Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Since the update Roon/XDMS are not functioning apart from each other. When you toggle to Roon it should be highlighted in Green, no longer the case. When you are in Roon you shouldn't be able to access XDMS, no longer the case. My default setting is XDMS if you do a soft reboot it should resort to XDMS, no longer the case. I'm wondering if the conflicting nature was causing the horrible SQ. I'm in XDMS now and sounding great! But I no longer can access Roon!

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I guess anything is possible but I think the issues have to do with Roon itself. Hopefully the Taiko team can sort this out.

Reactions: John T

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Its too many things coinciding negatively after Build 1353...

• Sad

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The biggest issue is that updating to 1353 installed much more than RoonServer.

• Wow

John T

Feb 15, 2022
All the more that makes sense to me...

• Haha

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Thanks to @dminches for finding this nugget and posting on the XDMS Discord.

Roon made a fundamental packaging change in build 1353. They no longer provide a "RoonServer" installer on Windows, which is a headless package, not containing the Roon control app. Starting with 1353, they only have a full Roon install on Windows, so this has thrown off the way Taiko handles Roon.

For details see: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-2-0-25-is-live/255491

Going forward, we will no longer offer Roon Server as a stand-alone installer for Windows and Mac. On these platforms, there will be a single Roon installer which will include the Roon application (for selecting music and configuring Roon) and Roon Server, for users that run their Core on Windows or macOS.

I'm sure the Taiko team will sort this out.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Since the update Roon/XDMS are not functioning apart from each other. When you toggle to Roon it should be highlighted in Green, no longer the case. When you are in Roon you shouldn't be able to access XDMS, no longer the case. My default setting is XDMS if you do a soft reboot it should resort to XDMS, no longer the case. I'm wondering if the conflicting nature was causing the horrible SQ. I'm in XDMS now and sounding great! But I no longer can access Roon!
What A mess..!!

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Thanks to @dminches for finding this nugget and posting on the XDMS Discord.

Roon made a fundamental packaging change in build 1353. They no longer provide a "RoonServer" installer on Windows, which is a headless package, not containing the Roon control app. Starting with 1353, they only have a full Roon install on Windows, so this has thrown off the way Taiko handles Roon.

For details see: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-2-0-25-is-live/255491

Going forward, we will no longer offer Roon Server as a stand-alone installer for Windows and Mac. On these platforms, there will be a single Roon installer which will include the Roon application (for selecting music and configuring Roon) and Roon Server, for users that run their Core on Windows or macOS.

I'm sure the Taiko team will sort this out.
Thank You for this, it explains a lot!

Reactions: Pokey77

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Does the degradation in sound quality occur only when both updates are done to the control app as well as the server? I ask this because I found that my control app was updated to 1353 but my server remains at 1311 as auto update was disabled. On the control app I found that the center box was ticked and the update was done to 1353. Will this cause a degradation in sound quality? I asked because I don’t play Roon and I guess I’m just curious. I’m not anxious to turn Roon on.

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
There's no need to panic. This isn't the armageddon, just a software integration issue. It happens any time you rely on a 3rd party product, and that product changes something. It's not the end of civilization as we know it!

Let's be patient and give the Taiko guys some time to sort it out.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
There's no need to panic. This isn't the armageddon, just a software integration issue. It happens any time you rely on a 3rd party product, and that product changes something. It's not the end of civilization as we know it!

Let's be patient and give the Taiko guys some time to sort it out.
Your 100% correct, its just very frustrating...Especially when it just sneaks up on you...

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
No XDMS here, just Roon.

A reboot of Extreme seemed to help....

Reactions: John T

John T

Feb 15, 2022

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Also interesting that the 1353 update installed in my Extreme very fast, unlike previous Roon updates. The install into my MBP was slower.

In any case it needed a reboot of my Extreme for everything to work

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Kris, if you are running RoonServer, build 1311 then you aren't running the new version since that was the prior one.
You need to look into the applications settings and not what Roon tells you.
Roon
Roon server
you will be surprised I am correct.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
You need to look into the applications settings and not what Roon tells you.
Roon
Roon server
you will be surprised I am correct.

According to what's on my Extreme, I am running build 1311 and I haven't upgraded. That's all I know.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I seek your wisdom again: Remember the Full Frontal: Is there a simple way disable and reinstall once you disable Roon?
Those are 2 different things.
I would startup the Roon in XDMS app and than log into the extreme.
on the right lower corner you should see white Roon icon .
click it with RIGHT bottn of your mouse and disselect „start at statup”
OR
go to task manager , hit startup and disselect the Roon if its there .

deinstall Roon in windows/settings/ apps
reinstall Roon Server from icon on your desktop.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Those are 2 different things.
I would startup the Roon in XDMS app and than log into the extreme.
on the right lower corner you should see white Roon icon .
click it with RIGHT bottn of your mouse and disselect „start at statup”
OR
go to task manager , hit startup and disselect the Roon if its there .

deinstall Roon in windows/settings/ apps
reinstall Roon Server from icon on your desktop.
Thanks Kris, I've had enough for one day. Can't even use Roon now. Just XDMS...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing