2023 BMW X1 SUV

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Our automobile insurance company is renting for Tinka a 2023 BMW X1 SUV while her car is repaired .

I've been driving it the last couple of weeks to give Barney (our 2010 Ford Escape) a break.

This car is annoying AF!

1) Eco stop/start have to be manually disabled by a complex menu sequence every single time you start the car.

2) Graphic speedometer/tach is supposed to look cool, but it's actually annoying to look at and uninformative at quick glance. The information that is there, is tiny, and there are large areas of dashboard real estate which are directly in view but which show no information.

3) Master volume control requires careful, measured, medium pressure: too soft and it doesn't change, too hard and it switches into mute.

4) Cargo cover makes it difficult to insert luggage.

5) Loud BEEP BEEP if you walk away from the car like to drop a piece of mail in the mailbox but leave the car running.

6) Loud BEEP BEEP every time you get near the car and open the door to enter.

7) manual FM radio frequency selector is annoying digital tabs

8) FM radio dashboard displays annoying billboard advertisement for ambulance chasing lawyers.

9) long delay – – literally like 1.5 seconds – – from standstill, before engine engages, and you actually move forward

10) To go forward you pull the tiny vestigial shift lever towards you (reverse); to go in reverse, you push the lever forward (as to drive forward) -- opposite of what is intuitive.

11) When there is a warning signal about some system malfunction, like tire pressure, you have to go through four layers of menus to get to the display you need to see tire pressure.

If you exit the car -- even if you keep the car running -- the display disappears. So if you want to see if you have corrected the problem you have to go through the same four menus every time to get back to the display you need.

12) The top of the dashboard slopes down in every section, so that no matter what you throw up there it instantly slides onto the floor and between the numerous slots underneath the seats.

13) The car has some automatic brake feature. If you are driving normally downhill, and you slow to a stop, if you take your foot off the break the car does not continue down on idle. Some brake automatically has been applied. You have to press the gas to overcome the braking action to continue on your way even down a hill.

14) Every single time you turn the car on you have to "okay" (acknowledge with a tap on the touchscreen) that you won't use the control system while driving.

15) I am not even itemizing separately the annoying menu-driven touchscreens with all new cars instead of physical knobs, switches and dials. It goes without saying that you have to go through a menu and press precisely a series of tabs just to get the air conditioning working or to get FM radio playing.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Oh no. Not the Corvette.

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
Not the ‘ultimate driving experience’ I’m looking for!

Last edited:

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
And the X1 is ugly!

I'm considering a small Audi SUV as I haven't seen any BMW SUV I'd want to be seen in.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Try the electric version IX1
X DRIVE 30 AWD 313 bhp

I love mine ,

Its keyless , the only thing i have to do is tap the middle console button and slide the lever backwards , double click for 1 pedal drive ( regenerative braking ) i never have to use the touchscreen to drive , only for selecting drive modes , chargepoints , nav , radio etc .
Park assist works fine if you want to use it , after that just step out of the car push one button and all is locked incl electric handbrake , ........ easiest car i have ever used , plus it has a lot of SUV space.
Lane assist , so you can take the hands of the wheel , BMW app on the phone shows you whether all doors are locked , location of the vehicle , tire pressure , battery status , etc etc

1704804473243.jpeg

Attachments

• 20231019_192447.jpg
    20231019_192447.jpg
    901.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231019_155326.jpg
    20231019_155326.jpg
    645.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231019_191538.jpg
    20231019_191538.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: marslo and Golum

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Our automobile insurance company is renting for Tinka a 2023 BMW X1 SUV while her car is repaired .

I've been driving it the last couple of weeks to give Barney (our 2010 Ford Escape) a break.

This car is annoying AF!

1) Eco stop/start have to be manually disabled by a complex menu sequence every single time you start the car.

2) Graphic speedometer/tach is supposed to look cool, but it's actually annoying to look at and uninformative at quick glance. The information that is there, is tiny, and there are large areas of dashboard real estate which are directly in view but which show no information.

3) Master volume control requires careful, measured, medium pressure: too soft and it doesn't change, too hard and it switches into mute.

4) Cargo cover makes it difficult to insert luggage.

5) Loud BEEP BEEP if you walk away from the car like to drop a piece of mail in the mailbox but leave the car running.

6) Loud BEEP BEEP every time you get near the car and open the door to enter.

7) manual FM radio frequency selector is annoying digital tabs

8) FM radio dashboard displays annoying billboard advertisement for ambulance chasing lawyers.

9) long delay – – literally like 1.5 seconds – – from standstill, before engine engages, and you actually move forward

10) To go forward you pull the tiny vestigial shift lever towards you (reverse); to go in reverse, you push the lever forward (as to drive forward) -- opposite of what is intuitive.

11) When there is a warning signal about some system malfunction, like tire pressure, you have to go through four layers of menus to get to the display you need to see tire pressure.

If you exit the car -- even if you keep the car running -- the display disappears. So if you want to see if you have corrected the problem you have to go through the same four menus every time to get back to the display you need.

12) The top of the dashboard slopes down in every section, so that no matter what you throw up there it instantly slides onto the floor and between the numerous slots underneath the seats.

13) The car has some automatic brake feature. If you are driving normally downhill, and you slow to a stop, if you take your foot off the break the car does not continue down on idle. Some brake automatically has been applied. You have to press the gas to overcome the braking action to continue on your way even down a hill.

14) Every single time you turn the car on you have to "okay" (acknowledge with a tap on the touchscreen) that you won't use the control system while driving.

15) I am not even itemizing separately the annoying menu-driven touchscreens with all new cars instead of physical knobs, switches and dials. It goes without saying that you have to go through a menu and press precisely a series of tabs just to get the air conditioning working or to get FM radio playing.

Many of these complaints are shared across the board with most European manufacturers. My new Benz is the same way..... very annoying!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Barf. I thought they would be a nice car but stuff like that drives me crazy too. That would be a no sell for me.

Beeping is just like... I can't. And engine turn off at stops, also not ok ever.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Many of these complaints are shared across the board with most European manufacturers. My new Benz is the same way..... very annoying!
I'm not surprised, Bruce.

This is one reason a bought a lightly used 2019 SL550, my last expensive car purchase ever.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I just love the way our Mercedes seats hugs you in the corners.:D

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
My current DD is a 2017 X5 'M Sport'. Without question the best DD I've ever owned. With that being said the current crop of BMW's are as ugly as a Lexus and are overly tech laden IMO. Probably my last BMW ........

Reactions: Bruce B and Gregadd

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
@Ron Resnick
I can totally sympathize with the BMW woes- I’ve never quite gotten used to the X5 my wife insisted on buying. I’m not sure how long you’ll have this around but a lot of the control and display annoyances can be overcome with setting up a personal profile in the vehicles computer. Getting that out of the way is part of the normal 1.5 hr “BMW for dummies” class the dealership provides prior to drive off.

Reactions: twitch

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just love the way our Mercedes seats hugs you in the corners.:D
But don't you think the latency makes it kind of useless?

• Haha
Reactions: Bruce B

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
@Ron Resnick
I can totally sympathize with the BMW woes- I’ve never quite gotten used to the X5 my wife insisted on buying. I’m not sure how long you’ll have this around but a lot of the control and display annoyances can be overcome with setting up a personal profile in the vehicles computer. Getting that out of the way is part of the normal 1.5 hr “BMW for dummies” class the dealership provides prior to drive off.
I hope we don't have it too much longer. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
As A big guy I fill up the entire seat. The side panes hold me upright in cures and exit ramps. It feels greats as theoush against my side.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As A big guy I fill up the entire seat. The side panes hold me upright in cures and exit ramps. It feels greats as theoush against my side.

Don't drive so fast! :)

Reactions: Gregadd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing