The best 5 speakers that you have had

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I’d be happy to continue this back and forth until we can unequivocally distinguish between ideal electric efficiency and effective acoustic efficiency, but I believe I’ve made my point. The numbers I used as an example are from exhaustively measuring the driver, not by using the manufacturer spec sheet. The driver in question simply radiates more total acoustic power in relationship to the direct radiated power than what the log linear function predicts, pointing to it’s rudimentary roots as a simple global energy conservation equation, with simple coarse corrective terms. Don’t get me wrong, physics always wins and that expression still holds, it’s just that the energy it accounts for is not all acoustic, nor all electric, rendering it useless if you want to equate sensitivity to efficiency in effective terms, as far as I’m concerned.
Actually what you made was completely beside the point! No one was trying to distinguish between ideal electrical efficiency and effective acoustic efficiency except for you. The simple fact is that if you know the measured sensitivity of a speaker system with 1 watt at 1 meter you can calculate directly that speaker systems efficiency in terms of % electrical energy converted to acoustical energy. That was the only point being made but thx for playing! ;)

Reactions: andromedaaudio

RCanelas

Dec 28, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
cinnamonaudio.com
Actually what you made was completely beside the point! No one was trying to distinguish between ideal electrical efficiency and effective acoustic efficiency except for you. The simple fact is that if you know the measured sensitivity of a speaker system with 1 watt at 1 meter you can calculate directly that speaker systems efficiency in terms of % electrical energy converted to acoustical energy. That was the only point being made but thx for playing! ;)
I’m not sure what you mean by being beside the point, this originated with an honest mistake from andromeda writing efficiency instead of sensitivity, then doubling down when called out on it. In retrospective I should have left it alone, it is a detail most readers are not interested in.
So I went a bit overboard with this, but it is also a nice conversation :)
I make the point of distinguishing between the two because this is a clear case of specs gone wild imo, I believe we have the same concern here, and I suspect we are simply debating about effectively different things with the same name.

Reactions: bonzo75

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
According to this some of the drivers that I use should be upwards of 116dB sensitive. Much to my unhappiness, they fall just short of 98dB. If you find a way to recover the lost energy let know, I’m most interested.

Now thats what you call a sales trap , go back to the shop and bring those drivers back :)
It also depends on how you wire the drivers in your LS , what your X over looks like etc as to how efficient a transducer will be in the end

Wiki.

Loudspeaker efficiency is defined as the sound power output divided by the electrical power input. Most loudspeakers are inefficient transducers; only about 1% of the electrical energy sent by an amplifier to a typical home loudspeaker is converted to acoustic energy.

Looking at those numbers i reckon audiophilia as an industry will get shut down by the green brigade by 2030 -2035.

No more howling V12 s and no more sound at home :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
1. Tannoy Kensington GR (Pathos InPol Heritage)
2. Rockport Atria ii (D’Agostino Progression Intgrated)
3. Tannoy Autograph Minis (NAIM Uniti Atom)
4. Focal Kanta 3 (PS Audio BHK 300)
5. Harbeth 30.2 (PS Audio BHK 300)

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
One can also take housing material into consideration and the type of / internal dampening material that is used inside a transducer as to what the total acoustic power output will be in the end
There is a reason , for example i use kraftpaper / drenched in phenolic resin and then heated and pressed into plates as a housing material.
Extremely absorbent (paper) and stiff material with virtually no energy storage .
Every time a LS unit sets the housing into vibration this results in not only distortion but also lost energy / inefficiency.

May be others cant hear it / dont appreciate it , but tone decay and bass crispness is unparalleled with HPL material to my ears

Last edited:
Reactions: carolus

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Now thats what you call a sales trap , go back to the shop and bring those drivers back :)
It also depends on how you wire the drivers in your LS , what your X over looks like etc as to how efficient a transducer will be in the end

Wiki.

Loudspeaker efficiency is defined as the sound power output divided by the electrical power input. Most loudspeakers are inefficient transducers; only about 1% of the electrical energy sent by an amplifier to a typical home loudspeaker is converted to acoustic energy.

Looking at those numbers i reckon audiophilia as an industry will get shut down by the green brigade by 2030 -2035.

No more howling V12 s and no more sound at home :oops:
You will have up the efficiency…with horns!!

Jeddyd

Oct 11, 2023
West Wales
I can only list 2. Limited funds and a relative newcomer to Audiophilia.
B&W 805 Matrix and my latest acquisition B&W 802 Matrix Series 2, complete with the original B&W stands that feel as though the steel from which they're made, is full of lead. Even by today's standards, these speakers sound absolutely stunning to me.
Here's a picture of one of them. I will be recovering all the grill cloths and I'm in the process of giving them a couple of coats of shellac and then I'll polish them because I prefer a bit of gloss to the finish. 16970674099485555663672294689177.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I can only list 2. Limited funds and a relative newcomer to Audiophilia.
B&W 805 Matrix and my latest acquisition B&W 802 Matrix Series 2, complete with the original B&W stands that feel as though the steel from which they're made, is full of lead. Even by today's standards, these speakers sound absolutely stunning to me.
Here's a picture of one of them. I will be recovering all the grill cloths and I'm in the process of giving them a couple of coats of shellac and then I'll polish them because I prefer a bit of gloss to the finish. View attachment 118046

Welcome to WBF, Jeddyd!

Reactions: Jeddyd

Jeddyd

Oct 11, 2023
West Wales
Welcome to WBF, Jeddyd!
Thanks Ron, I like the look of this forum and the 'tone' of the people here. It strikes me as somewhat more sensible, than the other forum I've been visiting. Actually I should have called myself John, since that's my name. However, I see I can't edit my user name until the 10th of November, so J Eddy D (if you see what I mean) will have to be it, for now.

Last edited:

Vinylleroy

Jul 8, 2022
I've only owned 3 pairs of speakers: The Kef LS50 Meta, Monitor Audio Bronze and the Elipson 1303 FT (see pic).

The Elipson speakers sound the most real and immersive to date, but I am looking for new speakers at the moment. I'm going to listen to the Devore 0/96 speakers next tuesday, which I think have to same lifelike and involving sound, but better..

Attachments

• IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: emoonie and thomask

steve59

Jan 7, 2018

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
top of my list should I ever win a billion dollars. For speakers like I think a million dollar listening room is appropriate.. now that I think of it 2 bil.

Did you hear them ??.
I actuallly heard them this year for the first time in munich .
All looks no sound.

Attachments

• 20230520_154242.jpg
    20230520_154242.jpg
    901.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230520_154231.jpg
    20230520_154231.jpg
    924.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230520_154236.jpg
    20230520_154236.jpg
    800.2 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: amadeus

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Did you hear them ??.
I actuallly heard them this year for the first time in munich .
All looks no sound.
Dammit, this might be the first time I agree with you on something :eek:

Calvinj

Aug 1, 2022
1. Gato FM6
2. Revel Studio 2
3. Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand Edition
4. Sonus Faber Toy.

Reactions: thomask

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing