The best 5 speakers that you have had

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I m quit sure mine will do the job .
93 - 94 db efficient and in the bass they stay nicely above 5 ohms which makes it easy for (tube ) amps , giving crisp / fast Bass response.
They only drop to 3,5 ohms at 10 Khz

You re welcome to have a listen whenever you re in Brussels .
But ,... Yeah yeah yes i know you only buy well distributed / advertised acknowledged brands ;).
I am curious ( I think ) Have you actually sold any of your speakers ?!?!?!!??

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
No not this XPE model , its a heavy speaker and not easy to transport so people have to come to me to hear it
I have not spend any money on marketing , and people are not interested in taking the time and making a listening appointment .
People want well marketed / distributed known brands / which can heard in a store and which are easy to resell .
Besides that i also have a busy day job which takes up a lot of time .

Some of my previous speaker designs like the voyager model have been sold and are playing in NL .
(The XPE model is on sale 20 K / pair)
I have 2 new designs in development which will be much smaller and lighter and which will be marketed ( much cheaper models )

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
No not this XPE model , its a heavy speaker and not easy to transport so people have to come to me to hear it
I have not spend any money on marketing , and people are not interested in taking the time and making a listening appointment .
People want well marketed / distributed known brands / which can heard in a store and which are easy to resell .
Besides that i also have a busy day job which takes up a lot of time .

Some of my previous speaker designs like the voyager model have been sold and are playing in NL .
(The XPE model is on sale 20 K / pair)
I have 2 new designs in development which will be much smaller and lighter and which will be marketed ( much cheaper models )
As usual, you are refreshingly honest ! :) I think it is cool that you make your own speakers, and have found a way to make it tax deductible , even if you don't sell any it is a win win situation !;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
As usual, you are refreshingly honest ! :) I think it is cool that you make your own speakers, and have found a way to make it tax deductible , even if you don't sell any it is a win win situation !;)

Despite that , it only has cost $$$ unfortunately
Apart from Ked , i have had quit a few positive reactions , my previous space had some acoustic challenges, a lot of glass / concrete / no curtains
I am curious ( I think ) Have you actually sold any of your speakers ?!?!?!!??

If i hear at shows / dealer shows / other audiophiles systems what some of the other manufacturers are peddling , mine are a actual bargain at 50 K

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Despite that , it only has cost $$$ unfortunately
Apart from Ked , i have had quit a few positive reactions , my previous space had some acoustic challenges, a lot of glass / concrete / no curtains

If i hear at shows / dealer shows / other audiophiles systems what some of the other manufacturers are peddling , mine are a actual bargain at 50 K
A bargain at 50k?? No, I don’t think so…

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
A bargain at 50k?? No, I don’t think so…

FYI They were priced new with a dealer/ distributor margin included .

These are not your average plywood or MDF box speakers , i can tell you that ,.
industrial grade quality materials and construction is gonna cost you no way around it .
All made by specialized companies not your average DIY garage construction

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Reading the full review :
the XLF measures actually very good with JA average response measurements at the listening spot. Which is what you hear off course
+- 1,5 db is excellent , at this measurement position no suck out can be seen
With a min impedance of 3.2 ohm at 510 hz and 92,6 db eff the lamm should drive the XLF .
The thing that SET s do struggle with ime is controlling big woofers , i have tried Zanden 300 B 8 watts and thats where it fell short

1678118787188.png

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
The HQD I had used 6 mono ML-2 Levinson Class A amps on lows, mids, and highs. The general sound of the mids (two Quad 57s on each channel) and highs (Decca tweeters) was magical. But the bass was Harley subwoofers which were huge, slow, and somewhat muddy. With great subs as we have today it would have made a huge difference. The system did not image as well as the best and of course did not have huge dynamics. But tonally it killed. And had a big sound unlike a single pair of Quad 57s. All in all, magical, despite limitations as above.
I heard HQD demoed by Mark L in Stockholm in the late 70s....source was ML5/Studer A80...........great sound.....despite 2cubic meter sluggish Hartley 24 boxes

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
FYI They were priced new with a dealer/ distributor margin included .

These are not your average plywood or MDF box speakers , i can tell you that ,.
industrial grade quality materials and construction is gonna cost you no way around it .
All made by specialized companies not your average DIY garage construction
What make of drivers?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
T
Reading the full review :
the XLF measures actually very good with JA average response measurements at the listening spot. Which is what you hear off course
+- 1,5 db is excellent , at this measurement position no suck out can be seen
With a min impedance of 3.2 ohm at 510 hz and 92,6 db eff the lamm should drive the XLF .
The thing that SET s do struggle with ime is controlling big woofers , i have tried Zanden 300 B 8 watts and thats where it fell short

View attachment 105667
The Zander probably has a very low damping factor and the big woofer is probably in a big vented box with a Q of 0.8 or more, meaning not very well damped to get “moar” bass but not very self controlled.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
T

The Zander probably has a very low damping factor and the big woofer is probably in a big vented box with a Q of 0.8 or more, meaning not very well damped to get “moar” bass but not very self controlled.

The Convergent flips them around like a whip , my 1O watt class A transistor works fine , but 8 watt SET..... no

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
My speaker choice has been guided by my adoption of SET as the best existing amplification technology.

I have tried many amps and tech, including:

Class AB PP UL tubes (various)
Class AB SS (various)
Class A SS (various)
Class A triode PP (VAC 30/30 mkiii and WLM. PureSound A30)
OTL (Transcendent Sound and Silvaweld and heard at length GRAAF and Tenor)
Class AB hybrid (Sphinx)
Class A SE(hybrid) (NAT Symbiosis SE)
Class A SEP (Mastersound)
Class A SET (Aries Cerat, KR Audio, Amplifon, Silvercore, JJ, Wall Audio, Ayon, Amare Musica, Cary, Chinese)

Of all those types the best were SET, OTL, PP Triode and hybrids (Sphinx PJ14 and 16, Ypsilon Phaeton (Shows) and NAT).

Yet to try at home: Aries Cerat Essentia, which is a single stage triode/FET but with high power SET output. Also, SEOTL…currently only Transcendent Sound makes one (AC used to on order.). One of those could dethrone SET but while OTL got close it fell short on tonality.

All the moat interesting sounding were low ish power and this then guides the speaker choice for me.

Reactions: thomask and carolus

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The Convergent flips them around like a whip , my 1O watt class A transistor works fine , but 8 watt SET..... no
The CAT JL2 signature is on of the best high powered tube amps…but we found the NAT SE2SE monos to sound better overall and with just as much grunt.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Morricab you have never even looked at my speakers ever , it only takes 1 look ... 5 drivers per speaker . ;)
Duelund caps and Finite element classic footers standard
And yes i do use off the shelve high quality LS units.
Don’t have time to dig for your speakers pictures

• Haha
Reactions: andromedaaudio

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have tried;

DIY 1O watts class A , by the way still works fine and thats what got me into this hobby.
I couldnt care less about the technology , if i hear something better then the CAT and is reasonable good value for money the CAT s are gone

Meridian poweramp.
Classe
Mark levinson 29
Mark levinson 431
Graaf GM 20
Graaf GM 200
AYON audio
Krell EVO 400 monos
Boulder 1060
Zanden 7000
CAT JL 2 sign
CAT JL 5 black path

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have tried;

DIY 1O watts class A , by the way still works fine and thats what got me into this hobby.
I couldnt care less about the technology , if i hear something better then the CAT and is reasonable good value for money the CAT s are gone

Meridian poweramp.
Classe
Mark levinson 28
Mark levinson 431
Graaf GM 20
Graaf GM 200
AYON audio
Krell EVO 400 monos
Boulder 1060
Zanden 7000
CAT JL 2 sign
CAT JL 5 black path
How was the GRAAF GM20? Which Ayon amp did you have?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
My speaker choice has been guided by my adoption of SET as the best existing amplification technology.

I have tried many amps and tech, including:

Class AB PP UL tubes (various)
Class AB SS (various)
Class A SS (various)
Class A triode PP (VAC 30/30 mkiii and WLM. PureSound A30)
OTL (Transcendent Sound and Silvaweld and heard at length GRAAF and Tenor)
Class AB hybrid (Sphinx)
Class A SE(hybrid) (NAT Symbiosis SE)
Class A SEP (Mastersound)
Class A SET (Aries Cerat, KR Audio, Amplifon, Silvercore, JJ, Wall Audio, Ayon, Amare Musica, Cary, Chinese)

Of all those types the best were SET, OTL, PP Triode and hybrids (Sphinx PJ14 and 16, Ypsilon Phaeton (Shows) and NAT).

Yet to try at home: Aries Cerat Essentia, which is a single stage triode/FET but with high power SET output. Also, SEOTL…currently only Transcendent Sound makes one (AC used to on order.). One of those could dethrone SET but while OTL got close it fell short on tonality.

All the moat interesting sounding were low ish power and this then guides the speaker choice for me.
I might add that Transcendent Sound makes a 300b OTL, which to my knowledge is the only DHT OTL design in existence…could be VERY interesting sounding…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing