Test Drive of 2020 BMW 840i Coupe

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I completely love my SL550. It is just the perfect car for me personally: a large two-seater with a retractable hard-top and good cargo capacity which can operate in comfortable, luxury GT, closed coupe mode or fast, quasi-sports car, convertible mode.

But the SL is long in the tooth. Mercedes is letting the two-seat retractable hard-top SL die an ignominious death, with the brand new future SL becoming a 2+2 with a soft-top. So the SL has not been updated since 2017. The SL's interior technology is, I think, two full generations old compared to the 2020 S Class series.

On the one hand I like the old-school ergonomics, because I greatly prefer push-buttons and switches over touch-screens and that horrific "L"-shaped touch-sensitive computer mouse thing in the center console of many of the current generation Mercedes cars. On the other hand the archaic user interface can be annoying. For example, entering an address on the navigation system my SL is very cumbersome and not at all user-friendly.

My hope is to purchase in two or three years a 2019 SL63 which gets traded in for a Porsche Taycan or the new 2+2 SL. I think Steve is considering the same strategy, for the same reasons. I like the SL63 even though the last two generations of the car look awkward and dis-jointed and much less sleek and wedge-shaped and pretty than my 2009 SL550.

But by then the current two-seat will be even more behind the times. No one else in the world makes a big two-seater with a retractable hard-top.

The only non-two-seaters which look interesting to me are the Mercedes C63 S Convertible and the not-yet-released BMW M8 Convertible. I looked at the C63 in a Mercedes dealership yesterday but the current generation of sort of oblong egg-shaped Mercedes are not very space-efficient, I think. In other words, unlike the SL, for their size on the outside they are rather small on the inside. Did you know that the SL has more legroom than an S Class?

The current Mercedes C Class, E Class and S Class all look the same to me, just in slightly longer or shorter oblong egg formats. The C63 S Convertible just did not do a lot for me.

2020_bmw_8-series_actf34_ns_827191_717.jpg

So today I decided to stop off at a BMW dealership and test drive a brand new 840i Coupe. Last year I test drove an M6. I found it big and ponderous, like someone bolted a big external after-market car body onto a fully-functioning sports car. The visibility was poor (compared to the SL). I just did not care for it.

I think the new 8 Series is much better than the 6 Series. Based on the 840i I think the M8 Convertible is going to be a pretty great car.

In person the 8 Series looks better than it does in photos. In person it looks a bit smaller and smoother and sleeker than it looks in photos.

The forward and rear visibility of the 840i is still not as good as the visibility from the SL because the BMW has a higher belt-line. The SL is lower to the ground, but the belt-line is lower, and I just see more glass all around me in the SL.

This 840i is a brand new generation design, and it is very tech-y, which I did not necessarily care for. Engaging the transmission into Drive requires pushing a little plastic button on the left side of a piteously small shift lever protrusion covered in fancy-looking clear plastic (or was that glass?). Even the current SL63 replaced by SL's full-size automatic transmission shift lever with one of those truncated little lever sticks.

Engaging the parking brake on the 840i requires gently pushing another small plastic button. I mush prefer to mash down a proper rubber-pedal emergency brake with my left foot!

Some of the parts in the car were way too cheap looking and feeling for an 8 Series -- the thin plastic turn-signal stalk must have come right out of an entry-level Mini.

bmw_8series_102.jpg

The engine was quiet compared even to my SL. I am sure the 8 cylinder engine in the M8 will properly make its presence known. (In the SL63 the engine reminds you constantly that it is on and ready to rock.)

The car did not feel as heavy as it is, which was a pleasant surprise. But I found the steering wheel to be way too light, with no "feel" at all.

Overall, I think the 8 Series will be a well-regarded line of automobiles. I think I would enjoy the M8 Convertible (even if it is a soft-top).

But I still want that low mileage 2019 SL63!

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Have you checked out and driven a Portofino? No cheap plastic turn signal stock, its buttons on the wheel. :p
https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/ferrari/portofino

1570250528627.png

Last edited:
Reactions: rockitman

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I understand your frustrations. New cars seem to be taking one step forward and two steps back constantly. Even Honda has regressed back to some non-touch buttons this year from last year because they found out people hate frustrating controls - who would have guessed????

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Have you checked out and driven a Portofino? No cheap plastic turn signal stock, its buttons on the wheel. :p
https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/ferrari/portofino

View attachment 57532

Of course — It’s totally wonderful! But I already have a delicate Italian (360 Convertible). I have always wanted something German- or Japanese-reliable for my daily driver. And for me the Portofino is too expensive to be a daily driver.

I think it’s great that Ferrari is continuing with retractable hardtops. I am very disappointed that both Mercedes and BMW are discontinuing retractable hardtops.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I understand your frustrations. New cars seem to be taking one step forward and two steps back constantly. Even Honda has regressed back to some non-touch buttons this year from last year because they found out people hate frustrating controls - who would have guessed????

I agree. Who wants to have to scroll through a computer menu to activate a basic function?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Of course — It’s totally wonderful! But I already have a delicate Italian (360 Convertible). I have always wanted something German- or Japanese-reliable for my daily driver. And for me the Portofino is too expensive to be a daily driver.

I think it’s great that Ferrari is continuing with retractable hardtops. I am very disappointed that both Mercedes and BMW are discontinuing retractable hardtops.
Ferrari learned their lesson with rag tops, and I have to deal with those expensive repairs every day. RHT is the only way to go, truly best of both worlds.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, it is a big two-seater. But I am just not a Corvette person.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich

991.2 Targa would be a good match Ron. Metall roof. Still has lots of buttons. Has a big gear lever for the PDK.
The visibility is pretty good. It is approximately as big as your SL550.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
991.2 Targa would be a good match Ron. Metall roof. Still has lots of buttons. Has a big gear lever for the PDK.
The visibility is pretty good. It is approximately as big as your SL550.

I appreciate the thought!

The SL is still several inches longer, and I don’t think one can fit a huge 29 inch suitcase plus two small carry-on luggage cases in the 911 like I can in the SL. (People would be very surprised how much luggage you can fit in the trunk and behind the seats of the SL. Those extra few inches of length afford this flexibility. The non-2+2 configuration also facilitates the big trunk.)

But more than those quibbles, I personally have never cared for the look of the 911 or for the concept of a rear engine. (By this I mean that if a car designer is starting with a clean sheet of paper, a rear engine configuration just does not make any sense to me.)

I definitely like the older style push-button controls of the 911!

I drove a friend’s 911 C4 Convertible quite a bit one summer years ago. It is a lot of fun to drive, and my favorite thing about the 911 is that it is not a heavy car compared to most BMWs and Mercedes.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
I appreciate the thought!

The SL is still several inches longer, and I don’t think one can fit a huge 29 inch suitcase plus two small carry-on luggage cases in the 911 like I can in the SL. (People would be very surprised how much luggage you can fit in the trunk and behind the seats of the SL. Those extra few inches of length afford this flexibility. The non-2+2 configuration also facilitates the big trunk.)

You can fold down the rear seats in a 911. That means you have a 1.25m (4 foot) wide cargo space in the back :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My hope is to purchase in two or three years a 2019 SL63 which gets traded in for a Porsche Taycan or the new 2+2 SL. I think Steve is considering the same strategy, for the same reasons. I like the SL63 even though the last two generations of the car look awkward and dis-jointed and much less sleek and wedge-shaped and pretty than my 2009 SL550

That could have been me many months ago Ron but I have changed directions. I am no longer interested in spending big sums of money on either a new or even used SL63 even though I like the car and enjoy driving them. TBH I like the body style of my old SL55 better than the SL63. Having said that Ron, you have made the same statement many times about the leg room in the SL series to be greater than that even in the big S series sedan. FWIW my wife has an E350 and yesterday I compared the leg room where the seat would be if I were in my car. The leg room IMO is at the very least the same and with the seat of the E350moved back the leg room enlarges by great amounts. I remember when you said the same about the GT series of Mercedes having less leg room than the SL. I have been in the GT and to me the leg room is identical so even if I were to stay with Mercedes which Have owned in most every model going back to the mid 80's I doubt if I would go for a used SL 63 with the RHT. So I'm not buying into that argument that the SL has the greatest leg room

As for a Porsche Taycan I indeed had interest when Porsche was taking preorders last year for $65K until they released information a month ago that the MSRP on the car starts at $165K and can quickly hit $200K. I have lost all interest in that as an exit option for me.

FWIW both my cars are mechanically sound and we enjoy driving them but once solar storage batteries are perfected I am leaving the ICE Age :) and will be going all EV with battery power sufficient to charge both cars (last year my home Solar system produced 18000 KWH and I used just over 10,000 KWH leaving a hefty surplus which I sold back to our utility company for mere pennies. My goal is to store the extra in my garage batteries and only anything above that will I send to the grid of our electric company. There is a huge dichotomy here between the ICE Age believers and the current 21st century EV believers. Where I live at least 1 in 4 houses are all solar and I would bet that 1 in 10 households have at least one EV here. Is this just a fad or is this where reality is taking us. For me it is some of the former but a whole lot more of the latter

Don't get me wrong, I love driving my car and until I can finish implementing my game plan I will still very much enjoy driving my cars. Yes I will mourn the loss of the RHT but I owned an SL 220 many years ago that had a removal hard top which was suspended by a pulley in the garage when you wanted to drive topless.

Finally if I were truly to stay in the ICE Age the thought of the new Corvette C08 intrigues me and I believe there is no issue with leg room in the C08. I have also owned a Porsche 928S which was a very fast and luxurious 4 seater with ample leg room. For me, my end destination is sailing off into the sunset with an all EV household using free energy that I have produced my self. At $5/gallon x2 (for both cars) amortized weekly over each fill up and the lifetime of use I am hoping to save a lot of money that I can put to other use. Some here have stated that EV is but a spit in the ocean as to doing ones part to help against global warming.I say that the world's longest journey has to start with the first small step. Over the past 3 years my wife and I have done everything to make for a more energy efficient household. I understand the CO2 emissions coming from plants that make solar panels. I get all of that and although I am far from being the zealot that Empirical Audio demonstrates here with all of his life style changes, my wife and I are enjoying finding ways we can do our fair share. Waiting in line at the gas pump to pay $5 per gallon just doesn't make sense to us any more.I don't consider myself a fanboy because I still own, and love to drive my ICE Age cars but our reality paradigm has changed and as we see it, it is all for the better

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
How about the Bent;ey GT convertible. It is all intents and purposes a two seater unless you are transporting a couple of dogs. 171FE566-27A6-4D68-9DDD-F541A7AFA536.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How about the Bent;ey GT convertible. It is all intents and purposes a two seater unless you are transporting a couple of dogs.

Thank you for the suggestion. The Bentley GT convertible is very expensive, and, to me, it is another example of a car that is big on the outside but small on the inside. And, for me, a 2+2 is not tantamount to a two seater because the rear seats, no matter how small they are, result in a smaller and less useful trunk.

As behind the technological state of the art as it is I still love the SL63.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Legroom Comparison

SL legroom 42.9” > S Class sedan legroom 41.4”

D310E744-3036-4182-BC24-FE34B596C903.png

7DB164A4-3F33-4CD4-9B55-D1337200B126.png

26454B09-D9CC-4CF4-9305-5DB2A930489A.png

3CFBC1C3-B1EF-4D6B-8F40-22BC6E7F9CEF.png

Mercedes-Benz USA for some reason lists the SL legroom at 53.6.” I don’t know if that is correct. Every other appearance indicates the SL legroom at 42.9”.

Either way the legroom in the SL exceeds the legroom in the S Class sedan.

I rest my case.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have no problem with the leg room Ron.I found your comment interesting so every Mercedes have been in lately I have been comparing to my SL and TBH I see no restrictions in the other models including the GT

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing