2023 BMW X1 SUV

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I once had a BMW X1 for rent in Germany. I hated the electronics, too. The GPS was so complicated that it was dangerously distracting from driving. I often had to drive to the side of the road because I couldn't even get a simple function to work on the fly. One wrong swipe, and you were out of the normal functioning of the GPS without a simple, intuitive possibility to get back to it.

In this car, or another one, I also could not find the car radio for hours because it was hidden under an incomprehensible and counterintuitive multi-swipe menu. Pathetic. I mean, where are the old -fashioned, always available, push buttons?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I rented an X3 when I was in SoCal and had a long drive alone from San Diego to visit Steve at OC.

I echo Ron's sentiments. Sadly that PITA start stop is mandated. In my Cayenne I had to devote it's one and only programable button on the wheel for the start/stop defeat. I would have preferred to use this button for 360 camera as things can get preeeetttty tight here.

I can't remember how many times I accidentally muted the stereo with that dumb volume knob.

The saving grace is that it actually drove really well. Going with the SoCal flow often with stretches where everyone is doing close to 100mph, it remained very stable and just soaked up all the bumps. Decent cornering when I got up to the hills too.

There are just too many electronic doodads in modern cars these days. That's what I love most about my baby GR Yaris, albeit I have to manually defeat the start stop and lane assist every time I start the car too. Damn it!

The thing is with the Start Stop is that it can take a heavy toll on the battery's life. Batteries are not cheap and disposal requires special dump sites. Okay I will stop the rant here!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I once had a BMW X1 for rent in Germany. I hated the electronics, too. The GPS was so complicated that it was dangerously distracting from driving. I often had to drive to the side of the road because I couldn't even get a simple function to work on the fly. One wrong swipe, and you were out of the normal functioning of the GPS without a simple, intuitive possibility to get back to it.

In this car, or another one, I also could not find the car radio for hours because it was hidden under an incomprehensible and counterintuitive multi-swipe menu. Pathetic. I mean, where are the old -fashioned, always available, push buttons?

That's why on trips I know I will be doing a lot of long distance driving, I still bring a Garmin.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
That's why on trips I know I will be doing a lot of long distance driving, I still bring a Garmin.

Google Maps on the phone works well too.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yup I
Google Maps on the phone works well too.
Yup I use Google Maps in city where buildings screw up the Garmin. I use the Garmin on interstates where the lag of cell networks makes me miss exits sometimes.

Reactions: Al M.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Indeed the stock GPS in most cars is awfull .
I used to bring my motorcycle GARMIN navigation always with me
Not with IX1 , the stock nav is excellent.
I leave the garmin on the motorbike these days .

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Our automobile insurance company is renting for Tinka a 2023 BMW X1 SUV while her car is repaired .

I've been driving it the last couple of weeks to give Barney (our 2010 Ford Escape) a break.

This car is annoying AF!

1) Eco stop/start have to be manually disabled by a complex menu sequence every single time you start the car.

2) Graphic speedometer/tach is supposed to look cool, but it's actually annoying to look at and uninformative at quick glance. The information that is there, is tiny, and there are large areas of dashboard real estate which are directly in view but which show no information.

3) Master volume control requires careful, measured, medium pressure: too soft and it doesn't change, too hard and it switches into mute.

4) Cargo cover makes it difficult to insert luggage.

5) Loud BEEP BEEP if you walk away from the car like to drop a piece of mail in the mailbox but leave the car running.

6) Loud BEEP BEEP every time you get near the car and open the door to enter.

7) manual FM radio frequency selector is annoying digital tabs

8) FM radio dashboard displays annoying billboard advertisement for ambulance chasing lawyers.

9) long delay – – literally like 1.5 seconds – – from standstill, before engine engages, and you actually move forward

10) To go forward you pull the tiny vestigial shift lever towards you (reverse); to go in reverse, you push the lever forward (as to drive forward) -- opposite of what is intuitive.

11) When there is a warning signal about some system malfunction, like tire pressure, you have to go through four layers of menus to get to the display you need to see tire pressure.

If you exit the car -- even if you keep the car running -- the display disappears. So if you want to see if you have corrected the problem you have to go through the same four menus every time to get back to the display you need.

12) The top of the dashboard slopes down in every section, so that no matter what you throw up there it instantly slides onto the floor and between the numerous slots underneath the seats.

13) The car has some automatic brake feature. If you are driving normally downhill, and you slow to a stop, if you take your foot off the break the car does not continue down on idle. Some brake automatically has been applied. You have to press the gas to overcome the braking action to continue on your way even down a hill.

14) Every single time you turn the car on you have to "okay" (acknowledge with a tap on the touchscreen) that you won't use the control system while driving.

15) I am not even itemizing separately the annoying menu-driven touchscreens with all new cars instead of physical knobs, switches and dials. It goes without saying that you have to go through a menu and press precisely a series of tabs just to get the air conditioning working or to get FM radio playing.

Nothing compared to the future reliability service issues :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Ix1 topspeed 185 km./ h max

Drives great

Auto bahn

Attachments

• 20240115_155944.jpg
    20240115_155944.jpg
    779.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing