a hard time bettering my Duettas in their current form for those three parameters. If fact I don't think they do. They are simply comparable, even slightly behind for all out bass weight. But Duettas are bass heavy, no question. Alsyvox are more accurate I feel.

That said I'd take a set of Caravaggio over my Duettas as I'd say all things considered they are quite appreciably better. And I'd hope so for the money asked!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Christoph I am just being nice.

Do I really believe that fundamentally the Alsovox design is better?

Well actually I don't. All compromises considered.

• Wow
Reactions: christoph

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I have not heard beyond 20.7. I quite liked it TBH especially for scale.

But speed, resolution and bass slam they simply do not possess. Compared to my admittedly very non-standard Apogee Duettas, there's just no comparison in those areas. No Maggie I have heard can get close.

Even Alsyvox have a hard time bettering my Duettas in their current form for those three parameters. If fact I don't think they do. They are simply comparable, even slightly behind for all out bass weight. But Duettas are bass heavy, no question. Alsyvox are more accurate I feel.

That said I'd take a set of Caravaggio over my Duettas as I'd say all things considered they are quite appreciably better. And I'd hope so for the money asked!
The 30.7s are a big step up compared to the 20.7s.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing